checksum problem...any help appreciated

I know this is an old problem, but I have thoroughly read each thread concerning this checksum problem. I just recently bought the game and have tried to update using the 1.0b update. I have disabled antivirus and the whole nine yards, I've tried the autoupdate and the manual, and it gives me a checksum error at 95% saying that swkotor2.exe is not the right version, then it exits the update program without updating the file. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times repeating everystep that I can think of, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a pentium M, 1.7GHz, gig of ram, 32 MB video card.

Edited by sweneric

I know this is an old problem, but I have thoroughly read each thread concerning this checksum problem.  I just recently bought the game and have tried to update using the 1.0b update.  I have disabled antivirus and the whole nine yards, I've tried the autoupdate and the manual, and it gives me a checksum error at 95% saying that swkotor2.exe is not the right version, then it exits the update program without updating the file.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times repeating everystep that I can think of, but to no avail.  Any help would be appreciated.

I have a pentium M, 1.7GHz, gig of ram, 32 MB video card.

I take it then none of the other threads managed to fix their problems (besides those who got it to work without antivirus).

Well the only suggestion I have is that you disable and unload the antivirus - like ending the actual exe process(es) in task manager but this does depends on what antivirus program you use - still, most of them I know will keep it running, just disabled.

Don't be too disappointed that you can't patch...

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

I would have said uninstall and resinstall would be the fix, but you've done that so i'm a bit baffled. The only reason the .exe file would not match the checksum, would be if it were changed for some reason... i cant really think of a delicate way of saying it, but if for any reason you switched the .exe file for another .exe file, that would cause it.

Reminds me of the problem i had with Street Legal Redline 2, the only way to make it work was to get differant files from different patches, which meant when you wanted to install a new patch none of the files matched and it aborted. Damn thing.

Just to recap, I've tried the update program, then I uninstalled, removed all of the registry items that I could find, reinstalled, then tried the manual file, both stop at the same 95% on swkotor2.exe with a bad checksum. I redid both of those steps while only disabling my antivirus, but that didn't work either. I will try to entirely shutdown the .exe for my antivirus programs and see if that helps. I appreciate the help. Like I said, I know that that this is an old problem because the the other strings are all from quite awhile ago.

I'll reread through the other strings to see if I missed anything. If not, maybe I need to buy it again, who knows.

I think I've figured it out. I had went cheap and bought an international version, I knew that when I bought it. Also, and besides the point, the wierd thing is, is that the movies were missing for some reason. So I contacted the seller on ebay and they said I could return it. I am going to buy a U.S. version and that should solve my problems.

I had tried every domestic and international version of the patch, but with no luck. Thanks for the pointers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...