Comics

Calax

So after an all night hangout fest at a friend's house I collapsed on their couch. I woke up a few hours later and everyone else was still sleeping, and there was a copy of Blame! volume 1 sitting on the coffee table next to me belonging to his wife. I read it, and now the seedy world of Manga has it's hooks in me. I'm gonna have to buy the other four that're out since she doesn't have them yet.

Weep not for me internets for I am already lost.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

A couple of weeks late in reply but its not really important.

RE: Bad scans.

Kaftan your "corrected" version doesnt look better, its still a bad but in a different way. Howver I will put it down down to you hastily PSing a scan in order to illustrate a point.

In any case CDisplay has colour/saturation controls so one can compensate for any percieved flaws.

To really show how most scans looks in comparison to what its supposed to look like, heres a scan versus the same page from Darkhorse.com preview section

comparison.jpg

It appears the DCP people are using automated brightness/contrast/hue settings that calculates adjustments based on black being RGB: 0,0,0 (true black) instead of actually comparing the scan to the paper. If you make a black square in PS, print it and then scan it back in, it wont be RGB 000 anymore and youll screw up the contrast.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I've been reading Stormwatch: Team Achilles lately. Its pretty cool. I like how they have a guy with a seemingly useless superpower, that turns out to actually be useful at some point. Feeling the pain of anyone in a 4 mile radius is a pretty ****ty power for a soldier. I am kinda didsappointed the only characters that get any development are Santini and Tefibi though. I mean one of the team died but they didn't show it, the pain feeling guy just felt it and told everyone that he died, and I was like "What? Which guy is that?" If you haven't developed your characters to the point where you can remember their names by the 10th issue, you're not doing a very good job.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I've been reading Stormwatch: Team Achilles lately. Its pretty cool. I like how they have a guy with a seemingly useless superpower, that turns out to actually be useful at some point. Feeling the pain of anyone in a 4 mile radius is a pretty ****ty power for a soldier. I am kinda didsappointed the only characters that get any development are Santini and Tefibi though. I mean one of the team died but they didn't show it, the pain feeling guy just felt it and told everyone that he died, and I was like "What? Which guy is that?" If you haven't developed your characters to the point where you can remember their names by the 10th issue, you're not doing a very good job.

try the GLA... or Great Lakes Avengers... one of em has the FANTASTIC power that he's incapable of dying (he found out when he tried to suicide.)

Oer... you know any mail order comic places?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

try the GLA... or Great Lakes Avengers... one of em has the FANTASTIC power that he's incapable of dying (he found out when he tried to suicide.)

Oer... you know any mail order comic places?

try www.milehighcomics.com

Devastatorsig.jpg

My family forgot about my birthday and threw together some things at the last minute. This means the present they got me really sucks. Maybe if I was totally old and boring I would've liked it. So's I drove down to the Galleria and went dumpster diving at EB Games and bought some books at the Borders there. Got Squee's Big Giant Book of Wonderful Unspeakable Horrors and the first three Escapist anthologies. Good stuff. Also Calax, you might be interested in driving out to the Borders over there, they're having a promotion right now where you buy three graphic novels or manga books and you get the fourth one free. The cheapest one was supposed to be free, but the girl who rung me up wasn't very big on rules so the most expensive one was. I like.

Also EB Games has now lost a lot of my business since they decided to stop carrying Used PC Games (corporate level). Half the reason I made the drive down there was to pick through all the used games, they used to have an absolutely massive PC section used and new and now they've whittled it down to pretty much only new releases and what doesn't sell of the initial order and they don't do the used ones at all. Lame.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

My family forgot about my birthday and threw together some things at the last minute.  This means the present they got me really sucks.  Maybe if I was totally old and boring I would've liked it.  So's I drove down to the Galleria and went dumpster diving at EB Games and bought some books at the Borders there.  Got Squee's Big Giant Book of Wonderful Unspeakable Horrors and the first three Escapist anthologies.  Good stuff.  Also Calax, you might be interested in driving out to the Borders over there, they're having a promotion right now where you buy three graphic novels or manga books and you get the fourth one free.  The cheapest one was supposed to be free, but the girl who rung me up wasn't very big on rules so the most expensive one was.  I like. 

Also EB Games has now lost a lot of my business since they decided to stop carrying Used PC Games (corporate level).  Half the reason I made the drive down there was to pick through all the used games, they used to have an absolutely massive PC section used and new and now they've whittled it down to pretty much only new releases and what doesn't sell of the initial order and they don't do the used ones at all.  Lame.

I did the borders thing yesterday and they didn't do squat...

EB isn't carrying used games becasue they got bought by Gamestop.

ok... I admit... I just tossed 119 out the window and bought 5 series for a year online...

Supergirl

Legion

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps

Teen Titans...

now I wait six to 8 for the first issue.

ok... I admit... I just tossed 119 out the window and bought 5 series for a year online...

Supergirl

Legion

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps

Teen Titans...

now I wait six to 8 for the first issue.

I need to see if theres a canadian mail order place so I can just subscribe to the titles I read instead of DCPing them every month. Canadian so I don't spend half the price of the comics on shipping.

I pretty much just read Ultimate Spider Man, Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Fantastic Four, The Ultimates, Squadron Supreme, and the IDW Beast Wars series, since they failed at making good TF comics with Infiltration.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I went direct to DC comics site and they had a linky for mail order... (you can also get wildstorm from them...) Marvel might have somthing the same.

