why information is not released early in dev cycle

J.E. Sawyer

I'll admit I am secretly hoping that DNF comes out and completely blows us off our feet, with the most outstanding gameplay experience EVER seen, to which point it completely redefines how we look at computer gaming in general.

Another point that J. E. Sawyer could have listed is competetion. The more that is known early about a new title, the more competing development houses can adjust. Generally, titles have a short life before a new gee-whiz product hits the street.

If the competition knows too much too early, they can gee-whiz you right out of the market.

Generally, titles have a short life before a new gee-whiz product hits the street.

If the competition knows too much too early, they can gee-whiz you right out of the market.

that just sounds wrong man :wacko:

I like the lack of information released since it makes the game unspoiled when i play through it. having just snippets of info gets me excited, but the devs don't even need to say much to do that.

for example, take the NWN2 News website. i like looking at that just to see the interviews and that kind of thing where only a little is divulged, but it is still fun to hear about. like, hearing about the toolset and prestige classes :thumbsup:

Edited by Blank

I usually apply the movie industry to the marketing aspect of games.

Two movies as example: the new When a Stranger Calls and...

The original Matrix Trailer.

The Matrix is coming... THAT was it. Brillient!

When a Stranger Calls reveals the ENTIRE plot, and shows you the ENTIRE movie in a condenced format.

The latter example, imho, is the kind of thing that needs to be avoided. Let gamers be fickle, if you play your cards right and have a smart advertising team I think you can get away with it, without sacrificing the early development of the game. Then again I'm a newb, so who knows? :thumbsup:

Peace,

Joseph Peabody