Star Wars meets NWN2 engine/toolset/DM client

If Obsidian/Lucas Arts created a Star Wars game utilizing the NWN2 engine, toolset, and DM client. Would you buy it?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. If Obsidian/Lucas Arts created a Star Wars game utilizing the NWN2 engine, toolset, and DM client. Would you buy it?

• Yes
    • No

Why would the engine on which the gme is built stop fans buying???

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

Why would the engine on which the gme is built stop fans buying???

It shouldn't. I was actually thinking that it may even surpass the popularity of even the original NWN. I think at this day and age more people like Star Wars than Dungeons and Dragons. A game like this would draw Star Wars fans as well as hard core role players.

KOTOR is based off of a heavily modified Aurora engine...

I think it's kind of a dumbed down version (my opinion). It seems like this is the case because it's lacking so much that was available in Neverwinter Nights. I'm sure they had to do this in order to put it on the Xbox. I wonder if the Xbox 360 could run a game like NWN2? It would be great to have a multi-player game that could run on both the PC and consoles. Especially if they could join the same servers. After all, wouldn't they all use the same internet protocols?

The reason why the game can't be modified as well or as easily as the NWN game is because Lucasarts doesn't want it to be. I'm sure if Lucasarts wanted the game to be heavily modded such as NWN, all they'd have to do is get the developers to release the actual toolset or whatever.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The reason why the game can't be modified as well or as easily as the NWN game is because Lucasarts doesn't want it to be.  I'm sure if Lucasarts wanted the game to be heavily modded such as NWN, all they'd have to do is get the developers to release the actual toolset or whatever.

Is that your opinion? Or did you see an actual statement by Lucas Arts on this? Wizards of the Coast is VERY protective over the Forgotten Realms, but they allowed NWN to be made. Besides, there is a difference between allowing Mods to be created and releasing a toolset and such. There is already a Star Wars d20 role playing game (basically like D&D in space). There really isn't any difference between a d20 role playing game and a computer game with a DM client and toolset. Both allow creation of your own adventures.

Is that your opinion?  Or did you see an actual statement by Lucas Arts on this?  Wizards of the Coast is VERY protective over the Forgotten Realms, but they allowed NWN to be made.  Besides, there is a difference between allowing Mods to be created and releasing a toolset and such.  There is already a Star Wars d20 role playing game (basically like D&D in space).  There really isn't any difference between a d20 role playing game and a computer game with a DM client and toolset.  Both allow creation of your own adventures.

That was the response by one of the DEVS, either of Obsidian or Bioware back when this forum had a "KOTOR II suggestion" board. Someone asked about modding and why it's so difficult, and the answer was something about because Lucasarts didn't want KOTOR to be modded. So although it CAN be modded slightly, Lucasarts hasn't been forthcoming with toolsets and such to allow further, and deeper, modding to take place.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Is that your opinion?  Or did you see an actual statement by Lucas Arts on this?  Wizards of the Coast is VERY protective over the Forgotten Realms, but they allowed NWN to be made.  Besides, there is a difference between allowing Mods to be created and releasing a toolset and such.  There is already a Star Wars d20 role playing game (basically like D&D in space).  There really isn't any difference between a d20 role playing game and a computer game with a DM client and toolset.  Both allow creation of your own adventures.

That was the response by one of the DEVS, either of Obsidian or Bioware back when this forum had a "KOTOR II suggestion" board. Someone asked about modding and why it's so difficult, and the answer was something about because Lucasarts didn't want KOTOR to be modded. So although it CAN be modded slightly, Lucasarts hasn't been forthcoming with toolsets and such to allow further, and deeper, modding to take place.

I think one thing to consider though is that KOTOR was never planned to be such a game. NWN was. My guess is that Obsidian would be willing to create a game like I've mentioned above if Lucas Arts wanted it created. The problem is convincing Lucas Arts to do it. I don't think that Lucas Arts is an easy company to convince.

Wizards of the Coast is all about creating RPG's that gamers like. I wonder if it would be possible for Wizards of the coast, since they have the rights to the d20 Star Wars game, to acquire permission to have Obsidian create it? LOL Wouldn't that be a licensing nightmare? I've heard rumors that both WotC and Lucas Arts are difficult to deal with.

I wonder how long it would take to convert NWN2 to a Star Wars game if Obsidian finished NWN2 and Lucas Arts gave them the go ahead to start the project? The engine, client, and scripting tools would be good to go for the most part. I really have to clue how long it would take to make all the models, textures, etc... Not to mention the official campaign. Is there a Developer who would be willing to take an unofficial "shot in the dark"? 2 years? Maybe 1 year?

I also wonder if Obsidian has considered other types of games based on the same engine/toolset combination like NWN2? In another thread someone mentioned a new Fallout game. It would be cool if they could design an generic engine/toolset software package that would allow for future expansions. Maybe we could buy expansion packs for different themes which would come with new tilesets, creature models, and everthing we would need to create a game in that specific theme. Such as Post Nuclear Holocost, Old West, Star Wars, etc...

I wonder how long it would take to convert NWN2 to a Star Wars game if Obsidian finished NWN2 and Lucas Arts gave them the go ahead to start the project?  The engine, client, and scripting tools would be good to go for the most part.  I really have to clue how long it would take to make all the models, textures, etc...  Not to mention the official campaign.  Is there a Developer who would be willing to take an unofficial "shot in the dark"?  2 years?  Maybe 1 year?

That depends on your definition of 'years'. :)"