ITER

Darth Reven

And these countries are not poor and underdeveloped because some of them had communist goverments, but because they have never been given the chance to develop, because their resources are being sold out to rich countries at bottom prices. Countries with goverments that refused this draining were dealt with either with direct action like Guatemala, Chile, Iran or by crushing economic sanctions like with Cuba.
I would say that the richest nations, the capitalist nations, are rich because we control the distribution of resources, and we have taken from the less-developed countries in order to further ourselves and not because capitalism is such a great system. Its great for us at the top, shure, but detrimental for the major part of earhs population.

I must admit I'm a bit fed up with all the 'poor third world' speech. It's the kind of BS that is so fashionable nowadays. Filthy rich celebrities giving an insignificant part of their personal wealth for the development of the poor countries and acting as though they were saving the world, everyone saying how much the 'parasitic' western culture sucks, how evil we are, and at the same time driving their very own car at 18, and dressing with the best they can afford. That's the kind of hipocrisy that sickens me, not only because because of itself, but because of the fact that's mostly built upon lies.

It's not our fault that most of the countries that comprise the so-called 'third world' have ruling classes whose wealth is only matched by their corruption. It's not our fault that the people on some of those countries refuse to develop, be it because they see development as a part of the hated western culture, or because their god forbids them from turning against the same ruling class that bleeds them to death.

Granted, many of the wars that ravage some of those countries were our fault to begin with, but it's them who could have stopped the violence but have chosen not to. It's so much easier just to whine and dwell in self-pity than to actually do something about it. And it's even easier when you're actually encouraged to do so by those who you place the blame on.

We, the westerners, have had more than our fair share of wars, famines, devastating plagues, economical debacles, and murderous totalitarian regimes. Yet we fought through all of that to create a prosperous society. We bought what we have with blood. Our blood, for the most part. I'm not about to cover my face in shame for what I am. Neither should you.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Your opinions all suck. The reason China shouldn't be allowed to have it has noting to do with communism or capitalism, it has to do with human rights. Its bad enough they get MFN statis without us (meaning U.S.)mentioning how bad things are over there for more than a week.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

213374U> you agree with me that we in the west have ruined much for third world countries by colonization and exploitation. But I dont think its fair to say that these countries are to fully blame for their current state given the extent of just how much damage the west has done for so long a time and are still doing in some cases.

If we work with examples, if the west(for economic reasons) would not have intervened in the democratisation of the middle east 50 years ago(specifically the Shah coup in Iran and the rise of the Baath party in Iraq), these countries may have been regular peaceful democratic countries. The examples are endless and the conclusion cannot be another than that our past and sometimes present goverments bear the ultimate responsability for the conditions of life in less fortunate countries.

Laozi> I think we left the issue of the powerplant a long time ago(atleast I did) but you are right that China is in violation of human rights, something that should not be tolerated.

But by denying them this or other technological improvements we are playing into the hands of the regime because an undeveloped people is far easier to supress. If they get electricity, then maybe they can get a Tv and a satellite dish in every rural village, and then they will se that there are other ways of life than to live in a totalitarian state and that may just be the start of democracy. On the other hand, it might not be. Its just an idea that might work.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "