The legal status of the old Black Isle games?

Yst

When I get review copies sent home to me, they don't come (well, most often not) in the original box. Instead they either just lie directly in an envelope or inside a thin, plastic pocket. After a while, these loose CD's tend to pile up and sooner or later they're just bound to become scratched. I sure hope that I'll be able to get a backup once it happens.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I usually lose every cd I get ..  :"> which is why I always make an iso copy of it (don't worry I don't distribute it) .. so I have isos of every old game on my harddisk, much easier that way!

You do realize HDDs are more unstable than CD-Rs right? As soon as your HDD goes, you can say buh-bye to all your games. :p

well in the 11 years I've been a PC owner a harddisk has never failed me .. but alot of CD's have, I guess it's because I treat my internal computer better than accessories.. plus I burn copies of them once in a while (and then they get lost and I make new ones), so if something should happen to the harddisk I do have backups ..

Fortune favors the bald.

I usually lose every cd I get ..  :"> which is why I always make an iso copy of it (don't worry I don't distribute it) .. so I have isos of every old game on my harddisk, much easier that way!

You do realize HDDs are more unstable than CD-Rs right? As soon as your HDD goes, you can say buh-bye to all your games. :rolleyes:

well in the 11 years I've been a PC owner a harddisk has never failed me .. but alot of CD's have, I guess it's because I treat my internal computer better than accessories.. plus I burn copies of them once in a while (and then they get lost and I make new ones), so if something should happen to the harddisk I do have backups ..

1. What brand of HDDs do you buy?

2. What Antivirus and Firewall do you use?

1. right now I use Quantum Fireball and Maxtor (had 'em for 4 years now).. before that an IBM which I sold off to someone else, had that one since 1996 and he still has it! and with my first computer from 94 (sitting behind me and acting like a server) is a very old 400 mb harddisk, still functional! :- and a newer 10gb one.. I think they are IBM as well!

2. I always use Norton and the newest thing they have ..

I clean up my harddisks rather often! using defragment or scanddisk etc. and uninstall and reinstall Windows once every second year!

Fortune favors the bald.

Every second year? There's an unofficial advice to pro users of WinXp from microsoft that says it should be cleaned out and reinstalled EVERY TWO WEEKS to enshure stablility. Heh.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I have to think the audience for PS:T is larger than the audience for Leather Goddesses of Phobos

This game sounds like TEH WINNA! Where can I find it?

You can download both of the Phobos games at Home of the Underdogs.

Nah, it appears Leather Goddesses of Phobos is still under copyright. Some crappy graphical sequel is available at the Underdogs. The original is still available for purchase in a couple different Infocom Classics collections released over the years here and there, and seemingly someone owns it, oddly enough, so if it's available for download anywhere, it's being hosted illegally. The Underdogs don't appear to have it, of course, consequently. Incidentally, the version I purchased it in (for $20 or something) was at one point in time (a couple years ago) so incredibly rare that it was selling for $500-600USD mint (actually selling, not just being priced at that) at auction. I believe another Infocom collection has been released since, however.

damn I would feel like an idiot if I bought a game for 500$ and a couple of years later the market gets flooded with new editions .. lol

Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine how any game could be worth that much, but I guess this was after all a collection of all the greatest text adventures in history (with manuals), with relative uncertainty regarding whether such a collection would ever be released again.