Why not get a degree?

Hunter

Why are you avoiding getting a degree?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you avoiding getting a degree?

• Too much work.
    • Too expensive.
    • Want to get in the industry earlier.
    • Don't think it's necessary.
    • I'm undecided, get off my back!

I don't know whether or not a degree helps you a huge deal when applying for a game development job; I've heard people going both ways.

However, being an educated person is a huge boon to creativity I think and so if you get a Liberal Arts or Science degree that prepares you to think analytically it seems to me you would be a much more effective designer/programmer/whatever. Sure, you could learn that stuff on your own but it takes a lot more discipline and there is really a value to having direct access to be able to talk to researchers and build relationships with them.

For instance, if I was doing a game on espionage, I know I could call up one of my history professors who specialized in espionage and ask him, "Hey, what are some good sources on espionage in WW2?". That's something that I think would be tougher for someone who hadn't gone to college.

No amount of work xp will be able to compete with a Bs. from Harvard.  End of Story.

Is Harvard known for producing good game developers?

It seems to me that in the gaming industry experience beats all. Almost any job posting will require 2 or 3 years experience. This discussion has been more focusing on how a degree helps when you have no experience. BS from Harvard would help I think.

This may be true in most fields.  But, in general, experience is going to beat out a degree for anything but an entry level gaming position. Here's part of a job posting:

Requirements

# Game Development experience on current consoles (PS2, Xbox, Game Cube)

# At least 3 years experience as a professional C++ programmer

# Passion for games and game-creation

# Good communication skills

# Self motivated and driven to finish tasks from start to finish

Many job postings won't even mention a degree unless it is an entry level position.  The entry level positions obviously are looking for something to replace experience.

I would still advise people to get a college education and degree.

I do agree partially on what you touched on.

In the early 70

I do agree with you on this. I'm just disagreeing that it's necessary AFTER breaking in to the industry. A degree is still a good thing though. I got my BS in CS after getting in to the industry, I'm working on a Master's in software engineering now. I do think that adds something when I interview.

Unfortunatly, in a lot of California you can't expect to afford a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house on a game professionals salary.

I'm just disagreeing that it's necessary AFTER breaking in to the industry.

A degree is still a good thing though.

I got my BS in CS after getting in to the industry, I'm working on a Master's in software engineering now.

I do think that adds something when I interview.

Unfortunatly, in a lot of California you can't expect to afford a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house on a game professionals salary.

Boy, I hear you and agree with you there on all of the above.

Tsel :)

I wouldn't say do not study if you were to become a programmer under any circumstances.

I would seriously think of it if you were to become an artist.

I have not finished my studies yet i see that very few of what i was tought worth paying for.

What i enjoyed and found very usefull was of course Drawing, Art History(as it gave me a

broad perspective of art), Graphic Design.. the rest was pretty much without significant value to me.

Not because i was not very interested but because of the value of the teachers.

That doesn't mean i didn't study though.I got many books on lighting, architecture, lighting,

animation and life drawing, as well as technical stuff, like rigging tutorial DVDs etc. and I keep

contact with forums to stay on the edge.

I would suggest to an artist to take seminars and work hard at home drawing modeling

animating build a portfolio.But you need to be able to

understand where you lack. If you can't you better find a good school

and they will know what you need to know.

I'd say a good program worths something close to 2 years on the line but it's not quite the same.

As in many studies particularly though in Art related studies talent can't be replaced.

Baragonas use of the word study brings up a point to me. Whether or not you get a degree, you have to be determined to learn everything you can about your field. Even after you've got a job, you need to keep learning the new technologies.

Whether you get the degree or not, you need to do the learning.

Exactly, it is just that most people feel/learn better having someone experienced showing them the way. It's like taking a shortcut i think.Only not a real one, as you still have to work hard earning the degree.

Like with many professions nowadays you need to keep in touch with what's next as things move real fast.Especially with fields like Game Development as trends and technologies change all the time.Let alone that you need to be real flexible to fit to the workflow of many different types of projects.

Baragonas & Hunter >

Yes, I fully agree, I would like to add that a guru in the industry once told me that no one can know everything.

What employers look for, after the college degree issue if it applies, is talented self motivated individuals who know where to find the information needed to accomplish certain tasks.

Again, no one can know everything, but individuals who have a firm grasp of what to do, and who can look up things for themselves, and accomplish the required tasks is what most employers seek.

Tsel :)

It seems to me that in game design as in art your portfolio is more important than anything else. It's quite obvious why this would be: knowledge and problem solving skills can't often be judged directly (which is why they look at your degrees), but artistic/creative skills often can be.

I'm of the mind that the best way to get into the gaming industry is to make a good game/mod, either on your own or with others, to demonstrate that you've got what it takes. This is with regards to game design. I'm not so sure about programming - true, anyone can be a programmer, but to make great games you want more than the average programmer. You want someone who's smart enough to implement cutting edge optimization, graphics libraries, and even R&D his own tech (ie Pixar's R&D team) if industrial equivalents can't be found. Most truly successful game companies do not simply license engines - they modify them heavily, or develop their own, in order to stay ahead of the technology curve. To do this, you need true scientific savvy, true ingenuity, and for that you have to go to the high-class university graduates - and pay them big bucks.

But game design? Nah. Although, really, it'd be much better if you had BOTH - technological savvy and game design experience, at which point you're going to be ahead of the guy with just either. In any industry where competition is key, the person who's more "bang" for the buck typically wins out. Who would you pick, if you were faced with two guys who's both made mods/games, but one has a BS degree in CS from MIT and the other has just a community college education? The former you could probably depend on for more than just game design - the latter, not necessarily. As with anything else, therefore, it's good to understand that getting a job is not necessarily about being the best man for the job - as that's entirely too difficult to tell simply from resumes/interview imperssions - but being the *better* man than anyone else applying.

There are doors