next-gen console action RPG by Liquid Ent.

funcroc

I'm tired of the hack and slash games that are only called RPGs just because they utilize D&D rules.  I want an RPG with an intricate storyline, good character interaction, dialogue, and lots of customizability.

It should be noted that a game can be an action RPG and have an intricate storyline, good character interaction, dialogue, and lots of customizability. That's what I think Obsidian is trying to do with PNJ.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

They didn't necessarily sold well because they were "real" RPGs. There's several factors to account for their success, such as advertisement, production values, and associated brand names.

Of course not. But they proved that "real" RPGs could sell with the right combination of marketing, advertisement, production values, and brand names.

Trying to establish reasonable funding from titles which may be commercial success is better than trying to establish reasonable funding from titles which may be commercial failures.

The problem is that there is no guarantee that those mainstream titles will be a commercial success, either.

Bioware was on the right track with KotOR and even Jade Empire. I say, there is no reason to stop now.

I want console gamers to appreciate good occidental RPGs and the only way to do that is to give them good occidental RPGs. By giving them action RPGs first you are setting the tone for the market that, those are the type of games your company is known for. By sending them this message, by the time they get around to playing your first profound "IP" game (later down the road), you may end up confounding much of your established fan base expecting another hack and slash title.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

I'm tired of the hack and slash games that are only called RPGs just because they utilize D&D rules.  I want an RPG with an intricate storyline, good character interaction, dialogue, and lots of customizability.

It should be noted that a game can be an action RPG and have an intricate storyline, good character interaction, dialogue, and lots of customizability. That's what I think Obsidian is trying to do with PNJ.

A dungeon crawl with an intricate storyline, good character interaction, good dialogue, and lots of customizability?

image002.gifLancer

A dungeon crawl with an intricate storyline, good character interaction, good dialogue, and lots of customizability?

Why not? Although I'm thinking of something like a mixture of Mark of Kri with Torment.

Heja Sverige!!

Why not? Although I'm thinking of something like a mixture of Mark of Kri with Torment.

I don't know.. I don't know what I would make of something like that yet, if that is true. I would imagine it might be more palatable though the repetitive combat would probably get on my nerves after a while... we'll see.

image002.gifLancer

If the goal is to create profound RPGS that are less mainstream then why make more mainstream action RPGs to achieve this? It seems to be counterproductive to the intended motive.

Because creating unique intellectual properties and developing them requires time, resources and adequate financing. By producing commercially successful titles - regardless of them being action RPGs or not, but action RPGs was the provided example - they can generate enough revenue with which to finance risky endeavours such as going with an in house IP which is less mainstream. "More profound" RPGs aren't as commercially successful as more mainstream RPGs, and trying to develop them without any considerable monetary backup can be damning. Trying to establish reasonable funding from titles which may be commercial success is better than trying to establish reasonable funding from titles which may be commercial failures.

Indeedy. Just like the music industry is discovering: just because the media companies are multi-national, doesn't mean they can leverage their econmies of scale to market a particular band / genre / trend / whatever.

In fact the trend seems to be more smaller market niches. Which the music industry is financing with imbecilic teenagers' pre-occupation with being "different" exactly like the rest of their peers, buy buying the same type of rehashed pop covers that get released in a cycle a couple of years apart.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Real time = twitch.  Enough said.

Yes, but there's good twitch gameplay and bad twitch gameplay. Using your skill to kill your opponents as opposed to mashing the buttons as quickly as possible.

Heja Sverige!!

Real time does not equal twitch.

Real time involves twitch, but it also involves thought as well.

Mindless buttonmashing is for n00bs anyway.

Edit: Begone double negative!

Edited by Darque

Umm..., isn't that the point I just made in the previous post? ;)

Or perhaps you are not replying to my post.

Heja Sverige!!

If the interface is decent, then twitching is an okay form of input.

Or, as Tubs said to the hostage taker who threatened "All I have to do is twitch, and she's dead" in Miami Vice:

"Maybe, you won't even twitch," as he shot him right between the eyes from behind his vantage point.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Umm..., isn't that the point I just made in the previous post? ;)

Or perhaps you are not replying to my post.

I forgot to hit the "quote" button... it was to Hades.