Building a computer...

Arkan

So I finally received all the parts necessary to build my computere....but I've hit a snag. I've run out of IDE connections on the motherboard for my DVD/optical drives. The only IDE left open is labeled 'Floppy' for, I imagine, a floppy drive. Since I don't plan on installing a floppy drive, is it possible to install the DVD drives into that slot? Or is that strictly for the use of a Floppy drive.?

I've run into this problem because apparently the HD was not SATA :ermm:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Hmm....I may have figured it out....so many god damn cables!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Hmm....I may have figured it out....so many god damn cables!

You're telling me... it's a freaking nightmare. You would have thought they would come up with a better solution at least for routing power from the PSU to the devices... Hopefully, data cables will become less of an issue as more devices switch to SATA. A roomy case definitely helps. However, the most painful step in assembling a machine for me is making the case-to-motherboard connections: USB, Firewire, fans, sound, etc. Ugh.

Ok, I switched on the computer, and it comes on, but the monitor is getting no picture whatsoever, and the LED lights on the front of the case are not lighting up (don't really know if they should yet, or not)

I've got two video cards installed (SLI), so I'm not quite sure how to correctly hook such a thing up. I'm connecting the cards directly from the PSU (there are plenty of connectors). The documentation was less that stellar.

Another question:

When using the power cable that comes with the video card(s), it has a connection that splits into two seperate power connectors. Should I put a corresponding plug into each of these or just one? And should I do it for both video cards.

Well, shxt..... Everything seems to be connected to where it should be....but nothing is coming on the screen. no LED lights on the case (though there is a green light near the USB connector inside the case), nothing. The only thing that is happening is that the video cards are powering on, as well as the CPU (at least the fan). I'm not getting any beeps from the speaker and it's hooked up...

Maybe try removing one of the graphic cards and boot it up that way? Perhaps you need to install special drivers before attempting SLI?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well...I wonder if I just fxcked my whole machine. I pulled one of the cards out and this little white piece of plastic that looks like something that holds the card in place (it was attached to the PCIE slot) has broken off (a little to easily, I might add).

I guess I never should have fxcking tried to do this....

Edited by Arkan

And that IGN Guide? worthless when it came to installing components.

1. First, as mkreku suggested, try booting the machine in single-card mode. Your single card needs to be in the "primary" PCIe slot, so you might need to try both in case it's not obvious which one is the primary (it often isn't, and the manual isn't always correct).

2. As long as your card is seated firmly, that white piece of plastic shouldn't matter too much (I might be wrong about this though), my guess is it's job is only to hold the card in place.

3. For SLI to work, you need to connect the two cards using a bridge that should have been supplied with your motherboard. Did you connect the cards?

4. The best way to power the cards is without using any of those weird converter dongles, if your PSU has a male connector that can plug directly into your graphics card. If your PSU does not have that specialized connector, you will need to use the adapters you mentioned. I don't know why your adapter has 2 inputs :ermm: ... at any rate, don't supply power into both, one should be good enough.

5. The LED's are probably not working because the polarity might be reversed. Motherboard manufacturers often screw up the diagrams in the manuals.

Personally I never bother even hooking up the LED lights, what a waste of time. When I do, I do it once and if I did it wrong I never bother fixing them. The only thing thats important in that part is hooking up the front usb cables if your lazy like me and don't want to reach to the back everytime you plug a usb device in, that along with the power and restart buttons.

If nothing shows up disconnect everything except video card, memory and cpu from the motherboard and boot the computer up and see if you get a memory test.

If you broke up the back plastic of the PCI-E slot as long as the card stays in place you are okay. I dunno maybe it will affect warranties. As always when installing computer components always carefully consult your motherboard manual.

Edited by EUIX

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

#1 advice when experiencing odd problems. CHECK that all the cables are connected properly. Pull them out and connect them again to be sure. 99% of all mystery problems when assembling a computer is because of poorly conected cables.

Just how many hardrives and CD/DVD units do you have? If you try to run 5HDD's 2 burners and SLI Gf6800's then youll need a good PSU

And never mind that plastic clip, theyre too tight on the new motheboards and so they break or come off all the time. Mine plops loose every time I remove my GFX.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Which cards are you SLI'ing?

GeForce 6800 GS 256 MB (SLI ready)

If nothing shows up disconnect everything except video card, memory and cpu from the motherboard and boot the computer up and see if you get a memory test.

Ok, I've now done that, but still nothing shows up... The monitor doesn't even register that the computer is one or that it's hooked up to the computer...

The fact that you're not hearing any beeps seems to indicate that the machine power-up sequence is not completing successfully. I'm assuming you are using single-card mode. Have you tried each of your cards in each 16x slot (all 4 combinations)?

Edit: If that doesn't work, I'd suggest registering at the Nvnews forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin) and posting there, the guys there have a huge amount of experience with troubleshooting stuff and are usually very helpful.

Edited by angshuman

The fact that you're not hearing any beeps seems to indicate that the machine power-up sequence is not completing successfully. I'm assuming you are using single-card mode. Have you tried each of your cards in each 16x slot (all 4 combinations)?

Yes, I've tried everything I can think of :blink:.

Does your mobo have an on board gpu? try using that and seeing if the system starts up.

It doesn't that I know of.

This is yet another dumb thing but PCI-E slots are very, very tight fitting. I had a similar problem as you ith one computer and the problem was that the GFX (also a gf6800) wasnt all the way down in the slot.

Steps:

1. Take the whole thing apart. Everything.

2. Put in the motherboard.

3. Put in the just CPU, ram and wires to PC speaker(so youll hear whats wrong) and power.

4. Put in one of the GFX cards in the primary PCI-e slot. Make sure its down all the way, it requires more force than you think. Do not connect the external power to the GFX card

5. Start the computer and listen.

What happens? If it goes "Beepbeepbeepbeep!" that means something vital like the GFX isnt connected properly.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'd try that...but I'm not sure how to take out the CPU one I got it installed/locked in.

I'd try that...but I'm not sure how to take out the CPU one I got it installed/locked in.

That's a slightly tricky process. Before you attempt it, you should know that in order to re-install it, you'll need some thermal material remover, and some fresh thermal interface (such as Arctic Silver). In case you have this stuff, you'll first have to unlock the heatsink, then twist it clockwise and counterclockwise slightly until it disengages from the CPU, pull it up and out of the way, and finally unlock and remove the CPU.

SWEET JESUS PROGESS! I've got beeps!!

WTF? Now I can't even turn the thing on!

Well....I give up. I can't get thet damn thing to do anything now. The furthest I can get is switchin on the PSU and the Standby/On LED coming on. After that, nothing. I can't turn the machine on or anything.

I guess that was 1500 well spent.