Programmed with?

Hi. Im at university at the moment and took Software Programming. Right now we are leaving Java but I was always told that Java is exceptionally bad for games programming and most people use C++.

Is this totally true?

And as I suspect it is. Do you yourselves use C++?

Well C++ from what I know is getting used less year by year. As far as I know (I could be wrong) most games are beginning to be programmed using C# these days, but it is not widespread yet.

Java is unrealiable, but is used in small mini-games that you find here there and everywhere. I use C# myself since I took a few lessons in it, but I am no way near being an experienced when it comes to the actual mainstream industry and what they all use. So I could be wrong don't hold my word fto what I've said.

Just my 2 cents....

Edited by Celandril

C++ remains the most widespread programming language for games.

C# is yet another attempt by microsoft to ensure that Windows remains as top dog among operating systems. Its a language proprietary to Microsoft which is completely adapted to function solely under windows because it requires .NET to work. In its basic form it also runs within a virtual machine like JAVA does, and thus its much slower that C++

..but some of my programmer friends like it because it offers many shortcuts and there are ways to simulate .NET under Linux or MacOS aswellas as a way to compile C# directly to machine code without running it in a virtual machine.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Hi. Im at university at the moment and took Software Programming. Right now we are leaving Java but I was always told that Java is exceptionally bad for games programming and most people use C++.

Is this totally true?

And as I suspect it is. Do you yourselves use C++?

Don't worry too much about the language that you are learning in. Java is a little more straight forward of a language to learn, partly because they take care of a lot of things for you and have more failsafes to prevent stuff like memory leaks.

The first few courses you'll take will be to just get you familiar with programming methodology. Learning how to program though, goes beyond just knowing the syntax of whatever programming language you learn to use.

My data structures course was taught in Java, but it doesn't mean that I can't take what I had learned from that course and apply its principles in C++ (or any other language).

Learning a programming language is relatively easy. Learning how to program (and program well) is much more difficult, and transcends any language.

As for Java, the entire structure was based heavily on C++, as their goal was to get C++ programmers to move to Java. You'll learn little things later about pointers and whatnot, but making a transition from Java to C++ is really not that hard at all. And the only real transition you'll make will be syntax. Learning how to implement the programming ideas that you learn requires no transition. You just need to learn the syntax to get the program to do what you want it to do.

Learning a programming language is relatively easy.  Learning how to program (and program well) is much more difficult, and transcends any language.

Language is secondary indeed. We had the basic courses in Java and Scheme, which is a Lisp dialect, only to teach us diffrent programming principles... the later courses we had was mostly in C++ and while wrestling with pointers and what not can be frustrating, it wasn't that hard to get into it really when you knew the basics of how to program...

Right now I mostly use PHP.. or rather, it's the only language I've used for the last months. Having the task of creating a web based database interface for a music archive using PHP and MySQL kinda requires that.. heh.. :luck:

Oh, yeah.. should get back to it I guess, and stop wasting time on the net.

What do you want?.. blink.gif

Java - Mainly used for mobile phone games. I can't think of a Java game that has ben released to success on a PC, certainly not under windows.

C++ - It's the king, once you get your head round Java, getting your head round C++ is alot easier for alot of people. (I found java to be a destraction, I know alot of folks who love it, I don't like it so much, it's useful for making little tools quickly)

I like pointers, not alot of people do, also it's usually relatively easy to use C++ with ASM inline.

C# - To be honest from what i have seen of it, I have never actually used it, it looks alot like coding in Java, with the added benefit of Direct X, I'm not sure if its a contender, but I'm pretty sure it's not fast enough for cutting edge games technology.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me