Starforce copy protection = winner

Llyranor

I am typically of the mind that we tend to be more tech savvy, and finding games is pretty easy for us. It isn't really a hard thing to do...as long as you have an idea on what you are doing.

I think it's understated how effective "casual piracy" such as simply burning a CD after you buy a game and giving it to friends.

Though I do think the increased popularity of P2P software for music is making this distinction less obvious, as people become more familiar with sharing files over the internet.

Edited by alanschu

They say "cost of media" for that 5$. I paid for GalCiv2 45+5+10 = 60$

But i don't regret. I like to support Indie Developers and Shareware products.

If you bought it from Stardock, you should still be able to d/l the game and play it right now anyways.

Yes, i can play it now. But my key will expire very soon. When you buy the box version(upgrade from the Stardock version), they give you a new key, and your old key expires in 30 days. But my box is still on the way, so i don't know what my new key is.

centinexx.png

I am typically of the mind that we tend to be more tech savvy, and finding games is pretty easy for us.  It isn't really a hard thing to do...as long as you have an idea on what you are doing.

I think it's understated how effective "casual piracy" such as simply burning a CD after you buy a game and giving it to friends.

Though I do think the increased popularity of P2P software for music is making this distinction less obvious, as people become more familiar with sharing files over the internet.

Problem with that is that if you took away "casual piracy," the mass consumer will likely get pissed. Go after the hardcore pirates, and the public is behind you every step of the way. Go after the casual buyers, and the public might very well turn against you. It's a fine line that big business is just beginning to learn.

Personally, Stardock's approach seems the most farsighted. We are entering a digital age where the Net is poised to become a household item just as television did. Continuous, free updates along with multiplayer services are extremely good at dissuading piracy. That's one of the reasons why the MMORPG model is so attractive: you can emulate a MMORPG, but never to the quality of service provided by the commercial product. Quality service can't be pirated - at least not easily - and therefore represents the best bulwak.

Sadly, this is an issue for single player RPGs, which are expected to be complete out of the box. You can always add new units and maps and features to strategy and FPS games, but what can you do in the case of CRPGs where the first run-through is all that really matters?

There are doors

Problem with that is that if you took away "casual piracy," the mass consumer will likely get pissed.  Go after the hardcore pirates, and the public is behind you every step of the way.  Go after the casual buyers, and the public might very well turn against you.  It's a fine line that big business is just beginning to learn.

What do you mean "if they take away casual piracy?" It's effectively already gone. Especially if you take the context that I was using it in (which I think you are since you quoted the text).

Problem with that is that if you took away "casual piracy," the mass consumer will likely get pissed.  Go after the hardcore pirates, and the public is behind you every step of the way.  Go after the casual buyers, and the public might very well turn against you.  It's a fine line that big business is just beginning to learn.

What do you mean "if they take away casual piracy?" It's effectively already gone. Especially if you take the context that I was using it in (which I think you are since you quoted the text).

I was thinking more in lines of movies and music, sorry. In terms of software, "casual piracy" nowadays seems to involve passing a CD and telling the person how to download the NoCD crack.

My point is that there is only a certain degree of control you can have over what consumers do with their media before you start overstepping your bounds and starting losing sales. In terms of games, Starforce might be very close to that line.

There are doors

I was thinking more in lines of movies and music, sorry. In terms of software, "casual piracy" nowadays seems to involve passing a CD and telling the person how to download the NoCD crack.

It's not. You'd be surprised how many people have no idea how to crack a game. Many of them that might be adventurous enough to do so are paranoid that they'll get a virus. Given that CD burning software is exceptionally pervasive now, the ability to click "Copy CD to CD" is just as common. People are becoming more technically savvy, thanks in large part to the file sharing exposure people are getting with the online music distribution, so the NoCD crack phase will increase.

A base my assessment on the 6 or so years I worked in sales and service, in addition to conversations with my Dad (who runs his own computer store) as well as friends that do work in sales and service. It's not the most empirical, but I certainly feel it's more representative than most of the conversations I have with my friends who are computer savvy.

My point is that there is only a certain degree of control you can have over what consumers do with their media before you start overstepping your bounds and starting losing sales. In terms of games, Starforce might be very close to that line.

I agree. I never really stated otherwise.

I kind of agree.  While I can see the concerns of the producers, the real effects punish legitimate users while the pirates will crack it anyway and ironically be better off than the legitimate users stuck with StarForce.

I think this perspective is an easy one to take because we cannot see the perspective of the big business.

The effectiveness of copyprotection goes far beyond the "well it gets cracked anyways" argument, and is pretty much a guess for anyone because any numbers that get shown from the corporation or copyprotectors is automatically dismissed, and AFAIK no "impartial" study has ever really been done. There's schools of thought based on theory, but the theory is typically only supported anecdotally.

There were a shedload of copy-protection systems used for the Apple ][, I remember. Ironically one of the toughest was used for the Locksmith programme (diskcopy utility: wouldn't copy itself but would copy a disk bit by binary bit from one drive to another).

There must be some actual hard figures out there, because there were people who sold software sans-protection as well as some pretty draconian methods (like the dongle used by AutoCAD).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT