NFL Playoff predictions

kumquatq3

Anyway, I'm an Ohio State Fan (as if you couldn't tell) and I'm not really looking forward to the Bowls either, and it really doesn't have to do with the Buckeyes being in the Alamo Bowl. It's the BCS that ruffling feathers hear in Columbus. Not only are we having a national title game when we have five undefeated teams in the country, but, more importantly to those of us in the Big Ten, the Rose Bowl is no longer the Pac 10 - Big Ten battle it always was. What the heck is Texas going to Pasadena for? It should be Michigan vs. Cal (or really, Michigan vs. USC).

But even those of you who aren't Big Ten/Pac 10 must have a problem with the national title game with five undefeated teams.

Oh, I long for the day when we will have a tournament.....

Go Blue!!!!

Auburn is the one really getting screwed. There is really 3 teams that have legitimate claims at the #1 spot. Utah, Bosie St. and those other small schools just dont belong, they are not in as tough of confrences as Big 10, SEC, or Big 12. It seams like evey year we are in the same situation. They really need to do something where at the end of the year we dont end up with more than one undefeated team from a major conference.

Go Blue!!!!

Auburn is the one really getting screwed. There is really 3 teams that have legitimate claims at the #1 spot. Utah, Bosie St. and those other small schools just dont belong, they are not in as tough of confrences as Big 10, SEC, or Big 12. It seams like evey year we are in the same situation. They really need to do something where at the end of the year we dont end up with more than one undefeated team from a major conference.

Say what you want about the Utah's and Bosie State's of the world, those smaller schools don't get enough respect (I hate year after year how people knock confernces like the MAC. The MAC has some very quality team, but some people just won't even look at them).

Like I said, all you need is an eight team tournament - problem solved.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

Why is a playoff the end-all answer?

Most college sports have playoff systems. Do you really think the best team in the country wins the NCAA basketball tourneys each year? Nope.

Do the best 8 teams make it to the College World Series every year? No.

Did the best team just win the NCAA volleyball tourney? No. The top ranked team didn't make the Final Four.

Playoffs mean removing the bowl system, they mean playing during finals for student atheletes, they mean a longer schedule which means more injuries, etc. And it doesn't mean that the best team wins at the end.

There is no perfect system. Pick a set of rules at the beginning of the year, and play by them. But don't bitch at the end of the year that you didn't like the rules.

Auburn should be happy. They've got the easiest matchup of the national title contenders. Auburn is all but guaranteed a split national title and a bowl victory. For USC and Oklahoma, they have a tough game and face possible huge dissapointment.

My idea is to take the top 8 teams in the BCS rankings and pair them together. Forget conference matchups and BS. We shouldn't have a team barely in the top 25 playing in a BCS game while the number 5 team in the BCS gets left out.

If you make the top 8, you get a BCS game. That's fair.

stil have faith in the Cowboys  o:) go ahead laugh at me  :p

(w00t) :D :) ^_^ :huh: :D

The Bears are clearly the ones to get that sixth spot :unsure:

It's too bad the Bears won't do anything with that playoff spot. :thumbsup:

Shifting topics slightly,

Do you think Peyton Manning will break Marino's record this week (Sunday Night I believe) against the Ravens? (despite what they say on ESPN)

1. You bastard

2. Ray Lewis might not play. If he plays I say Peyton ties the record. If he doesn't, he breaks the record.

1. Just telling the truth, my friend. (I actually don't really mind the Bears. I would rather see them win than most other teams in the NFL)

2. Manning could have broken the record, but he had too much class to do it. Manning had two chances to tie Marino last night - the first time was on a drive that took the Colts to the four yard line and the Ravens backed off, expecting Manning to go for the record. Instead he hands the ball off to James who scores untouched (and Manning does most of the play calling). The second time was at the end of the game on the Raven's four with 56 seconds remaining and the Colts downed took a knee. Manning will get the record before the season's over, but he'll do it with class.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

Why is a playoff the end-all answer?

Most college sports have playoff systems.  Do you really think the best team in the country wins the NCAA basketball tourneys each year?  Nope.

Do the best 8 teams make it to the College World Series every year?  No.

Did the best team just win the NCAA volleyball tourney?  No.  The top ranked team didn't make the Final Four.

So the best team doesn't win the NCAA basketball tourney each year.

So what?

The point of a tounament is that all teams of high caliber get the opportunity to show that they are the best team in the land. To show that they have what it takes to go above the rest. And how do they prove that they are the best? Not by some point system or by a group of writers and coachs voting for the best. They could prove the only way it can be proven - on the field.

Like I said, take the top 8 teams and throw them in the top bowls. I also said I'd support a plus-one game. But say a full round of playoffs with 16 teams would horribly extend the system, and no one is just going to abandon the bowl system anyway.

The real problem is the conference ties to BCS berths. Just take the top 8 teams.

