I guess bad endings are fashionable these days

I think that's clever, if only -- as I said earlier -- because the anticipation of a pleasure is a greater pleasure than the pleasure itself. :shifty:

Riiiight. Like foreplay without sex. :shifty:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Or finding the love of your life and realising she doesnt have a Vagina :shifty:"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Or finding the love of your life and realising she doesnt have a Vagina o:)"

That is a sexist remark -- what about hetrosexual women, they certainly don't want the love of their life to have a vagina. Anyway, many men(!?) are amongst those sufing the new sexual revolution: Thailand's largest export, ladyboys !

I think that's clever, if only -- as I said earlier -- because the anticipation of a pleasure is a greater pleasure than the pleasure itself. :shifty:

Riiiight. Like foreplay without sex. :shifty:

That implies that Valve will not deliver a plot in good time ... because the sex is necessary, but not the most important aspect of the sexual intercourse. Think instead that the foreplay lasts all night, and the copulation begins in the morning (assuming you don't have to disapear early in the morning, of course).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

First of all, there aren't supposed to be any cutscenes.  That removes you fromt the action and makes it more like a movie.  While this is great for most games, Valve is trying to achieve the effect of immersing you in the action and making you feel like you are Gordon.

Second of all, the ambiguous plot is perfect for the point of the game.  Gordon isn't on a mission, he isn't on some mystic quest, and he isn't some sort of super hero.  He is simply the right man in the wrong place, and this the point Valve is trying to make.  The game takes you through these seemingly unconnected events that ultimately leads you to where you need to be at the right second to change an entire world.  With this said, I'm sure as the series develops, tiny tidbits spread throughout the games will collect and fall into place, leading into the complex plot with the epic final battle and amazing ending we're all expecting.  Valve isn't going to just throw in some cliche plot for every game and tie them together with some sub-standard theme, they're taking their time to develop something truly amazing and immersive.  Give them time, making a great game is an art.

I just read your sig and recalled that was the last thing that the G-man says in the first conversation of the game; your explanation is spot on and I whole-heartedly agree with the λ

sig2.gif

Well, if we remove all the holy war flame fests and all the mutual ego-stroking from all the fora of the internet there would be a deafening silence ... :p

Seriously, though, I do think the plot is set up well for the next installments.

After all, this is exactly what Dickens did to make ends meet; the Pickwick Papers was a serial that went for months in the newspaper. If this allows Valve to deliver quality, then I'm all for it.

(Certainly EA's modus operandi doesn't seem to be very successful for anything except making their shareholders happy, certainly not producing flawless games.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If only others were as patient...

No, I'm not patient. I'm not because the game should have had the plot integrated in it at V1.0. In fact, it should have been the drive of the game. Instead, we have a "ghost". You admit it yourself by claiming that "it will be completed in the expansions".

It's the theme of the game and will hopefully help you understand why the plot is the way it is.

No, it's not. The theme of the game is the G-man dropping you in the middle of nowhere and expecting you'll pull off the same stunt you performed with poor Gonarch and his buddy Nihilanth in HL, for absolutely no reason other than it being a FPS. His lines at the beginning of the game are inconsequential. He could claim to be the Spirit of Christmas Past and it wouldn't be any more relevant or strengthen the "plot" in any way.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Etymology of Gonarch - gonads + arch (as in greatest or best)

Yeah, they certainly telegraphed it.

I found interesting that there was not more of an uproar about it. I guess no-one who played the game thought it was anything other than the joke it obviously was, and saw no need to make anything of it.

I must admit I laughed when I saw it -- not sure when I first heard its (rather obvious, as you've pointed out) name: is it in the save game title?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT