Ubisoft officially dumps Starforce

zer"0"

I actually think the concern about piracy is for the most part legitimate.

Kudos to Bethesda for being optimistic and taking the approach that should hinder the least amout of legitimate users. I suppose that that is an advantage of being your own publisher as well.

It's one of those things that is hard to prove though, as the only ones interested in proving it are the businesses, and they are immediately discreditted because of bias.

I guess Bethesda should be careful, or those making Starfarce will get 'em. :("

Legit purchasers will always outweigh the number of thieves out there...

I have a feeling those getting worked up about putting copy protection on their wares are just worried about what amounts to "chump change"

Ok.

It usually takes 1-2 weeks for the first cracks to appear online.

A title is considered successful if it makes money in the first 1-2 weeks of release, like movies.

So the copy protection could simply be to make sure the consumers need to buy the product 1-2 weeks of release.

If piracy of their title can be delayed for the first 1-2 weeks, they make their and everybody is happy.

Right?

Ok.

It usually takes 1-2 weeks days for the first cracks to appear online.

A title is considered successful if it makes money in the first 1-2 weeks of release, like movies.

Fixed.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

On rare occasions games are even available to pirate before they are released.

Starforce has been the most succesful in delaying cracks, mostly because the crack groups weren't able to create decent tools to crack it with. I think they have now though so SF games get cracked a lot quicker these days. At least until a new version comes out.

Kudos to Bethesda.

Agreed.

I think the "threat" of piracy is just an urban legend made to scare greedy people :)

Pretty much is. As stated there are far more people buying things legit than illegal.

It doesn't mean that there aren't significant financial losses for those that are illegally acquiring the software.

There's also far more people that use games that have copy protection that never have an issue with it than people that have a problem, yet people against copy protection have no problems bringing up those issues.