Magic vs. Technology

Ginthaeriel

Put sword in place of lightsaber and what do you get?

An 18 rating :)

I am to assume that means blood and gore? Lightsaber would cauterize the wound.

Yep lop Lukes hand off and it would be gushing like a fountain. And who knows what sort of mess Anakin would be in with no legs and one arm. Certainly not going to live long enough to stick him in his suit anyway.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm not saying that life is essentially out of control, rather, I am saying that the popularity of the SciFiFantasy genre is based on feelings of powerlessness.

However, it does not seem that you disagree with my thesis that escapism is, at the very least, a large factor in the popularity of the genre.

For example, I think Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness says more about the nature of evil than any Drizzt book ever will.

Hmm. I still don't agree with the predicate of powerlessness. I think it is irrelevant, though I do confess to not seeing the link between your introductory remarks and magic and technology ...

Literature is replete with the stuff of our mindscape: aspirations, temptations, frailties, etc. Both these examples are fiction; I think that is the point, rather than the use of fantasy or escapism. There is no reason why Joseph Conrad's prose should engender more philosophical weight.

I don't think Sci Fi/Fantasy is the best genre for doing that, then. The amount of time devoted to creating the setting and describing it would, in my opinion, get in the way of a good character study. This is just me, but I find that many personal "flaws" possessed by the heroes of Sci Fi/Fantasy stories are really nothing but well-tread gimmicks these days.

Depends on your definition of SF. :lol:

I like just-future (or alternative past / time stream), verisimiliar fiction. There is no excuse for clich

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Put sword in place of lightsaber and what do you get?

An 18 rating :(

I am to assume that means blood and gore? Lightsaber would cauterize the wound.

Yep lop Lukes hand off and it would be gushing like a fountain. And who knows what sort of mess Anakin would be in with no legs and one arm. Certainly not going to live long enough to stick him in his suit anyway.

If anything he would have died of shock if he did not bleed to death.

Any how if I wanted technology I would play a post apocalyptic game or one of my favorite sci-fi series Star Wars or Star Trek. I really prefer not to have technology in a fantasy setting.

Why not ?

Magic vs technology gives you one of those stages for conflict which are not related to the usual good/evil stuff. Could make for an interesting game. If you dislike technology in a fantasy setting create a character that does everything they can to prevent technology from spreading. If you want to have technology then make a character who promotes and seeks to spread it's use. Which ever you choose the other side will try to stop you not because you are good or evil, just because they disagree with your goals.

With regards to the FR it's had technology for a long time. It really should be reflected in the CRPGs or it's not really the FR.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yep lop Luke's hand off and it would be gushing like a fountain. And who knows what sort of mess Anakin would be in with no legs and one arm. Certainly not going to live long enough to stick him in his suit anyway.

If anything he would have died of shock if he did not bleed to death.

As much as Mark Hamill would dislike this early demise of his legitimate acting career and hsaten his slide into the XXX realm, I kinda think the benefits of not having the worst part of the trilogy ever made would be worth it.

Eeeewwwww... star trek :(

Quiet you! :Darque:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I rather like the way Dragonlance handled tech...the "tinker gnomes" were always experimenting with it and sometimes got it right...but, there were, shall we say, side effects.

Meh, that's just magic with an alternate feel.

A true Magic/Tech setting would be something like Mageknight

There is a miniatures game out that is pretty popular right now called WarMachine.

Basically, you are a mage-general commanding steam-powered exoskeletons called "warjacks".

The setting is supposed to be fantasy but steam power is 19th century....actually, I have no problem with that...it is not really a time period, per se. It is just that certain things lend themselves to fantasy while others do not. And, of course, it is highly subjective.

There is a miniatures game out that is pretty popular right now called WarMachine.

Basically, you are a mage-general commanding steam-powered exoskeletons called "warjacks".

The setting is supposed to be fantasy but steam power is 19th century....actually, I have no problem with that...it is not really a time period, per se. It is just that certain things lend themselves to fantasy while others do not. And, of course, it is highly subjective.

Think steam power was something the Greeks came up with. Didnt catch on because slaves were so much cheaper.

478327[/snapback]

Think steam power was something the Greeks came up with. Didnt catch on because slaves were so much cheaper.

well, one of things that makes the Western man's middle ages so exciting is that it was, in many ways, a step backward.

there is a reason why we don't tell our children about the Byzantine Empire...it just wasn't as exciting.

I've heard of this game, though I've yet to come across any books on it :shifty:

I saw the main site, I love the style :lol:

I've heard of this game, though I've yet to come across any books on it :shifty:

this is the perfect solution for someone who wants to do miniatures gaming but doesn't want to spend over $100 on minis...the games generally complete in about an hour or two as well, which is a plus.

you will need to go to gaming/comic shop to find this...you will not find it at the mall or in a department store.

this is the perfect solution for someone who wants to do miniatures gaming but doesn't want to spend over $100 on minis...the games generally complete in about an hour or two as well, which is a plus.

you will need to go to gaming/comic shop to find this...you will not find it at the mall or in a department store.

I'll do some looking, if nothing else I'd love to collect some of the miniatures :)