Someone was complaining that the Rose Bowl should be able to demand a Pac 10 and Big 10 team, but again, that discounts which team is most deserving of going.

Which is more important, tradition or rewarding the best teams with the best possible match-ups?

They should have a playoff for the top 4 teams in the nation, where 1 plays 4, and 2 plays 3. Than the winners play for the national championship, than there would be no problems.

Notre Dame is the best NCAA FB team ever! and Bills are going to win the super bowl.

Like I said, take the top 8 teams and throw them in the top bowls.  I also said I'd support a plus-one game.  But say a full round of playoffs with 16 teams would horribly extend the system, and no one is just going to abandon the bowl system anyway.

The real problem is the conference ties to BCS berths.  Just take the top 8 teams.

Someone was complaining that the Rose Bowl should be able to demand a Pac 10 and Big 10 team, but again, that discounts which team is most deserving of going.

Which is more important, tradition or rewarding the best teams with the best possible match-ups?

The bolded text (above) is exactly what we have now. I just don't think +1 will be enough. A tournament would give you the best match ups.

Look,

have your traditional bowls -

then you have an eight team tournament -

then you have a champion.

They should have a playoff for the top 4 teams in the nation, where 1 plays 4, and 2 plays 3. Than the winners play for the national championship, than there would be no problems.

Notre Dame is the best  NCAA FB team ever! and Bills are going to win the super bowl.

Notre Dame was stupid for firing Ty Willingham - although I must admit, I am impressed by their new coach.

The Bills have a shot - they are one of the hottest teams in football. Still, they would have to get by the AFC Kings - the Patriots, Steelers, and Colts.

Notre Dame is the best  NCAA FB team ever! and Bills are going to win the super bowl.

Notre Dame was stupid for firing Ty Willingham - although I must admit, I am impressed by their new coach.

The Bills have a shot - they are one of the hottest teams in football. Still, they would have to get by the AFC Kings - the Patriots, Steelers, and Colts.

Charlie Weiss is an excellent pick up for Notre Dame, I found that willingham made some stupid decisions expecially the last game against USC.

With the Bills i think that if they play the Colts they have a good shot at winning, but i don't think Bledsoe can hold up agianst the Pats or the Steelers defenses.

With the Bills i think that if they play the Colts they have a good shot at winning, but i don't think Bledsoe can hold up agianst the Pats or the Steelers defenses.

A week ago, I would have agreed, but the Colts defense really impressed me last night. The Bills defense isn't the defense of the Raven, so Manning could score quite a bit against the Bills - and the Colts will be home.

A week ago, I would have agreed, but the Colts defense really impressed me last night. The Bills defense isn't the defense of the Raven, so Manning could score quite a bit against the Bills - and the Colts will be home.

True, Indy well have an advantage since they are home, but i still have faith that McGahee can run all over them if the o-line keeps playing like it is. The Bills defense is playing excellent lately 16 tournovers in 3 games, you could say the teams the played weren't that good, but its stil 16 tournover. The Defense would have to put a lot of pressure on Manning if they would want to win.

The bolded text (above) is exactly what we have now. I just don't think +1 will be enough. A tournament would give you the best match ups.

Look,

have your traditional bowls -

then you have an eight team tournament -

then you have a champion.

You are completely mistaken. What we have now is the BCS Conferences champions get automatic berths, and there are two at large berths. For a non BCS school to get in, they must be in the top 6.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/index.cfm?page=eligibility

The top 8 teams do not automatically get in. Pitt was like 21 in both polls, and they're going to the BCS while an undefeated team is being left out.

In our current system it's determined on the field, during the season.

Schedule good opponents, and win. It's not that tough.

Let's take college basketball. Let's say you play 25 games and go 24-1. Then you get upset and don't make the Final Four. Now people completely discount your season like it never happened.

Going 26-1 should be impressive, but all the focus is on the tournament to where the regular season means absolutely nothing anymore.

In our current system it's determined on the field, during the season.

Schedule good opponents, and win.  It's not that tough.

Let's take college basketball.  Let's say you play 25 games and go 24-1.  Then you get upset and don't make the Final Four.  Now people completely discount your season like it never happened.

Going 26-1 should be impressive, but all the focus is on the tournament to where the regular season means absolutely nothing anymore.

Well if you're the 24-1 team and you got upset, then you screwed up. You had the chance to win, but you blew. In this way sports is like anything else in life - sometimes you only get one shot to get it right.

Shifting slightly,

How 'bout them Dolphins? That put the Steelers in a real good positision for home field in the AFC Champoinship game.

Well, the BCS took a shot yesterday.

Never did like the BCS (as if you couldn't tell). We'll see what they do. I don't think they can just "go on" as if nothing has happend, or else they'll lose a lot of the little credability they have left.

Really though, even if you agree with Auburn being left out, I don't see how you could pick Texas over Cal.