KOTOR 1&2 best characters

For some reason, there are characters that are more memorable than others. Not just in KOTOR of course but in other games too.

Most people would agree that HK-47 and Jolee Bindo are exceptional in KOTOR1. I'm not entirely convinced that the KOTOR2 cast manages to reach that level, though that's hardly saying that they're lousy. Quite the opposite - it's quite an achievement bringing T3-M4 up to the level that I like it now :">

Why's that? Of course devs will always try for the best (dev input welcome!).

One of the reasons I can think of is that the more time you spend with them (playing through in party, not just chatting), the more chance they have to give in-game responses etc that flesh them out. Character combo-banter responding to situations also is a big plus which might be the saving grace of Ordo-Carth. There didn't seem to be as much in KOTOR2 in that respect.

That brings me to wonder if fewer characters with deeper development are better than many with less spread out. For example I think nobody bothered including T3-M4 in KOTOR1 or much with GOTO, maybe Hanharr in their adventuring party. Could/should they have been cut? Or maybe devs should decide who players are most likely to pick and concentrate on them which would include other chars for story purposes (detached group missions might bring the best out of them).

Thoughts?

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I'd definately agree that some characters are more memorable than others for sure.

Jolee/HK-47/Bastila/Carth/Mandalore-Canderous/Kreia-Darth Traya/Atton/Bao-Dur/Visas being my most memborable.

For example I think nobody bothered including T3-M4 in KOTOR1 or much with GOTO, maybe Hanharr in their adventuring party. Could/should they have been cut?

I don't think T3 should be cut. I used him a fair bit. Not completely, but more than some might. Goto, I couldn't really care less about. Hanharr would problably go anyway, whether there will be a KOTOR3 or not; but that's just my opinion.

That brings me to wonder if fewer characters with deeper development are better than many with less spread out

This I agree with. It makes the game a much better experience, and the characters more memorable, if the characters are deep. It makes them seem more human; (or whatever race they are).

In KOTOR3 (should it ever come (please God; a.k.a George Lucas in this case), perhaps we should have fewer characters, but they should have much more developed stories, equalling, or exceeding the deep stories of KOTOR's characters.

In KOTOR2, I only found the stories of Kreia/Visas/Handmaiden/Mira (all the women of the party if you notice) to be deep. Admittedly, not as deep as KOTOR, but still fairly deep.

So Obsisdian; (or whoever makes KOTOR3(please God) in KOTOR3, make the characters deep, even if it means less characters.

I'd be happy to have a few less characters and more devlopment on the ones that are included. I never used or even talked to GOTO and I never used T3.

Bastila, Carth and Mission were good in KOTOR1. Visas, Mira, Handmaiden and Kreai were good in KOTOR2. HK47 was brilliant in both games. THen there were just some "other" characters that I basically relegated to the Ebon Hawk for most of the journey.

i've had that thought about there's too many characters in your party. maybe there should be a core of 3-5 people and 5 more or less temporary. i also like the parts where you can't switch characters in your party (like the refugee-quarter on nar-shadaa), and the mini-quests like mira's and t3's.it's during those small quests you get to know your other characters better. or being forced to, maybe.

kotor1 also had more time to develop it's characters. and there are, i think, more places where the characters react on things that happen. they often start speaking to you without being adressed to. there are markers at some places which triggers them. like when you run around on taris with bastila and mission (or tatooine) and they start speaking to eachother. small things make great impression. it seems.