Edit: Yup... subscriptions.marvel.com (I think the server is down right now.)

Edited by Calax

You have to ask about the promotion Calax, or at least I did. I got a trainee who wasn't quite up on everything yet.

Anyhow, I finished the first volume of the Escapist, beautiful artwork all over, good stories, basically just really awesome. I start on the second one and it goes from the beutiful watercolors and soft pencils and colors in the first one to four color art. :p Damned fifties and their low budget comics. It's all good though because the first story was f**king insane.

It starts off pretty droll, same old Nazis and Communists are going to kill the president and The Escapist has to stop them O NOES! But then Communists save The Escapist from Nazis in the middle of the Cold War. Then Hitler gets resurrected. Then resurrected Hitler gets killed by the statue of Abe at the Lincoln memorial. Then Dr. Megele gets killed by zombies using a dead regiment of SS soldies for string puppets!

F**k yeah!

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Well, I'm at a bit of an impasse. For the last 8 years, I've only been a sporadic comic book reader (not really by choice, but it's been a busy 8 years). My wife has convinced me to start collecting again, but I have to confess that I have no idea where to start.

Marvel: I like Ultimate X-Men and The Ultimates. I don't like any regular continuity stuff, and haven't since Onslaught. I also really hate how Marvel destroyed the Ultraverse, as that was a great superhero 'verse.

DC: Well, you can make a safe bet as to my favorite comic book character from my avatar. I used to get Bats, Supes, GL, JLA, Flash, Impulse, JSA, Sandman, Captain Marvel, Nightwing, Aztec, etc. However, what I've read about Infinite Crisis and the state of the DCU currently is disappointing to me. It looks as though the DCU has become significantly darker, and I don't want that. The late nineties were already dark (remember Montevideo?), and while dark stories are fine for Batman, the whole world doesn't need to be dark.

Independent: Well, I liked Thieves and Kings, Astro City, and Strangers in Paradise, as well as the Cross-Gen comics, but I really don't know if they're still being published, or if I can hop into them having missed 8 years of stories (SIP especially).

Anyway, anyone have any recommendations, or advice? My main fear is that DC, in its attempt to bring back the Silver Age, has irretrievably made the DCU darker than it needs to be, and has mangled the continuity beyond repair.

http://www.darkhorse.com/zones/wotw/wotw_popup.php?p=

This rendition of War of the Worlds(the original) was quite decent.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

well new avengers is good (if you like bindis' writing anyway) and for dc... I think Bat's is still good as is Lantern (with hal jordan btw) Kyle has his own comic in ion. Not sure what's up with the league because before crisis they kinda broke up. JSA is always wonderful and titans is MUCH darker... (what do you expect when one of em is dead because of infinite crisis...)

Marvel is going crossover crazy. First House of M, then Civil War, then I hear they have Onslaught Reborn coming up as well as a 4th one.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Marvel is going crossover crazy. First House of M, then Civil War, then I hear they have Onslaught Reborn coming up as well as a 4th one.

Onslaught reborn yes... fourth I ain't heard crap about...

of course it's easy to go crossover crazy when you have 2 writiers pretty much running the show (mark miller, and Bindis.)

I'm going to be reading the first two fable books here. I started reading the first one a while back, but didn't quite get into it. They're loaners from a friend, however, and I'm determined to have something to say about them. So, I'll read. Then I'll return here to share my glorious insight.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

In 2003, CrossGen found itself in a scandal over freelancer payments, exposing systemic financial problems. As this news reached notoriously fickle comics fans, sales were affected and creative staff began abandoning the company. The root cause for CrossGen's financial collapse has never been publicly disclosed, but some industry observers have noted its difficulties became apparent shortly after the Borders and Barnes & Noble bookstore chains discontinued stocking CrossGen's trade paperback collections and returned huge numbers of unsold books for credit/refund, more than wiping out the publisher's optimistically low reserves against returns.

CrossGen filed for bankruptcy in 2004 and ceased publishing, leaving such series as Sojourn, Negation War, and some others cancelled in mid-story.

In July 2004, Disney Publishing had been interested in licensing CrossGen content, but upon discovering the bankruptcy began seeking to acquire its assets instead. On November 15, 2004, Disney announced it had purchased CrossGen's assets for $1 million with plans to publish four prose hardcover novels based on writer J.M. DeMatteis and artist Mike Ploog's Abadazad.

Not a big loss IMO, their big features like Sojourn, Scion etc. were boring fantasy crap for 12yearolds.

This is one thing I cant stand with Marvel, I want to be able to buy one mag and still get whats going on. House of M was spread over 50 issues, its just a nightmare.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

not really kaft... the way they set up the crossovers is you've got the main series (the crossover House of M in this case) then all the other series start to tie in... but not in a way that really affects the plot that badly.

of course it's easy to go crossover crazy when you have 2 writiers pretty much running the show (mark miller, and Bindis.)

Miller is far superior to Bendis. I actually heard they were going to team up for something, which would be cool. Miller is awesome at storylines, while Bendis is awesome at dialogue. Combined they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Miller is far superior to Bendis. I actually heard they were going to team up for something, which would be cool. Miller is awesome at storylines, while Bendis is awesome at dialogue. Combined they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

But bindis is doing Avengers... AVENGERS DO NOT USE THAT MUCH DIALOGUE!

they are supposed to kick the crap out of sombody and go home... In one issue the major fighting was off panel and it was Ironman vs some ninjas.