First FFXII review

Vagrant Story was crap? Yeah, I could see how you would come to that conclusion if you were a total idiot or something. Famitsu gave this a ten, eh? That's really impressive.

Edited by Nartwak

Vagrant Story was crap? Yeah, I could see how you would come to that conclusion if you were a total idiot or something. Famitsu gave this a ten, eh? That's really impressive.

I came across it when I opened my PS (to play FFIV) really can't recall a great deal about the game. Perhaps I should play it again.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I like the advert; it always seems like the Final Fantasy attacks are stupidly over-powered. Like channelling the energy fourteen large black holes into a flying kick to an opponent, that does several hundred hitpoints of damage (and gives them a broken fingernail).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've played Vagrant Story too. It's just an endless romp through different dungeons. It has some kind of weird realtime combat where time stops when you press the action button and you get to decide where onyour opponent you want to hit, almost like in Fallout. But it makes the realtime useless, because there's no skill involved and combat becomes a chore of going through menus of which bodypart you want to harm next.

I thought it was boring and extremely overrated too.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I really tried to love JRPG's. I played FFV, FFVII, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Grandia 2, Mario RPG's... They were all boring, simple games. I won't spend my money on those craps anymore.

I would still recommend Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King. It's linear, but in a good way. You have a huge world to explore, by foot, boat, tiger or flying. The combat is really old school (no positioning) and you just take turns beating up on each other. The story is surprisingly well-written with a lovely twist at the end (or actually, both endings, because you get to play through a different ending after you've completed the game once.. a much more satisfying ending).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes, i am an idiot.

Damn it! That's the wind out of my sails. :) I'm sorry karka.

I came across it when I opened my PS (to play FFIV) really can't recall a great deal about the game. Perhaps I should play it again.

I'm not surprised you didn't get into it. The gameplay mechanics are quite obstruse, and the storyline is also fairly convoluted.

I'm not surprised you didn't get into it. The gameplay mechanics are quite obstruse, and the storyline is also fairly convoluted.

I'm not even sure I played it. It's strange to find a disk in a console I'm quite particular about removing them and putting them back in the boxes.

What year was it released?Perhaps that will shed some light on it.

Sounds like just the sort of thing I'd enjoy too.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Didn't find VS particularly memorable. The story was compelling enough, with nice cutscene direction. There just wasn't enough of it to matter (or rather, quality didn't make up for lack of quantity). Combat was made needlessly tedious. It was worth one playthrough, but no more than that.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The scans from Famitsu magazine(Japan's largest gaming-mag) are around the 'net. Search them yourself.

Anyway the score is a perfect 10 = 10/10/10/10 from all four reviewers. Which is pretty impressive, since:

1) It's the first Final Fantasy to do so.

2) Only 5 games in the magazine's history has managed to get the same score:

- Ocarina of Time

- Vagrant Story

- Soul Calibur

- The Wind Waker

- Nintendogs

And now, FFXII is the sixth. What was the european releasedate again?

I'll wait for an american review.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I really tried to love JRPG's. I played FFV, FFVII, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Grandia 2, Mario RPG's... They were all boring, simple games. I won't spend my money on those craps anymore.

Well, atleast you tried them before you decided you didn't like them, that's far more then many CRPG players do. :rolleyes:

@ Topic

My interest in this game has easily doubled. I honestly thought the game was going to bomb, but now... there is a chance it won't. :)

I've read some what some people who can read/speak japanese said at other forums. I take it that it is from the Dangeki "first impressions"-page. Most of it is about "great story" and "fun gameplay" but one previewer was 50 hours in and isn't anyway near finishing it and the other was clocking at 100 hours and was at the end.

Is the game long, or are the japanese slow?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Anyway, it'd be interesting to see *HOW* the game tackles nonlinearity. Otherwise, the JRPG style of linear of storytelling is getting stale. Until there's an evolution, I don't hold much interest in the genre. Either way, I don't see myself getting out of my way to play this one.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Anyway, it'd be interesting to see *HOW* the game tackles nonlinearity. Otherwise, the JRPG style of linear of storytelling is getting stale. Until there's an evolution, I don't hold much interest in the genre. Either way, I don't see myself getting out of my way to play this one.

Who said the game wasn't going to be linear?

It will have more to explore... giving it a less linear feel from what I've read.