Why Football is better than soccer

kumquatq3

Hey kumaq, or any other american football fan in the US, are you a supporter of your hometown football team - considering if you have one because not all cities or states have a representative in NFL (correct me if I'm wrong)....is there any pattern in the US who's supporting who or is it a totaly random thing, what's the deal?

Most people tend to go with their hometown team, if they have one - or if they had one. I'm a Seahawks and Chargers fan because I've lived in their home cities, but I don't like the Panthers and Redskins, even though they're geographically closest at the moment.

A few teams have a more widespread following, sort of like the Yankees or the Red Wings - I attribute it mostly to bandwaggoning. Everybody liked the 49ers when they were winning big, and the same goes for the Cowboys. The Patriots have been in vogue for the past couple of years, but I think support will drop off now that they're starting to suck.

Plenty of people - myself included - root for teams that have players they like. I want Denver to win because I'd like to see Jake Plummer finally get some recognition. I like Atlanta because of Vick and Dunn.

So I see....I'm a supporter of my hometown soccer team Hajduk Split, although I'm hardly in any 'soccer' mood as my team really sucked lately so I haven't been to any soccer match in the past six months or so.

Here on the mediterranean we're known to be very emotinal, but when it comes to soccer you can triple that.....you should of seen the sh*t that has been going on here in the past few years - the fans were so angry with the management of the club so there were couple of riots on and outside the stadium, clashes with police, I remember tearing, sneezing, coughing and even vomiting because of the tear gas all the time and getting all soaked by water cannons - those were the days ^_^ :p

And last year my team was doing pretty bad so couple of fans sneeked into the stadium in the middle of the night and dug up 11 graves around the centre as a warning...and I can tell you that they played much better after that :wub::lol::lol:

Edited by Hildegard

Simply put: 90% of the people follow their hometown tema first and foremost.

Those teams that are the NFL cousin of Manchester United obviously have more "away" fans.

1.why are teams refered to 'franchises'? pretty much says it all, doesn't it? money is everything...

2.why do teams move around? i've never understood why it so common for 'franchises' to move to another city whenever they want...

1.why are teams refered to 'franchises'? pretty much says it all, doesn't it? money is everything...

2.why do teams move around? i've never understood why it so common for 'franchises' to move to another city whenever they want...

1. I'll treat this seriously:

franchise

1 : freedom or immunity from some burden or restriction vested in a person or group

2 a : a special privilege granted to an individual or group; especially : the right to be and exercise the powers of a corporation b : a constitutional or statutory right or privilege; especially : the right to vote c (1) : the right or license granted to an individual or group to market a company's goods or services in a particular territory; also : a business granted such a right or license (2) : the territory involved in such a right

3 a : the right of membership in a professional sports league b : a team and its operating organization having such membership

I hope you can see how that means the same as the term I believe you Euros use, as in: The worlds most popular soccer "club", Manchester United, is owned by an American.

Much like "club" has more than one usage, including similar usages, so does franchise.

Now you can comment out of knowledge, instead of ignorance! Yea! :thumbsup:

2. Generally teams don't move around.

There are 5, iirc, teams out of 32 (I think, I forget) that have moved, 2 of which took the name of the team with them, and one (The Cardnials) have moved twice. As a rule of thumb, a team moves about once every 15 years.

But for example, the oldest teams in the NFL (Bears, go bears, and the Packers, circa 1919) have never moved.

Why they move? Lots of reason. Generally due to wanting a new stadium or lack of support in thier home town.

Mainly tho, they keep trying to put a team in LA (huge market), but they don't care, so they move the team to a city that likes football.

Edited by kumquatq3

1. I'll treat this seriously:

franchise

1 : freedom or immunity from some burden or restriction vested in a person or group

2 a : a special privilege granted to an individual or group; especially : the right to be and exercise the powers of a corporation b : a constitutional or statutory right or privilege; especially : the right to vote c (1) : the right or license granted to an individual or group to market a company's goods or services in a particular territory; also : a business granted such a right or license (2) : the territory involved in such a right

3 a : the right of membership in a professional sports league b : a team and its operating organization having such membership

I hope you can see how that means the same as the term I believe you Euros use, as in: The worlds most popular soccer "club", Manchester United, is owned by an American.

Much like "club" has more than one usage, including similar usages, so does franchise.

Now you can comment out of knowledge, instead of ignorance! Yea! :thumbsup:

2. Generally teams don't move around.

There are 5, iirc, teams out of 32 (I think, I forget) that have moved, 2 of which took the name of the team with them, and one (The Cardnials) have moved twice. As a rule of thumb, a team moves about once every 15 years.

But for example, the oldest teams in the NFL (Bears, go bears, and the Packers, circa 1919) have never moved.

Why they move? Lots of reason. Generally due to wanting a new stadium or lack of support in thier home town.

Mainly tho, they keep trying to put a team in LA (huge market), but they don't care, so they move the team to a city that likes football.

still, didn't answer my questions. why are they called franchises and not clubs, organizations etc. i'm no expert of the english language, but i suspect the term franchise was adopted by teams and then entered into the dictionary. so to speak...

still, didn't answer my questions. why are they called franchises and not clubs, organizations etc. i'm no expert of the english language, but i suspect the term franchise was adopted by teams and then entered into the dictionary. so to speak...

Actually, the word "organization" is more frequently used than "franchise". I guess "club" isn't used because, um, I don't know why. You hear baseball teams being called clubs, but not any other American sport I can think of.

You generally break out the word "franchises" when talking about making a new team or what not. "Franchise" is generally more geared to "everything" about the team, while "organization" is generally used to talk about the owners and managers.

But it's a VERY fine line, if it even exists. They overlap quite a bit in terms of actaul usage.

What I'm trying to say is, your question makes an incorrect assumption, but I was still trying to show why/how the word is used when it is used.

off to poker night

If you want a really interesting game .. watch Curling! now that's exciting!!

.. by the way Lucius there's a "spelling" error in your sig ..

"do it and I'll spank you" I think you mean "Do it or I'll spank you" ?  >_<

****, fixed. :oo:)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.