Influence

I don't know if there's already a thread for this, so if there is my bad. But I've ran into some influence issues in my games and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. It can be with any character, but my main one was Kreia.

I was playing the game DS and actually having much more fun playing the game like that than LS, and I was trying to get a really high influence with Kreia because, quite honestly, I usually don't use her unless she's forced upon me by the game. Plus, I wanted to hear what she had to say about Revan (btw, I had no idea you got so much exp. for getting her to tell you about Revan. whoa)

But, in certain situations where I would perform the most heinous acts (heh heh heh) she would sometimes lecture me or even openly mock me. Soon, I was losing Influence with her. In fact, it got so bad, I had to swap her out of my party for somebody else more in tune to my character's alignment.

What gives? I mean, this is Darth Traya we're talking about here. A freakin' Sith Lord. It seems like she should've been more open to my brutality and malice and helped me to harness that rage for the battles to come.

Looking back, I suppose that may have been OE's way of making the DS in this game much more cerebral and not so thugish. Because Kreia is not interested in bullying and really thinks such acts are childish and immature, or worse, draws attention to you. I guess I can appreciate that, but it got so that Kreia was lecturing me more than Handmaiden. In fact, Handmaiden hardly ever lectured me after a while. She just became a mass murderer along with me. And Visas kind of dug it.

Also, Mandalore. You can have more influence over him than war itself and he still only goes so far.

But it was the apparent inconsistencies that got a little frusterating for me.

Am I way off-base with this?

I don't know if there's already a thread for this, so if there is my bad.  But I've ran into some influence issues in my games and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  It can be with any character, but my main one was Kreia.

I was playing the game DS and actually having much more fun playing the game like that than LS, and I was trying to get a really high influence with Kreia because, quite honestly, I usually don't use her unless she's forced upon me by the game.  Plus, I wanted to hear what she had to say about Revan (btw, I had no idea you got so much exp. for getting her to tell you about Revan. whoa)

But, in certain situations where I would perform the most heinous acts (heh heh heh) she would sometimes lecture me or even openly mock me.  Soon, I was losing Influence with her.  In fact, it got so bad, I had to swap her out of my party for somebody else more in tune to my character's alignment.

What gives?  I mean, this is Darth Traya we're talking about here. A freakin' Sith Lord.  It seems like she should've been more open to my brutality and malice and helped me to harness that rage for the battles to come.

Looking back, I suppose that may have been OE's way of making the DS in this game much more cerebral and not so thugish.  Because Kreia is not interested in bullying and really thinks such acts are childish and immature, or worse, draws attention to you.  I guess I can appreciate that, but it got so that Kreia was lecturing me more than Handmaiden.  In fact, Handmaiden hardly ever lectured me after a while.  She just became a mass murderer along with me.  And Visas kind of dug it.

Also, Mandalore.  You can have more influence over him than war itself and he still only goes so far.

I think Kriea's being completely in character here. While she may have been both a Jedi and a Sith, she doesn't want the exile to conform to either extreme. She believes in subtle manipulation and (most importantly) the fullfilment of the exile's personal destiny. She thinks that the Sith's mindless slaughter are as unproductive as the Jedi helping people when it may not be in anyone's best interests.

I also think that we need to rethink whether Kriea/Traya really qualifies as evil. Is she manipulative? Yes. If you believe Atris, she want's to destroy the Force, which would mean the end of life. But she doesn't do it for enjoyment or personal gain, she does it because she believes its the only way she will be free. The worst thing she does is send Nihilius to Telos, but she doesn't do that to destroy the planet (though she understands it might happen), she does it so the Exile can complete his/her destiny.

This is why I love what OE did with Kriea. The SW universe is totally based on George Lucas' ideas of a black/white-good/evil morality, and Kriea doesn't pay any attention to such absolutes.

Back to the point of this post: Kriea hates it if you are too good or too bad, and she has good reasons to do both. And from my point of view, it's much more fun (and more challenging) to go DS being as manipulative as she is. One of my peeves with the first game is that going DS seemed so empty. If you were dark, you were a brainless thug. This game gets it better.

I don't know if there's already a thread for this, so if there is my bad.  But I've ran into some influence issues in my games and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  It can be with any character, but my main one was Kreia.

I was playing the game DS and actually having much more fun playing the game like that than LS, and I was trying to get a really high influence with Kreia because, quite honestly, I usually don't use her unless she's forced upon me by the game.  Plus, I wanted to hear what she had to say about Revan (btw, I had no idea you got so much exp. for getting her to tell you about Revan. whoa)

But, in certain situations where I would perform the most heinous acts (heh heh heh) she would sometimes lecture me or even openly mock me.  Soon, I was losing Influence with her.  In fact, it got so bad, I had to swap her out of my party for somebody else more in tune to my character's alignment.

What gives?  I mean, this is Darth Traya we're talking about here. A freakin' Sith Lord.  It seems like she should've been more open to my brutality and malice and helped me to harness that rage for the battles to come.

Looking back, I suppose that may have been OE's way of making the DS in this game much more cerebral and not so thugish.  Because Kreia is not interested in bullying and really thinks such acts are childish and immature, or worse, draws attention to you.  I guess I can appreciate that, but it got so that Kreia was lecturing me more than Handmaiden.  In fact, Handmaiden hardly ever lectured me after a while.  She just became a mass murderer along with me.  And Visas kind of dug it.

Also, Mandalore.  You can have more influence over him than war itself and he still only goes so far.

simple answer about kreia and influence: because she was about manipulation, not about pure violence. if you slaughtered someone for the sake of slaughtering them, she might reprimand you for it because in her mind you could have used that person as a pawn to further your own goals instead of being a butcher.

shes all about manipulation, so senseless violence is obviously going to draw a lecture from her.

simple answer about kreia and influence: because she was about manipulation, not about pure violence. if you slaughtered someone for the sake of slaughtering them, she might reprimand you for it because in her mind you could have used that person as a pawn to further your own goals instead of being a butcher.

shes all about manipulation, so senseless violence is obviously going to draw a lecture from her.

To expand on Nights great answer,

This area seems to be causeing alot of misunderstanding in TSL. Kreia is evil, but shes a intellegent evil. She realizes that to truely be in power and have power over others you need them alive and broken into servitude.

This IMO was one of the great aspects of TSL's. They moved away from the "kill everything and everyone that disagrees with me" type evil that is protrayed much to often and instead brought forth a interesting Evil character.

Killing as a evil might be nessessary but manipulating people to go against their nature and submit to your own rules and ideas is much much more interesting when all is said and done.

After all, you cant be a ruler if there is no one around to be ruled.

TSL breaks the normal patern in a few cases during the game and players (myself included) will have to break old 1 dimensional gaming habits to recieve the full storyline and experience.