Space Rangers 2

karka

It's pretty good. Not the bestest game ever, but worth playing.

(you should read the Codex review before reading my comments or part of them will not make sense)

It gets very repetetive in the end though, at least it did for me. Fight upon fight upong fight against the Dominator forces after I had the best equipment available for my ship and maxed out all the stats. Probably my own fault for wanting to have as good gear as possible before taking the fight to the enemy, before that I was mostly defending or assisting in liberation efforts.

The RTS segments were actually quite fun. I don't like RTS much, but there are a few of them I can stand and this was one of them. They were very easy though, I think only one caused me any real headaches.

The text-based quests were pretty bad though. Really bad even. Partly because the english translation wasn't all that, but mostly because they were dull. MCA talked in his Codex interview about not breaking up the action with too much text and these did exactly that. Some were ok, most were really dull (and yes, you could simply not do that type of quests, but the reward was generally pretty good and at times getting quests at all could be difficult).

The quests overall were very similar. There was basically 4 different types of quests, and then the text ones and the RTS ones. Which is another reason it felt kinda repetetive in the end.

My review.

Probably the best game I played last year - but it won't appeal to everyone. I really disagree the text adventures were that bad - they were one of the things I liked the most. They were a little uneven but I think they played an important role in breaking up the main gameplay so it didn't get repetitive.

I wouldn't have minded the text adventures so much if two things had happened:

The English would have been decent.

and

the text on every "page" would have been cut in half. There was so much pointless filler (and presented in the aforementioned bad English) that reading a single page felt like a chore.

Some of them were better than others.

Edit: Was the pinball part totally optional? I only ventured into a black hole once, but that time felt like something I had to do.

when you went in to take down the Dominator boss that lived in Hyper-Space

Edited by Spider

I didn't find the translation much of a problem and I liked the text - I found it very descriptive with entertaining background stories, which was what made them more interesting for me than the simple underlying puzzle.

Each to his own.

Edit: the black holes?

You need it for one of the bosses, although I've read there are other ways of doing it.

You can get lots of unique artifacts, so they are worth doing.

Edited by Dhruin