Graphic artifacts: Game or Hardware?

Guest Lakmoots

Guest Lakmoots

Heya! I am having some weird display issues, and I wanted to ask people their advice, seeing as I am not knowledgeable about such things.

I heard that "graphics artifacts" can be an overheating problem, so I wanted to check. I am having an issue that I have heard affects other users, and I wanted to check if it is a game issue.

I have, most times, a spike growing out of the exiles face. It is always there when in a two weapon flourish position, growin out the neck, and often in the cutscenes. It *NEVER* affects any other character model or other part of the game at all. It just happens to the main character (exile). If I reload, alot of the time it vanishes from the cutscenes, but remains in the weapon flourish mode.

I don't think this is hardware, because it does not affect anything else at any other time. The graphics card I am using is an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200. It has the latest drivers.

What are the chances of this being fixed in a patch??

Check if you have the same kinf of glitches in other games. If so, there must be a hardware or driver issue. On my previous computer, I had a lot of graphical glitches in 32 bits. I never found why until I open this computer a few weeks ago and noticed the fan of the GeForce 1 wasn't working at all because of the dust.

Guest Lakmoots

Thanks for the helpful replies, guys!

I am a hardware noob, so please bear with me...

I have an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200. I have installed the latest drivers, and do not know what Omega drivers are! (w00t)

No, this hasn't happened to me on any other game, even KotOR1.

OK - I'm not sure how you installed the drivers, but as you're a noob I'll walk you through it.

First off, download Driver Cleaner Pro and the latest drivers (there's been a recent update, 71.84 are the newest. I'm not sure if you have them or the last driver). Next, install Driver Cleaner Pro, but don't run the program.

Now:

1. Uninstall your current driver.

2. Reboot into safemode.

3. Press cancel if it asks if you want to connect to the net to download a driver

4. Run Driver Cleaner Pro

a. from the tools menu, select Cab Cleaner and then start.

b. when that's run, from the main screen select only Nvidia then press start.

c. when that's done reboot normally

5. Cancel when Windows prompts for a driver.

6. Install the driver you just downloaded.

Guest Lakmoots
OK - I'm not sure how you installed the drivers, but as you're a noob I'll walk you through it.

First off, download Driver Cleaner Pro and the latest drivers (there's been a recent update, 71.84 are the newest.  I'm not sure if you have them or the last driver).

Thats odd... when I go to the Nvidia page, the latest drivers appear to be 66.93, at least for my OS.

Guest Lakmoots
71.84 seems to be the only version for every OS.  What are you running?

Here's a link to the WIndows XP driver.

Woah... that is weird. I select "graphics driver - Geforce - Win xp/2000" and all I get is the 66.93 driver update! Where are you getting this driver from??

Keep in mind, I know very little... feel free to speak in an annoyed tone :shifty:"

Trust me, it's there.

Go to www.nvidia.com

Click on "Downoload Drivers".

Click "Graphics Driver".

Click "GeForce and TNT2".

Click "Windows XP/2000".

Click "go".

Click "primary download site".

Now follow my earlier instructions to get the new driver set up.

Guest Lakmoots
Trust me, it's there.

Go to www.nvidia.com

Click on "Downoload Drivers".

Click "Graphics Driver".

Click "GeForce and TNT2".

Click "Windows XP/2000".

Click "go".

Click "primary download site".

Now follow my earlier instructions to get the new driver set up.

um... um... um...

Maybe I have been dragged into an alternate universe somehow, but I did all that (it was what I did in the first place) and the graphics drive is *always* version 66.93...

This is odd... maybe it is a language translation issue?

Guest Lakmoots

I don't really see how this is a graphics driver issue anyway... KOTOR1 worked fine with the same hardware, I never had this problem. It only appears in KOTOR2 and only for the main character.

It seems like a programming issue, and I am hoping it will be fixed in the patch. I guess it is similar to some other display issues that have been encountered.

Try this link. The latest drivers were released on March 11th, so this is definately strange that they're not coming up for you.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.84.html

This is just my personal opinion but the FX5200 isn't all that great. Although it should be far better than what I'm running the game on (Geforce4 Go notebook chip). I've not experienced any artifacts and my chip is definately inferior.

Another idea: Who's the specific maker of your card? It's based on an Nvidia chip, but other people sell the cards to the end user, such as Asus, Apollo, Leadtek, PNY, etc, etc, etc, way too many to name. If you have any idea which manufacturer actually made the card, you could probably try downloading drivers from them. Most simply re-wrap Nvidia's drivers, but some make tweaks specific to their cards.

Guest Lakmoots

Thanks guys!!

I am abit curious, though... why should it be the drivers?? The card works perfectly for all other games, including KOTOR1... so wouldn't this be an issue with the *game* itself?? Especially seeing as it only happens to a specific character model, and nowhere else?? I am hoping for a patch fix, to tell the truth.

bump... got drivers, no luck.

Have you tried playing with the graphic options in the game?

I'd try reducing the graphic load one step at a time and see if there's any improvement. All these options are available in the game menus, should be relatively easy to find.

1. shadows off

2. grass off

3. texture (or detail) level -- three options avail, high, med, low. Bump it down one knotch at a time to check for improvement.

It's possible that the FX5200 (being a budget card) can't handle the full graphics load of the game, causing this weird aftereffect. By reducing the load on the graphics card, you should be able to figure out if it's a flaw in the game or not.

For the short and easy path, just reduce all graphic options (including screen resolution) to minmum levels, rather then the one step at a time, but be warned the game won't look so hot either.

Guest Lakmoots

well... the card handles KOTOR1 without a hitch, and it can play both games in high textures with little or no slowdown.

I have tried messing about with *ALL* in-game graphics options and no luck either!!

Because it only ever affects the one character model, I don't see how it could be the card... perhaps the game??

I also un-installed the latest Nvidia drivers, stupid things came with less options than the last set, and I need the "refresh rate override" option to play Jedi Academy... damn LA games are a pain in the neck!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lakmoots
Actually the new drivers have more options, you just have to select the advanced mode.

The new nvidia 71. drivers dont seem to have the option to override refresh rates in them at all.

I could be looking in the wrong place, though they seem to have been removed.