Was The USSR Communism?

WITHTEETH

They do have conflicts with every neighbouring state.

Not to mention the numerous inner problems, the problem with the Kurds is only the most obvious one.

They cultivate a strange form of Nationalism concerning the role of Turkey as the heir of the Ottoman Empire. Only for example, is there any rational reason why the Turkish officials euphemise the circumstances of the displacement of the Armenian population by the Ottoman Empire about 90(!) years ago?

And they are as much a part of Europe as Israel. Is Israel the next candidate for EU membership?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

However, as it is now, the red-green parties are shaping up very well for the elections. With our parliamentary system, an alliance of this nature will mean a social democratic overweight in parliament. This is a good thing! :geek:

We have a red-green government for some years now, they boastfully announced to be better than the others. And, in effect, they made it even much worse. They managed to establish a record of unemployment figures and deficit and they also participated in two "wars of aggression". So, I can only warn of this red-green combination. :wub:

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

And they are as much a part of Europe as Israel. Is Israel the next candidate for EU membership?

Well, technically not. Part of Turkey does lie in the geographical continent of Europe, but only a small part I agree. Israel on the other hand is a bit further away. Still, why not? Another country with quarrels with its neighbours, some unusual ideas of Nationalism and a dodgy human rights record just adds more flavour to the mix.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

They do have conflicts with every neighbouring state.

Not to mention the numerous inner problems, the problem with the Kurds is only the most obvious one.

They cultivate a strange form of Nationalism concerning the role of Turkey as the heir of the Ottoman Empire. Only for example, is there any rational reason why the Turkish officials euphemise the circumstances of the displacement of the Armenian population by the Ottoman Empire about 90(!) years ago?

I think Russia could be the next. :wub:

Well, technically not.  Part of Turkey does in the geographical continent of Europe, but only a small part I agree.  Israel on the other hand is a bit further away.  Still, why not?  Another country with quarrels with its neighbours, some unusual ideas of Nationalism and a dodgy human rights record just adds more flavour to the mix.

Yeah, sounds OK to me. We can offer membership to China, too. They might not be so close, but they sure are a juicy market.

Phear the power of the Afroeurasian Union!

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The difference between Isreal and Turkey as far as membership in the continent of Europe is that Turkey has for more than half a century has been dealing with European Nations as an Equal.

Its co-existed in the "arena" for so long its considered a European Nation, Couple that fact with the large ammount of Greeks in Anatolia (I don't know if this is still the case) and the that Turkey was a part of the Byzantine Empire. These combined makes Anatolia considered a part of Europe.

The difference between Isreal and Turkey as far as membership in the continent of Europe is that Turkey has for more than half a century has been dealing with European Nations as an Equal.

That's not saying anything. As an "equal"? Well, they get the same prices as everyone for trade, I guess. So do the US, Japan, Russia, etc. But none of those have a saying in european politics, including Turkey.

Its co-existed in the "arena" for so long its considered a European Nation, Couple that fact with the large ammount of Greeks in Anatolia (I don't know if this is still the case) and the that Turkey was a part of the Byzantine Empire. These combined makes Anatolia considered a part of Europe.

Yep. Only a bit earlier they had been part of the Persian empire and later in their history came the Ottoman empire. Both of them had as a goal to overrun Europe (the former the Helenic civilization and the latter Europe itself). Thankfully they both failed. Please note I'm not holding some kind of historical grudge here, it's just they are historically not a part of Europe, and they have a rather distinct culture. And as someone said before, we should fix the house first before inviting more guests in.

That's not saying anything. As an "equal"? Well, they get the same prices as everyone for trade, I guess. So do the US, Japan, Russia, etc. But none of those have a saying in european politics, including Turkey.

Yep. Only a bit earlier they had been part of the Persian empire and later in their history came the Ottoman empire. Both of them had as a goal to overrun Europe (the former the Helenic civilization and the latter Europe itself). Thankfully they both failed. Please note I'm not holding some kind of historical grudge here, it's just they are historically not a part of Europe, and they have a rather distinct culture. And as someone said before, we should fix the house first before inviting more guests in.

I'm not saying they're not historical enemies (or that your holding a grudge) but the Ottoman Turks (and by extension Turkey) have been considered to be a European Nation (Well, I assumed so In Europe, Most definatly in North America). I don't remember Europe giving the consideration to Persia, India or the Far East the same consideration they gave the Ottomans in the Crimean War. Not to mention how the Ottomans were one of the Triple Alliance members during the Great War. What other Non European nation has enjoyed the "priviledges" of being an Equal to the Great Empires of Europe (of Past Europe, I should say, Seeing as the French, British, German/Prussian, Russian, Austrian Empires no longer hold the power they once did).

Also, I'm not advocating any posisition, stance or descision taken by the EU, as I bear no claim to comment on its policies as a right by my History (My family came over in WWII).

I'm not saying they're not historical enemies (or that your holding a grudge) but the Ottoman Turks (and by extension Turkey) have been considered to be a European Nation (Well, I assumed so In Europe, Most definatly in North America). I don't remember Europe giving the consideration to Persia, India or the Far East the same consideration they gave the Ottomans in the Crimean War. Not to mention how the Ottomans were one of the Triple Alliance members during the Great War. What other Non European nation has enjoyed the "priviledges" of being an Equal to the Great Empires of Europe (of Past Europe, I should say, Seeing as the French, British, German/Prussian, Russian, Austrian Empires no longer hold the power they once did).

Also, I'm not advocating any posisition, stance or descision taken by the EU, as I bear no claim to comment on its policies as a right by my History (My family came over in WWII).

The "Ottoman Turks" can't be considered European from a historical standpoint.

If I remember correctly, their ancestors, the Huns, came from the region of today's Mongolia (or China?). They overran the region (Persia, Arabia, etc.) and absorbed the culture and religion of the Arabians, which both definitely weren't of European origin.

Some centuries later the so-called Ottoman Empire ranged from North Africa till Persia, Balkan and Greece.

Are they European simply because they had conquered some land on the European continent or because Attat