Idle thoughts on the word "Terrorism"

kumquatq3

Regarding our "A-bomb discussion", I've found an article by an Associate Professor of the university of Tokyo.

The title is "Why Must Japan Apologize for War While the United States Has Not Apologized for the Atomic Bombing?: Reply to a Young Japanese".

Here is an excerpt from it (though I think it could be interesting to read the full text anyway):

Perspective on the Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

The US dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki is a war crime. Unless we soundly denounce this act, we cannot aim for a world without nuclear weapons.

However, in thinking about this problem, there are four points we ought to bear in mind.

First, the war with the United States took place as a result of Japan's invasions of China, the Indochinese Peninsula, and elsewhere. Therefore, the dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was also a consequence of Japan's invasion of Asia. Unless we pursue Japan's responsibility for this aggression against Asia, Japanese people's cry for "No More Hiroshimas" has little persuasive power. 

Second, the dropping of atomic bombs is an extreme form of indiscriminate strategic bombing; but in the history of indiscriminate bombing, it is Japan which bears a weighty responsibility. It is true that indiscriminate bombing began with the Nazis' air raids in 1937 on Guernica, Spain, yet the first to conduct long-term indiscriminate strategic bombing of the capital of an enemy country was Japan, namely, Japan's attacks on Zhongqing, China, since 1939. 

Third, the victims of the atomic bombing in Hiroshima and Nagasaki include over twenty different nationalities. In particular, there were tens of thousands of people from the Korean peninsula, many of whom were forcibly brought to Japan. Since the war ended, Japan has said, "We are the only nation in the world that has ever been the victim of atomic bombing." But the memory of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is hardly something that can be "nationalized" in this way.

Fourth, if Japan had immediately accepted the Potsdam Declaration and surrendered in July 1945, there would have been no atomic bombing. Already by February 1945, former Prime Minister KONOYE Fumimaro advised Emperor Hirohito that "Soon defeat will be unavoidable, so we should quickly begin negotiations to end the war." However, Emperor Hirohito avoided doing this on the grounds that there was no guarantee of "protection of the national polity," meaning it was not certain that the Emperor system would be preserved. The following March brought the widespread bombing of Tokyo, followed by the bombing of cities throughout Japan, including Osaka and Nagoya. In April, the Battle of Okinawa began, and in August the atomic bombs were dropped. Moreover, people in Manchuria were victimized as the Soviet Union advanced against Japan, and the prolonged detention of Japanese POWs in Siberia ensued.

In short, one could say that the major war damages Japanese citizens suffered were a result of the emperor's "belated holy decision" to end the war. From the perspective not only of the peoples of Asia, but from that of the Japanese who suffered, it can be said that the emperor's responsibility for the war is unmistakably heavy.

(...)

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Prior to the dropping of the A-bombs...The Japs (Japs...Japs...Japs)

Way to use a term that makes another group of people seem subhuman ;)

My roommate is very impressed with you and hes only half japanese perhaps now you could use the "n" word a couple of times in talking about buffalo soldiers and then say how you're only kidding, that there was no hate involved and that the world is too politically correct

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.