No Fallout 3 at E3 2006

karka

I have mixed feelings about the "see the reaction" prior to making your decision.

On the one hand, it seems silly to be able to know the reaction before hand. On the other hand, when I talk with people in real life I doubt I'm quite as blind as I am in a video game when thinking of appropriate things to say to an individual.

It'd be really cool if this was affected by some sort of maniuplation attribute or something, and lower scores would result in less significant "prediction" (is he smiling, or is it just an idle animation?), or perhaps even incorrect readings.

I don't see how Bethesda can make a proper Fallout 3 at all. It isn't something they do well. I have played Morrowind, both expansions, and PotC game. They are okay games, except for PotC which stunk to high heaven, but ultimately boring games. Bethesda apoligists are saying we aren't giving them a chance and that might be well and true but this is Fallout.

Fallout is the best CRPG ever made. It had the most perfect balance of rules, story, tactical combat, and style of any CRPG I have ever played. There has yet been a better CRPG.

Now I am a reasonable person. Too expect Fallout 3 to play and look like Fallout 1 100% is a bit ridiculous. That being said it is equally ridiculous to expect people who loved the Fallout CRPGs to accept a Fallout 3 with only real time combat done in first person point of view.

Bethesda makes okay open ended FANTASY first person POV CRPGs. Bethesda has yet made an impressive fantasy game by my standards so what hope do they have in making an impressive science fiction CRPG? Baldur's Gate was impressive in its day. The Elder Scrolls 1: Arena was not. Planescape Torment was a very impressive game given the style of the setting and the overall story factor of the game. Sadly, Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall was not.

Bethesda is the very last people I would want to make a Fallout game. I would be perfectly happy with them making a new Ultima Underworld game or even taking the Thief license for those game would be closer to their style. Fallout is nothing like what they have done before. Nothing in style, content, or genre.

Edited by 6 Foot Invisible Rabbit

Harvey

Hey Alan, to quote a genius, "Can you resume the petty bickering?". That was the frst part of this thread I found to be truly interesting.

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

Darque, if I wasn't already married.......

No, seriously, that's nail-on-head. Exactly how I was looking at it.

I am not going to go into that old argument again.

That is all well and good for you, Darque, but for me Fallout is more that just setting and story. Nothing in the world is going to change my opinion.

Fallout is the culmination of Setting, Story, Rules System, Graphical and Musical styles, and so forth. What makes Fallout Fallout is sum of its parts, and it must be taken as a whole or not at all.

Now I am not expecting Fallout 3 to be a carbon copy of Fallout 1 but I most certainly do not want to total revamping of the game. Might as well play FOPOS then if you want something like that.

Harvey

Nothing in the world is going to change  my opinion.

Not even if the game is good?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Nothing in the world is going to change  my opinion.

Not even if the game is good?

He's got you there. Swearing something off will only make you a bigger hypocrite later when it actually turns out people love it and you get caught on tape sneaking out of (insert game outlet of choice here) in a Fedora and fake moustache with a copy of it.

Edited by SSgtSniper

Darque, I am not inflexible. Gabs is inflexible, I am not.

What I want to see is a Fallout 3 that uses SPECIAL in full (with some necessary tweaking so that it runs smoother) that is equally done well for real time and turn based combat. I want both combat styles. Real time would be great for the easy combats but for major boss fights strategy may require the player to go in turn base mode. As for the camera angles I want to see it be player controlled as in NWN so that one can have their 3/4 view or zoom in to First Person view (playing NWN in FPV was weird though).

Harvey

I've noticed a bad trend of deflecting criticism towards Gabs.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Laozi, I'm not going there. Gabrielle.... spooks me from time to time. I think she enjoys it too.

Hey, I think Gabs is a great person and I love to have her around, but she is far more inflexible on the issue of Fallout 3 than I am. I just don't want to see Oblvion with Guns while at the same time I am most certainly not expecting a carbon copy of Fallout 1.

I am looking for a healthy middle ground between the two.

Harvey

Fallout is the culmination of Setting, Story, Rules System, Graphical and Musical styles, and so forth.  What makes Fallout Fallout is sum of its parts, and it must be taken as a whole or not at all.

I am looking for a healthy middle ground between the two.

Wait... what? :thumbsup:

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.