NWN2 Multiplatform Support

Link

I'll make it short and sweet: Post there to express interest (if you're even interested) in Neverwinter Nights 2 Mac/Unix/Linux ports.

Why is this important? A lot of the current NWN servers are run on Linux. I, myself, and transitioning to pure Linux for personal reasons and would like to see it.

How about you?

[insert begging here with promise of asexual favors]

Note: From what I understand the OE guys are fancying the idea but it's Atari's call. Even some of the Atari staff are putting their support in for it.

Edited by AngryKidJoe

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Count me in.

However (native) Linux port of NWN2 is unlikely to happen, since it is DirectX-based. ;) Let's just hope Wine will have a stable DirectX port by the time NWN2 is out.

Also, has anyone tried Cedega? It is a Wine-based commercial project that focuses on running games on Linux. It seems to have a good support of recent games (Heroes V, Oblivion).

As soon as Linux handles games properly, I'm switching. I wish all developers took their responsibility seriously and made all their games OS-independant. I just don't understand why they all keep solidifying Microsoft's monopoly on the OS-market, without even getting paid by Microsoft for it. It seems stupid.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

As soon as Linux handles games properly, I'm switching. I wish all developers took their responsibility seriously and made all their games OS-independant. I just don't understand why they all keep solidifying Microsoft's monopoly on the OS-market, without even getting paid by Microsoft for it. It seems stupid.

Because it's cheaper?

Besides, they do receive support from Microsoft with respect to DirectX and whatnot.

It's just as much of a reflection of the consumer base as it is "solidifying Microsoft's monopoly on the OS-market." It costs money to make it for Linux, and likely wouldn't result in that big of a turn around. Yeah, you might get decent Linux sales, but it's hard to say if they wouldn't have had some of those sales if it was Windows only. There is a large crossover.

I'm not sure how you can accuse them of being irresponsible. You could argue it would be irresponsible for them as a business to waste resources for negligible return.

To be perfectly frank, can you imagine how much more difficult things would be if there was an even wider assortment of basic operating systems available? Not only would a developer of PC games have to deal with different hardware issues, they'd have to deal with the nuances of different OSes. Including how those different operating systems deal with the different hardware! I suspect it'd be a mass exodus of PC gaming, as it'd become much less coss effective (than it already can be) to make a game for the PC.

Yes, because it's cheaper and more flexible. Also, I hate the idea of Vista.. I just wish there were alternatives.

And YES, I think game developers are irresponsible. There are plenty of examples of game developers that are able to release Linux versions (or Linux compatible versions) of their games, without actually expanding their budget beyond reasonable levels. It's the choice of using only DirectX GL that's the big mistake, and it's what removes Linux as a choice for me, as a games reviewer. Everything else is ready for me to use in Linux (although with a rather steep lurning curve), except games. Who should I blame? The unidentified faceless mass of consumers? Useless. If game developers made Linux a viable option, I am sure even that slow moving mass of consumers would start looking at Linux in a different light.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

However (native) Linux port of NWN2 is unlikely to happen, since it is DirectX-based. :shifty:

That would require rewriting most of the engine from scratch, which isnt feasible.

Let's just hope Wine will have a stable DirectX port by the time NWN2 is out.

Also, has anyone tried Cedega? It is a Wine-based commercial project that focuses on running games on Linux. It seems to have a good support of recent games (Heroes V, Oblivion).

That seems really interesting, if someone finds a way to make Dx9 and maybe even Dx10 to Linux then Ill definently switch.

With the comming of Windows Nazi

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the newer UT games DX based? They all have native Linux clients from what I've been reading.

Anyway, thank you for the signs. Even just pointing out that people have an interest in mutliplatform support these days is a step forward. I'd like to seen Microsoft at least have a run for their money in PC gaming. I like the XBOX and all, but when it comes to PCs - Meh.

I am in fact installing Linux (Kubuntu) on an older comp right now.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That's what I'm running right now. A lot of people are saying games don't run faster on Linux. Some people they do, some they don't I guess. It's kind of hard not to notice a smooth 60 fps in DooM 3 compared to XP's 25-60 choppiness. NWN is a bit random just because of the engine, though.

Yes, because it's cheaper and more flexible. Also, I hate the idea of Vista.. I just wish there were alternatives.

It may be cheaper and more flexible, but it's also way less easier to use (you conceded this point as well).

Furthermore, I think you underestimate Microsoft's relationships with games companies and hardware manufacturers for supporting DirectX. They work with ATI and nVidia for drivers as well as hardware features. They work with game companies to expand and improve the DirectX library. When John Carmack is starting to sway at the impressiveness of DirectX, I wonder how much longer OpenGL will still be used for gaming.

And YES, I think game developers are irresponsible. There are plenty of examples of game developers that are able to release Linux versions (or Linux compatible versions) of their games, without actually expanding their budget beyond reasonable levels.

Well, to be frank, i don't think most developers have that kind of freedom in regards to their budget. I think most publishers may have a say on how their money 'ought to be spent, and i'm thinking helping linux to become a better gaming platform isn't one of their top priorities...

Edited by Lyric Suite

I'd have to agree with you. From a company's view, it isn't a top priority, nor should it be to be honest. I, personally as a Linux user, would like to see that change. Coding for one OS is easier and cheaper and still generates a hell of a lot of money considering the monopoly MS has.

If enough people show their support it might become a common thing to see Linux ports. I would very much like to see that.

Edit: The dev's are probably looking at this saying "Damn it! He's trying to make more work for me!" :-:-"

Edited by AngryKidJoe

I think the responsibility lies more in the linux community. They need to convince game developers that it's easy (and profitable) to make games for linux. I also think they just flat out need to keep trying to expand their user base.

With DirectX out there though, it's a tough sell.

Edited by alanschu

That's the whole point of the huge post at Atari. There's 35 pages of people posting their interest. It's even been cut down for spam and a multi-posting. I'm actually surprised at that.

What question I have running through my head is how many posts is it going to need for Atari to say "There's a profit here."

I know about middle-men and all that, but if you take $50 and multiply it by the 1000 posts it already has... $50,000. I'm sure there are a bucket of technical factors, but I think you guys can get the point I'm desperately trying to make.

But sometimes you wonder what software developers are thinking with. Like how 3ds MAX8 uses DirectX to render in-program instead of OpenGL making it impossible to port it to workstations, MacOSX and Linux.

Games you can understand but the above is just plain being talked to shoot yourself in the foot.

Yes, it can be a shot in the foot. But at what point would an alternative OS user decide to step and say "What about me?!" If everything goes DirectX and is incompatable with porting to another OS the alternative user can't do anything but get shot in the foot and hopefully 'next time' things will be different.

That's the whole point of the huge post at Atari. There's 35 pages of people posting their interest. It's even been cut down for spam and a multi-posting. I'm actually surprised at that.

What question I have running through my head is how many posts is it going to need for Atari to say "There's a profit here."

I know about middle-men and all that, but if you take $50 and multiply it by the 1000 posts it already has... $50,000. I'm sure there are a bucket of technical factors, but I think you guys can get the point I'm desperately trying to make.

The thing is though, do all 1000 of those people not buy the game if it doesn't come out for Linux?