External QA firms

astr0creep

Well I cant tell you from the inside...

It must help in some way however. Many people in the industry started as simple testers (wheter or not they got promoted by a friend I cannot say). I believe even Feargus Urquhart started as a tester if I remember correctly.

Maybe it all changed since then...

NWN2_FR_MAGIE_729_90.jpg

People at Obsidian who have worked QA:

Feargus Urquhart

Darren Monahan

Ferret Baudoin

There are dozens of others -Snap because part of other topic-

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

From what Ive heard here too, starting in QA and working your way up is not feasible anymore. Youre pretty much locked at the level you come in nowadays.

My great grandfather actually changed our family name from that which you joked at to my current last name.  That is why my last name is not spelled Bullock, which is much more common. I have no idea why my ancestor would want to have changed that though...

So you're Mr. "bew-lock" and not Mr. "Bull-ock" ? :p

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well I cant tell you from the inside...

It must help in some way however. Many people in the industry started as simple testers (wheter or not they got promoted by a friend I cannot say). I believe even Feargus Urquhart started as a tester if I remember correctly.

Maybe it all changed since then...

I suppose on-site QA(external QA hired to test internally at dev/pub's offices) could have some reward, if one can suck enough behinds that is.

From what Ive heard here too, starting in QA and working your way up is not feasible anymore. Youre pretty much locked at the level you come in nowadays.

So you're Mr. "bew-lock" and not Mr. "Bull-ock" ? :p

I would disagree with you on your first point. It is very much still feasible to work one's way up from internal QA. It is harder these days as more and more people are earning qualifications through other means (college programs, mod communities) but getting in the building and showing a fantastic work ethic will still open up possibilities.

And on the last name, that is correct, though I haven't stopped anyone from calling me "Bull-ock" in a very long time.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

It is very much still feasible to work one's way up from internal QA.

Is this something you keep telling yourself to keep your personal morale up or something that you know for sure though?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It is very much still feasible to work one's way up from internal QA.

Is this something you keep telling yourself to keep your personal morale up or something that you know for sure though?

From internal QA, I think it is possible to climb the ladder. In theory, anybody can be a game designer. To be a good one though you need more knowledge of video games, something you can acquire a great deal of when doing QA.

My main gripe is with external QA firm. Those I believe are dead ends for testers who want to go up in this industry. The only salvation that I can think of for external QA testers would be on-site testing.

To have a possibilty of making some contacts outside of the external QA firm.

Funny you should mention that.  My great grandfather actually changed our family name from that which you joked at to my current last name.  That is why my last name is not spelled Bullock, which is much more common. I have no idea why my ancestor would want to have changed that though...

Somewhere up the family tree, the pronunciation of my last name changed from the standard German Schumacher (Shoo-mach-er) to Shoemaker. I never really looked into it, but I imagine it's because of the trends many German immigrants followed of changing the spelling/pronunciation of their last name to mask their German ancestry in and around the World Wars.