Good Music Download Sites

Hurlshort

I've been thinking about buying less CD's and more singles off the internet, but I'm not sure what's the best service. I don't have an Ipod, so I hesitate to use Itunes. I do have a PSP and, once I buy a better memory chip, I plan on using that for more music.

Personally, I prefer to use Windows Media Player to play music on my computer. I'm also not looking for free music, I'm just looking for a decent value. I don't plan on collecting thousands of songs either, probably just a hundred or so of the ones I have trouble finding or I don't think are worth the cost of a CD.

Any suggestions?

BLEEP.COM rocks, they have no DRM(digital rights managment) protection like iTunes. DRM sucks, it blocks freedom of your own music. Bleep sells straight MP3's with no hidden codes. :(

Also 3hive.com has good free music, mostly indie and electronic, good stuff :wub:

You could also try one of the Russian music sites that I dare not post. They have some quirks that let them sell others intellectual properties without giving the creators money, unless they ask.

PS don't buy from iTunes.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

What's the internet?

But seriously, I don't buy music off the net. I don't know what programs are good or bad these days, but I do know that Audiogalaxy (R.I.P.) was the greatest music download site back in the day. You could find the most obscure stuff on there and at good speeds too.

I would stay away from iTunes. Use a service that gives you honest-to-God mp3s, not some proprietary crap you need five codecs to play in winamp. Many mp3 players don't play the various weird file types some programs create, so that's something else to consider. I also don't trust windows media player, because it has the annoying habit of rearranging your "My Music" folder, retitling all your songs and putting them in different folders.

Damn independent computers.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I used emusic for a bit, and though if you're into popular music its probaly not the place for you. I think mostly all the stuff is small indie labels, but one advantage is that you can download a song as many times as you want and only get charged once. My friend stephen and I have been taking advantage of that "lending" each others accounts to each other and such.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.