Okay, so we got the patch... Is it just me,

Is KOTOR II just a BAD game?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Is KOTOR II just a BAD game?

• I love KOTOR II!
    • I think it's CRAPTASTIC!

Content wise, even with the missing endings, it is so much better than the first. This game is at least halfway fun to replay, the original has no replay value at all. The characters are better, the inventory is better, the sidequests are better, the upgrade system is much better, the voice acting is better, the quality of the composition of the music is better (not the compression), and the story until the last 2 hours of the game is better.

Edit: And for me, somehow, even with an ATI card, the framerate is better and crashes are fewer. And I blame any problems with framerate and crashes on Bioware's horrid engines. The Aurora (NWN) and the Odyssey (KOTOR) engines are pieces of crud stability wise.

Content wise, even with the missing endings, it is so much better than the first. This game is at least halfway fun to replay, the original has no replay value at all. The characters are better, the inventory is better, the sidequests are better, the upgrade system is much better, the voice acting is better, the quality of the composition of the music is better (not the compression), and the story until the last 2 hours of the game is better.

Edit: And for me, somehow, even with an ATI card, the framerate is better and crashes are fewer.

Well, I respect your opinion but I COMPLETELY disagree! Sure TSL added a few nice tweaks to the play system but that's about it...

I think KOTOR has MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more replay value than TSL! Let's consider the characters for a moment: Not as many in KOTOR, but they all had a purpose, they all had quests that fleshed them out, they were well acted, written and executed. In TSL the characters, for the most part, have NO quests to help develop them, their dialogue is circular and non-sensical and as far as I can see, most of them contribute NOTHING to the story in any way.

I really can't overstate how BAD the dialogue in this game is! It reminds me of poorly written and incompetently translated Anime! It just goes on and on and on.... most of the time contradicting itself and making no sense at all.

And as for side quests in TSL... Where are they? :blink: Really, if I missed them, please let me know!

The characters in the first KOTOR were not written or acted terribly well. None of them, with the exception of Jolee and HK, were interesting at all. The quests that some of the KOTOR characters had fleshed them out slightly, but not as well as the dialague did in KOTOR 2. THe only characters in the second I got bored of were Visas, who did not seem to have much worthwhile to say, and G0 T0.

With the exception of Bastila and Carth I can't find this "purpose" that you talk about for the being of the characters. Mission, Zaalbar, Jolee and Juhani all seemed to be there to be there. Granted, with the cut endings of KOTOR 2 the purpose of most characters in that game is not quite explained either.

By sidequests I meant quests not pertaining to the main plot.

And the dialogue in KOTOR II is so much better written than that in the first game. It is way more professional and novel like. A lot of it, while extensive, is more interesting than in the first game. I will admit though that when I played the game that Obsidian might have failed with the dialogue in the aspect that it would alienate the casual gamer that played the first. Some conversations were geared more toward the hardcore player than the first game was.

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, its late.