metadigital

Are you lucky?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Are you lucky?

• Yes
    • No
    • I make my own luck
    • I am not superstitious

Well anyway, you could say it was lucky for me that I saw this thread, and got to vent a little.

Just imagine, for a moment, that you were born in some small African country, where the local Christian and Muslim representatives are trying to outdo each other in their race to the bottom to win over the lowest common denominator of the uneducated population by denigrating homosexuals and advocating their punishment by abuse, dismemberment, ostracization and even death. Feeling a little bit luckier, now? :blink:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, as I said, I (and many of us) can consider ourselves lucky not to be born into anything like that. It is, of course, sad that quite many are.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I believe God has intervened in my life a few times, like when I could've died. Although, I wouldn't have minded leaving this wonderful world.

One thing that I think is interesting is how eastern thinking seems more prone to attributing things to "destiny". Or am I totally wrong?

I don't mean to go all selfpity on you peope, but I could have done with a better neighborhood. Maybe I wouldn't been bullied for almost a decade then. Maybe I wouldn't be so socially secluded and semi-shy right now. I mean, heck my friends are awesome and not only some folks I met on teh nets, but I could really have done with some real life. Now I just sit here and hope for a change. Oh well, it's probably just me, I don't really believe in luck.

Lucius, does this mean you feelings for me were always real? :thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I dunno, I was pretty quasi-social before I bought Finntroll's Jaktens Tid around 2003.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I don't mean to go all selfpity on you peope, but I could have done with a better neighborhood. Maybe I wouldn't been bullied for almost a decade then. Maybe I wouldn't be so socially secluded and semi-shy right now. I mean, heck my friends are awesome and not only some folks I met on teh nets, but I could really have done with some real life. Now I just sit here and hope for a change. Oh well, it's probably just me, I don't really believe in luck.

Lucius, does this mean you feelings for me were always real? :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's all wub here dude. ;)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

While I often say "That was lucky" to express "wow, you beat the odds" or whatever, I do not actually believe in luck. :(

Same here.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

That's just the statitical law of averages, not luck.

And how do you rationalize those poor people born under egregious circumstances in countries where life expectancy is diminished by their lack of health and continual wars, versus someone born into a Royal Family, say?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

That's just the statitical law of averages, not luck.

And how do you rationalize those poor people born under egregious circumstances in countries where life expectancy is diminished by their lack of health and continual wars, versus someone born into a Royal Family, say?

Life expectancy is around 40-50 years of age. After that you are kept alive by doctors and pharmaceutical companies. Mostly. With exceptions. No?

The poor countries are in that state mostly because of the west, who exploit and destroy the environment, polluting the water and making them sick, limiting ressources and territories causing wars. It's actually more complicated then that but in a nutshell, this is how it is I think.

Luck is relative to the type of existence methinks.

Example: For me, being lucky would be getting a raise this week, with a counter-balance of bad luck on something like my TV suddenly giving up on life(I'm relatively poor and getting a new TV would take some time...).

For a child living in the "crappiest" of crap holes in Africa, being lucky could be finding an old tire to play with, followed by the bad luck of stepping on a rusty metal spike hidden in the sand.

Are we all unlucky of not being God? :)

Meh

while I follow your thought patterns astr0creep .. wouldn't you consider it extremely lucky just being born in "The West" opposed to a 3rd world country?

I mean is it the same amount of luck when you get a raise (= filthy rich compared to 80% of the planet) as when a poor child finds a tire? I would consider you a hell of a lot luckier..

Fortune favors the bald.

while I follow your thought patterns astr0creep .. wouldn't you consider it extremely lucky just being born in "The West" opposed to a 3rd world country?

I mean is it the same amount of luck when you get a raise (= filthy rich compared to 80% of the planet) as when a poor child finds a tire? I would consider you a hell of a lot luckier..

Do people in 3rd world countries walk around moping at their bad luck?

No luck for me! There was an amazing hot dancer in the Dominican Republic named Tamica that performed in the theater shows. She was far too talented and hot that even the guys in drunken stupors wouldn't ask her to dance. I had finally worked up the nerve, but I really had to go to the bathroom. So I quickly ducked out to go to the bathroom, and when I returned, I saw her leaving out the door.

Opportunity missed! Argh!

:)

EDIT: AstroCreep, an interesting observation while in the Dominican Republic is that the people seemed to be, on the whole, much happier and friendlier than back home. And they are certainly not a rich country.

Edited by alanschu

Bad luck today. My car drifted off the dirt road I live on and hit the embankment. The embankment along this section of the road consists of granite boulders. Front left corner is all bent in and the driver's side door now pops and screeches when you open and close it. :)

On the bright side I looked over it after checking to make sure it's still driving okay, and the engine compartment is untouched as well as the suspension and wheel well. The bumper and the fender absorbed all the damage while leaving the rest of the car untouched and it was a piece of junk in the first place. :)

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

EDIT:  AstroCreep, an interesting observation while in the Dominican Republic is that the people seemed to be, on the whole, much happier and friendlier than back home.  And they are certainly not a rich country.

That was going to be my next point.

I lived for over 6 months in Indonesia, West Timor, in the late 80s. I travelled frequently on many of the islands and one thing that was both constant and surprising for a westerner like me was seeing how truly happy these "poor" people were.

I would've given an arm to feel as happy as they seem to be.

Luck, riches and happyness are very relative things imo.

Do people in 3rd world countries walk around moping at their bad luck?

::Thinks of Afganistan, Earthquake ravenged areas of Pakistan and Sudan::

I think their to busy trying to stay alive to kick cans and bitch, but yes.

Would it be any different if such a powerful earthquake would hit a major city in a "developped" country? Would we feel just as unlucky as they do or would we feel more unlucky, or less?