Charisma

Guest Damar Stiehl

Dexterity I guess, and maybe Wisdom, but I wouldn't drop either below 10. You'll need to pump Strength and Con, so you'll be tough enough to withstand some pounding without Dexterity... And your offensive Force capabilities will suck anyway until you get very high in levels.

You need Int for skill points, so don't even think of dropping THAT...

Hm.. I was under the impression that skill points weren't particularly important, that surely was the fact in KOTOR1. In that game I made a guardian/consular hybrid with massive amounts of wisdom, and relatively high strength. I kicked ass, both force-wise and melee-wise. That combination seems to be out of the question in this game, because of the fact that good conversation actually requires intelligence... (who'd have thought...)

How would Awareness help me in a conversation situation?

Conversation options sometimes require awareness. In fact, pretty much all skills are relevant in conversation now. I.E. Repair skill might be needed to know while talking to someone about systems being shut down in a space station that this wouldn't be standard emergency procedure, etc.

Skills are much more important than in KOTOR1. Period.

Guest Damar Stiehl

The game checks your Awareness score and gives you extra dialogue options sometimes. I think it represents your char noticing something about whoever he's talking to. I.e. you'll be talking to someone and notice them fidgeting if your Awareness is high enough, so...

[Awareness] What the hell are you fidgeting for? Are you planning to bite me?

I think conversation checks are also made on Treat Injury (BAH! I hate that skill)

If you want to play a Guardian H'n'S...

Int 14

Wis 14

Cha 10

Divide the remaining between Str, Dex and Cos I suggest to raise Dex and Cos, the first 'cause with Saber Finesse you can add it's modifier at attack roll, gaining with one single stat to Defence and Offence... There are many helpful jedi robes in game so you dont have to trouble about the bonus of various armour...

SP in:

Repair (If for guardian is cross class, save the point at character creation and pick the feat Class Skill - Repair)

Persuade

Awareness

Ok.. I presume that that configuration enables me to pack a punch in combat as well as being adequate in non-combat situations too?

I have started playing a sentinel in a very similar configuration... Single error starting with 16 Dex, that isn't really needed, Dex can be boosted after...

Before the corruption of the savegames (Problem of my PC, AKA incompetent brother...) that was a really good Fighter and a quite adeguate talkative guy...

Ok.. I presume that that configuration enables me to pack a punch in combat as well as being adequate in non-combat situations too?

You don't want a Guardian, it sounds like. You want the Sentinel. All they lose compared to Guardians is a few hitpoints, one feat and cannot get Weapon Specialization: Lightsaber. Which aren't a big deal, as they get a large amount of skillpoints.

Really, there is no point in being a Guardian as things stand. Something to be modded...

Guest Damar Stiehl

But Guardians are H'n'S by nature. You can't "rock" at something and be "good" at everything else. You can either be "OK at everything" (Sentinel) or you can "Rock" at one thing and "Kinda suck" at everything else.

The bad news that dialogue skill checks fall on the PC's shoulders. Which means you have to be skillful in order to talk the talk. The good news is that even if you're merely "good" at fighting you are still DAMN GOOD compared to your enemies. It's almost "advantage: Consular and Sentinel" because the Sentinel is skillful by nature and the Consular at least has his bases covered with Charisma and, subsequently, Persuasion.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that Charisma influencing Force Powers is a bunch of bantha crap?

Interesting points by all of you. Seems like the sentinel is my guy, then.

The interesting thing is, in KOTOR1, I found a way of rocking at both fighting and force-casting at the same time, and ended up with an insane amount of both VP and FP... had more force points than Jolee at the end.

Seems like this game is more complex and interesting than the original...

What are your recommended Sentinel start-out configurations, then? Charisma and persuasion is still important, I guess?

I start with

STR 8

DEX 16

CON 10

INT 14

WIS 14

CHA 14

You may save some point in CHA and DEX to increase STR and COS...

Consider that start from level 15 you can Prestige Class, and if you do it at level 17 (20 in all the choosen skill) you can become Weaponmaster and REALLY H'n'S Everything...

Ok... On the other side of the fence, what about this guy?

str: 15

dex: 10

Con: 14

Int: 16

Wis: 10

Cha: 10

Don't know if I'm too pleased with this one, though.

I didn't really pay too much attention to the implants during the original, are they tremendously important? How do they function? Are they temporary boosts to attributes or permanent boosts (as long as you "wear" them)?