Something that came up over dinner.

While we were eating there was a Star Wars behind the scenes on. My wife never caught the SW bug being as she grew up in Japan and they have so much merchandising there already :thumbsup: . But she has seen the films and technically has a half share in the entire run of original miniatures, including Han Solo before the overside head :p

The discussion came up about the continuity between the OT and NT (original and new trilogy) and how changes had been made to the OT to legitimise the NT.

Now personally I would much rather that he remade EPIV to VI as part of the new SW rather than keep fooling around with adding digital effects to the old one. Seeing Hayden in EPVI I had to do a double take. Presumably this will then be as he always wanted it to be...

So what do you think ? Let George muck about with a new old triliogy ? Or accept that he's going to keep altering the originals every couple of years ?

Since for me SW will always be EP IV-VI (although I saw 5 first cause I'm not that old). The idea of a new EP IV-VI bothers me much less.

I do wish they would release the OT unaltered on DvD because video isnt as stable but I can get that done if I really wanted to I guess.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'd like the unaltered originals on DVD as well.

I've got them on VHS, but they're not widescreen, unfortunately. I have a DVD burner, but not a TV capture card. Anyone know how well a VHS tape would transfer to a home-made DVD with a capture card?

Well, you're going to know that they came from VHS... I, too, have a VHS version of the original, but it's not widescreen (cursing the day I chose Full Screen over Wide Screen back then).

I'm trying to butter up one of my co-workers who has a LaserDisc Widescreen original trilogy. I saw a Chinese remake from LaserDisc to DVD and the transfer was excellent. Unfortunately, they foo-barred the menus (considering that the LaserDisc didn't have menus) and the closed captioning was entertaining to read. :) I have a new dual-layer DVD burner to play with and would be really curious to see how a "homegrown" solution would look. Specification-wise, LaserDisc and DVD aren't very far off.

I have the old set on VHS but watched the fixed up versions on TV other day and gotto admit I like the fixed up versions more.

I dont think Lucas can actually remake episodes 4-6 because people picture Luke being played by whats his name, Leia by Carrie Fisher, and Hans by Harrison Ford. Those characters are basically royalty in Star Wars and people just wouldnt accept others in those roles.

But that still leaves the problem that when Star Wars originally released, technology just wasnt really up to the task at hand.

Honestly, I kinda hope Lucas takes the old films, dubs out the aliens (mostly, some ok) and remakes the original 3 movies with the proper technology ability.

I wont lie, I absolutely HATED Elephant man in part 6 and the stupid guy in the rubber wolfman mask in episode 4. Plus I freaking hate ewoks as they are currently in episode 6.

There is alot Lucas can do to bring episodes 4-6 up to the standard of look that episodes 1-3 have (which were breath taking).

Course then you would get those who like seeing strings attatched to fighters complaining much like the black and white movie crowd do about color movies. Its a no win situation.

But anyways, I dont mind him fooling around with the old ones because they just look so dated compared to episodes 1-3.

I asked a friend the other day how he would show the Star Wars movies to his kids when they old enough. He at first replied in order of 1-6, but then took it back because after the graphics and special effects in 1-3, most new people would never sit through 4-6 because of how much less detailed they are. Said he would show it as 4-6 then 1-3 just because of the massive massive difference in looks.

I asked a friend the other day how he would show the Star Wars movies to his kids when they old enough. He at first replied in order of 1-6, but then took it back because after the graphics and special effects in 1-3, most new people would never sit through 4-6 because of how much less detailed they are. Said he would show it as 4-6 then 1-3 just because of the massive massive difference in looks.

You have to show them IV-VI first otherwise they dont have the same impact.

Luke I am your Father... Well tell us something we didnt know two movies ago why dont you Darth.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You have to show them IV-VI first otherwise they dont have the same impact.

Luke I am your Father... Well tell us something we didnt know two movies ago why dont you Darth.

Will it make a difference? Unless his kids are like five when he shows it to them, they'll already know. I know I knew Vader was Luke's father about five years before I actually saw ESB. Hell, I could pretty much recite the scene before I saw the film.

I mean, that scene and the line "I am your father" are probably the most famous and over-cliched pieces of Cinema in history, so I think the chances of his kids being surprised are slim.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I mean, that scene and the line "I am your father" are probably the most famous and over-cliched pieces of Cinema in history, so I think the chances of his kids being surprised are slim.

http://entertainment.msn.co.uk/films/featu...irestrikesback/

478327[/snapback]