NHL is back

Fionavar

Well forget that ****, because TSN just reported that Joe Thornton was just traded to the Sharks for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and somebody else!!!

And after waiting two full minutes for the page to load ( it was just linked to NHL.com ffinally), here is the story on the trade.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Wow that is one crazy trade oh the other player going to Boston is Wayne Primeau

Hurlshot your Sharks got a player

What is Boston thinking!! I suppose it has to do with money but he was/ is your franchise player who is going replace him - I think Boston really took a step back but time will tell I guess

I wonder which player is going to slip to the wing. I might as well forget about getting the maximum mileage out of the Glen Murray/Thornton picks in my pool.

San Jose gave up a fair bit, but hell, its Joe Thornton. Maybe Marleau will finally break the 57 point barrier now.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Thats a great question Alanschu. Lowe could have traded Peca straight across with maybe one of the rookie d-men and only came out about a million more against the cap.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Oh my god!!!

I'm shocked. I did not see this coming. I'm very glad they dished off Stuart, as he never seemed to hit his potential. Sturm is a tough loss, and Primeau is gritty, but it's frickin' Joe Thornton!

I hope he's happy with the trade. His cousin, Scott Thornton, is in San Jose, so hopefully it won't take him long to get comfortable. This is the biggest aquisition the Sharks have had. Both Thornton and Marleau are centers, so I don't think they'll play with each other much, but who knows.

I think Boston must need to salary cap room, because it seems like a tough call to trade their franchise guy. Still, they aren't doing well either, so I guess they decided to mix it up.

Man, I'm so shocked...I'm not even upset that the Stars are killing them now.

*edit* top wingers are McCauly and Cheechoo, although McCauly is underperforming. They've got Goc playing wing too, he's a strong rookie. Scott Thornton might end up with Joe. They've got a bunch of new guys, hard to keep track.

Edited by Hurlshot

The Sharks were rolling a pretty solid 4 lines at the start of the season, with Marleau getting a bunch of different wingers. I think Marleau will get the second line with McCauly and a rookie (maybe Michalek) and Thornton will get Scott and Cheechoo.

I think that the Thorton trade is sort of going to become the norm in hockeywith the salary cap. Alot of GMs are going decided its better to spend a little money everywhere then locking it up in a couple of positions. The strength for the Ducks is that the contract is only 3yrs. more after this, meaning they can either try and work out a longer deal if things work out well, or trade him in the last year to a team looking to dump salary.

Boston needs alot of players to help themselves out, so this trade works for them as well.

As for the Blackhawks looks like they're going to win tonight. Bell has played pretty well thus far, but I still think he really needs to get stronger.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Wow! That's a gigantic trade, and so unexpected! Sturm has never really been as good as people say, I've always felt some of his popularity comes from his name.. Primeau was a great player in the old NHL. I don't know how good he is in the new, ballerina NHL. Brad Stuart I know nothing about.

Still.. I know the Bruins are off to a rather weak start, but trading their biggest franchise player and captain to boot?! Wow.. Just wow. I hope Toronto don't make a habit of losing too much (lost against Tampa tonight). I'd hate to see Sundin end up in.. Florida or something :lol:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Uhm.. I was checking the stats in the Flyers-Devils game..

Samuelsson.jpg

Check out who assisted on Patrick Sharp's goal :lol:

Not bad getting an assist.. A few years after you retire!

Thats a great question Alanschu.  Lowe could have traded Peca straight across with maybe one of the rookie d-men and only came out about a million more against the cap.

I don't think so. I think the big thing person San Jose had to offer was Brad Stuart.

By the numbers you are correct, but I doubt Boston would have taken that deal.

I think the big  person San Jose had to offer was Brad Stuart.

I'd say that Marco Sturm is more of a catch than Stuart. He's potted seventy goals ( 21,28,21) in the last three seasons. The knock on him is that he's not too physical and he still hasn't potted 50 points in a season yet.

Stuart spent a few games watching from the press box last season, and likes to pull an U.U.P. (thats Ulanov Under Pressure) when things are tough.

But then judging by this it looks like the two of them are off to a great start in their new town so far.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I agree that Sturm is the real catch for Boston. He can play both ends of the ice very well, and I think he'll continue to net 20-30 goals for many years to come. In my eyes, the trade was really about choosing Thornton over Sturm for the Sharks. Sturm also has a ton of heart, which will also hurt the Sharks morale.

Stuart has the potential to be a great defenseman, and he's shown it in spurts, but he's not consistent yet. He makes some real bad passes and plays in his own zone. Getting into a new environment might be just what he needs, though.

The Sharks still need a new defenseman and Nabakov needs to wake up.

Boston really did benefit from this trade, although lots of people are screaming foul.

Leafs win again! Tellquist got a shut-out and rookie Steen added a goal to his collection. Apparently the referees were quite uneven again, but the NHL have been sending out signals that they are planning on buying the best referees from the international leagues in the coming years. I'd love that to happen!

Bruins beat Ottawa. Not only that, Ottawa didn't even score a goal.. Wow.. When was the last time that happened? Too bad Heatley's impressive points streak had to end. Sturm seems to be a good fit in Boston already.

I can't beleive that the Bruins shut out the Senators.

The thing about the trade, it would have never gone down if Thorton hadn't cronically underachieved

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I saw the highlights of the Leafs game, Tellquist looked mighty sharp. But what suprises me the most is that Buffalo is 8-1-1 in their last ten games. They absolutely gritted a victory out of Montreal tonight.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the Oilers won tonight. I won't boldface it because unfortunately the Flames did as well. So Calgary is one point behind Vancouver and The Oil are two points away from the Flames. Northwest division for teh win!!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif