Bugs: when is the patch?

zuke

So, after getting to the Ebon Hawk for the first time, the game started crashing to the desktop. After the crashes, often several in a row, even after defragging and running c:\chkdksk /f

Sys Specs: WINXP2, AMD 3200+, 1GB Corsair RAM PC3200, ATI 9600XT, 80GB HD. 5.2 Catalyst Drivers.

I've read that KOTORII dose not get along with ATI, but having to re-install the drivers down to version 4.11, as has been suggested, plus an obscure 8.07 patch, would hamper my enjoyment of half-dozen other titles I play, from VtM, HL2, Doom3, MOHPA, Scrapland, Chronicles of Riddick, and more.

KOTORI was fine, but I believe I had an nVidia card at the time, and I'm not ready to upgrade.

I tried the fix to the swkotor2.ini file and this seems to have helped, but I have not played an extended session since the edit. I am almost ready to return the game as unplayable, get my store cred, and buy something else.

It is really awefull these games are pushed out the door without more testing. This is the last time I buy a game the day it is released. There are too many other great, non-buggy games to play!

(w00t)

zuke you're exactly right. The lack of testing on the part of Obsidian is disgusting. They aren't being professional at all.. no care for their customers. A patch better be released soon.

Blame Lucas Arts... The publisher... More than Obsidian to some degree.

Publishers calls the shots and determine impossible time tables for developers to ship products as complex as KOTOR 2... That the devs can't meet no matter how hard they try... And this is the result.

Also, LA is the one who approves patches and if they don't feel the game warrants one (for a lot of reasons) we won't get one. That is not to say one is not coming, but it will probably be in three to five weeks from now given how these kinds of things are done.

You can either wait until then and HOPE one comes out... Or if you have no choice, return the game because your window for returns/refunds runs out long before that projected patch date.

That's just it Master Dahvernas, I'm not sure if waiting for something that may or may not be coming (and even if it is.. may be along time). I really like this game, saw it played on my friends XBox and fell in love, but I dislike being kicked in the nuts.. so I guess I'll make my decision soon enough, depending on whether or not the devs make some kind of statement.. (IE: a patch is coming people.. be patient!, etc)

This is the last time I buy a game the day it is released. There are too many other great, non-buggy games to play!

This is about the best thing anyone can do to promote more QA on games. If more people took a few weeks to see how things go with a game, and perhaps wait for a first patch, then there will be more of an onus on developers/publishers to get it right before release. Anyone who buys games on the day of release (which includes me, in the case of TSL) should be aware of the ramifications of such a choice and deal with the consequences accordingly.

Of course, there is the problem that if a game doesn't sell very well, they may decide not to put any effort into a patch at all, in which case a game that could be good won't get the chance, even if it is after a release. Hmm, it may be a Catch-22 for that particular game, but it might still have some longterm effects. It won't have any effect if only a few do it anyway. :thumbsup: