Graduate Degrees

alanschu

I'm currently in my second year of CompSci at my local University and am loving it.

Until recently, I never really considered the possibility of going for my Masters or PhD.

However, anyone have any insight on how useful this might be? I think it might be interesting to go into grad school and whatnot, but if there was actually some additional benefits that would come with it outside of my own personal growth, then that might help push me in that direction.

I guess the problem is that I don't really know what entails graduate school. I mean, I know I do "research," but what exactly does that mean? Or maybe I don't do "research." I dunno hehehe :ermm:

Anyone have any CompSci Graduate school experience?

I have a BS in Computer Science, I'm currently in a masters program for software engineering. Skipping the fact the software engineering is different from computer science, the main differences are that your work is more focused (no more general ed) and the work is somewhat more abundant and harder. A masters program is only 30 units (one year fulltime).

A PhD is a whole nother matter. I don't know all the details, but there are tests to qualify for a PhD program. Then you have to aply to programs at different universities. The programs can vary greatly, but they will tend towards research for a professor type stuf I beleive.

I have a master's degree and dropped out of my PhD program to get a job when I have my first child and can't say I regret it. I think PhD is best for academics, which is technically what I wanted to do. However, I think a graduate degree does not necessarily open more doors for you, but maybe increases your pay a bit. I started a whole position higher at my current company then the people whith just BS degrees. Basically I got a three year jump for an average of 2 years worth of work. However, its a lot easier to beat the PhD bonus, so that is why I say its less attractive. In other words, I already get paid more then a starting PhD, and would be barely finishing this year if I did not quit.

it depends on what you're going into, too...

my MS actually got me into a design position (electrical engineering) in a research/advanced development group right out of school and, similar to tricrit, allowed a quicker promotion path. most of the BS guys worked for me, essentially, and many still weren't doing heavy design work after several years. a PhD will get you into intense research quickly, too, and usually counts as about 3-5 years of experience when getting hired. lincoln labs at MIT, bell labs in helmdale NJ (several nobel laureates there), the ONR et. al. regularly hire PhD's right out of school as researchers.

i'm doing the PhD after starting work route so i can't really say how long it would have taken had i started before working. i've been in the industry almost 10 years now so it certainly would have been many years ago... as it stands, it will take another 2-3 years even though i only have 4 classes left... ugh. like tricrit said, however, once you start working, the PhD or even the MS doesn't mean anything if you aren't good at what you do and experience rules.

oh, btw, my reasons are both academic (i wouldn't mind teaching a little) and professional. i'm on the company resume and a PhD will help open doors for projects. also, if i ever get enough gumption (i'm from missouri, sorry) to start my own business, a PhD is a door opener there, as well.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

A PhD is a whole nother matter.  I don't know all the details, but there are tests to qualify for a PhD program.  Then you have to aply to programs at different universities.  The programs can vary greatly, but they will tend towards research for a professor type stuf I beleive.

eh, depends. my requirements: 5 references preferably written by other PhDs or professors (easy to get once you're working), 60 credit hours (the MS qualified for 30, even though i ended up with 45), a B average or better (no probs there but linear algebra is a beeeatch), an entrance exam this january covering 6 subject areas broadly and then focusing on 4 subject areas narrowly (an all day test), a post acceptance test which amounts to a literature review of your dissertation topic, and then of course the dissertation and defense.

some schools are MUCH tougher. some are MUCH easier. it just depends (undergarments).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to grad school as a teaching assistant and it was a highly rewarding experience that I think helped me later on in my career (the teaching part that is, the classes were pretty much more of the same--I imagine research assistantship is probably a more intellectually challenging avenue).

I'm in my second year of graduate school in computer science (at UNC Chapel Hill), and was recently admitted to the PhD program. Here's my two cents:

o) MS degrees usually take 2 years, and PhDs take roughly 3 years more after the MS, though PhDs vary more in the amount of time they take.

o) If you're optimizing for money, the best route to take is getting an MS. Others on this board so far agree with this.

o) You can probably get a MS without doing any research (i.e., by teaching like FrankK), though teaching and research are both highly valuable skills/experiences to have.

o) Computer science as a field has an identity crisis. It's part mathematics, psychology, engineering, and art. Depending on what area of research within computer science you're interested in, the research in that area will be different. Some research involves developing prototypes to demonstrate some functionality; some involves proving theorems; others involve conducting empirical or psychological experiments.

o) Maybe I'm biased, but if you're able to get into graduate school for at least a MS, I'd recommend it. If you find that you like research enough to get your PhD, then more power to you.

o) Getting into graduate school isn't easy. (I won't even get into how many rejection letters I got...) You can seriously increase your chances by getting to know professors at your university, and getting involved with them on their research projects. Find a professor that is amiable and researching something you find interesting, and then ask if they have any problems you could solve. (Professors love to give work out!) Make sure that you are involved in not just solving the problem, but also demonstrating to the professor that you are a competant thinker. (This is important for letters of recommendation that you'll have to get.) The ideal situation is where you're also writing papers underneath them, going to conferences to present your work, etc. Graduate schools *LOVE* this.

Ok, I'm done. I could write forever, so I'll stop now. :)

I recieved my M.S. in a completely different field (Finance). Some financial companies require at least a Masters but it doesn't matter it what.

I tell you this only because there are quite a few succeesful engineering majors in the finance field who never thought they would be here. Take it for what it's worth.

Not sure how it works in your country, but here in England higher degrees in computer science are only necessary if you're considering going into teaching, or R&D where such degrees can help you get a promotion quicker. This isn't the case if your career plans are to become a comercial software engineer, where experience is everything. After your first years work experience your degree becomes worthless.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Not sure how it works in your country, but here in England higher degrees in computer science are only necessary if you're considering going into teaching, or R&D where such degrees can help you get a promotion quicker. This isn't the case if your career plans are to become a comercial software engineer, where experience is everything. After your first years work experience your degree becomes worthless.

Yes, as I have said.

Pure comp sci won't make good living.

Go for a minor.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.