Soccer

Delta Truth

Well I thought after lurking on the boards for a bit I would join this friendly community :thumbsup: . Since I haven't seen a thread on soccer or football as the rest of the world calls it (outside North America) I wanted to see if we have any fans on the boards watching any of the leagues.

For myself personally since the tv channel seem to play the English Premiership mostly (in Canada) I have become a fan however with Chelsea buying their titles lately its more interesting who with finish 2-3-4 for the championship league games... Arsenal was a favorite of mine but losing key players might cost them second. Manchester City and Charlton seemed to have improved and will hopefully make it interesting!!

For the world cup it should be exciting to see who gets in with France in trouble for qualifying!! For me I cheer for Germany , although they will have it tough to make it too the finals again this time!!

Anyone feel free to add comments

Nope Americans are too busy beating themselves sensless in Football(american) to care about soccer. But it's really quite funny that americans are that good at soccer when they really don't care... Must be the Youth programs that people have.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Servant of Eru - Good for you then!

So if the US national team actually wins the whole thing (which is I think is quite possible), will there even be a parade?

Other countries would have made it a national holiday or stopped their civil war just for that.

Quite ironic.

So if the US national team actually wins the whole thing (which is I think is quite possible), will there even be a parade?

Other countries would have made it a national holiday or stopped their civil war just for that.

Quite ironic.

Nah, probably just a small 5 minute "tribute" to the team... on a public access station

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Quite ironic.

Nah, probably just a small 5 minute "tribute" to the team... on a public access station

And 12 people (including Servant of Eru) shows up. How sad. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Obsidian!

As for football, US has just qualified for the World Cup yet again, but I doubt any American sports fans even cared at all.

I care

we beat are rivals at that

but don't make it sound like we automatically should or are "bad" people for not caring as much as you think we should.

I care

Good for you as well then.

Also don't read too much into my posts. What do I care? I just felt sorry for the US football(soccer) players. They rank number six in the world and get more recognition for their accomplishments internationally than at home.

I care

Good for you as well then.

Also don't read too much into my posts. What do I care? I just felt sorry for the US football(soccer) players. They rank number six in the world and get more recognition for their accomplishments internationally than at home.

Fair enough.

but even on that front, soccer/football is growing in popularity in the US at a pretty decent clip. Especially among kids.

While I don't think the US stand a chance against teams such as the Czech, Argentinians, Dutch etc. I think it's nice that they're doing better. (my own national team still has a long way to go, mind you)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Guest Fishboot

In a couple of generations the US will consider soccer a second or third national sport. All the kids these days play it; schools love to field soccer teams since the equipment is so inexpensive, and when those kids grow up they'll watch it on television and go to the games. When I was young every male child played baseball and basketball and every sports-inclined female child played softball and basketball, and when we became teenagers we started playing American football (the boys, anyway) and tennis, too - and that's what we all watch now.

Well the U.S. is at least on the right track they are developing their own players in the MSL (I believe twelve teams) and as a rule a their association is pushing for soccer only stadium facilities..

Unlike the U.S , in Canada we don't have any true soccer stadium's and only a semi -professional league. Which is why Canada wants to get Toronto to join the MSL league but they need a stadium to do that!! So by the time that happens Canada will fall further down the world rankings oh my :rolleyes:

Although at an amateur level Canada does seem to have lots of kids playing soccer

I used to play football, but have since retired my football boots and stuck to spectating ;) I'm a Manchester United fan and have shared a season ticket with my brother for as long as I can remember... :p"

In fact it's my brother's turn to go to the City match this weekend... <_<

DL

P.S. It's spelt F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L, not S-O-C-C-E-R :thumbsup:

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

I used to play football, but have since retired my football boots and stuck to spectating  ;)  I'm a Manchester United fan and have shared a season ticket with my brother for as long as I can remember... ;)"

In fact it's my brother's turn to go to the City match this weekend... <_<

DL

P.S. It's spelt F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L, not S-O-C-C-E-R  :thumbsup:

Newcastle all the way baby.......Owen to our new signing! I mean owing :p:p

Newcastle all the way baby.......Owen to our new signing! I mean owing :thumbsup:  :p

Oh please... :rolleyes:

How much brown-nosing did they have to do to get him to join? :lol:

Newcastle made a fool of themselves even if they did end up getting a burnt out former child prodigy as they wanted ;)

DL

I agree....for now.

But when we start dominating "football" too, we get to change the name to soccer :rolleyes:

Well, since you're speaking our language I think it's only proper that you spell it the right way... we've let center and other such horrible spelling mistakes slide but you can't continue to get away with all your mistakes :thumbsup:

DL

P.S. I love you Americans really, you're like our bastard children who never write home unless you want something

:lol:

P.S. It's spelt F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L, not S-O-C-C-E-R  :rolleyes:

I agree....for now.

But when we start dominating "football" too, we get to change the name to soccer :thumbsup:

If the US "soccer" team had been in a qualification group with European nations it would've probably been the equivilant of a Euro American Football team coming over to the US to participate in the NFL. :lol:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.