Malak and Maugrim Korothir

Did Bioware just plagiarized itself? Tell me what u think  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Did Bioware just plagiarized itself? Tell me what u think

• Yes
    • No

Topic is clear. Everyone who played both games (Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR)

can see that KOTOR is, in respect of storyline, just a clone of NWN. The same scheme (main hero looks for some ancient artifacts - words of power=starmap)

the same anti-feminine scheme of strongwilled female that will be corrupted (Bastila=Aribeth) and saved by male player. The same travelling scheme (four places in which you have to solve some quests to obtain words or starmap).

The same outcome (you can kill your former chief or save her and later take on main looser) and so on. Particularly interesting is figure of main villain that threats the nice heroes. Similarities between Malak and Maugrim are so striking that it's hard to believe that Bioware could be so little original and showed so little invention

And here's the chart of striking similarities between Malak and Maugrim:

- their names are almost the same - Malak and Maugrim

- their physical look is very similar like they were brothers

- their clothes are also in the same style

- their role in devouring and corrupting game's female heroine is the same

- their end is the same

- they're both insane kooks

- your first encounter with them always ends with your defeat

Since I wasn't present on bioware forums I have no idea if this topic is actualy original (everyone who's intelligent figured this similarities long time ago) if so

I'm deeply sorry!

Check out the pictures below:

maugrim_korothir.bmp

m2.bmp

malak_healthy.bmp

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Really? That's strange cause obsidian forum system accepted them. It must be some error on their side.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

well , lets see

Malak was at gen con last year, when he metr Maugrim, and well malak like maugrim's image, so he copied it.

darth malak would have made Maugrim an aprentice and he would have been Darth Maugrim, the tyrant of the north where no character could touch him..... a cleric and a sith lord....... there is an evil combo there...

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

Those similarities are startling.

I haven't played NWN since they only have Korean versions here in Korea...and something about D&D and the Korean language really don't mix well.

Just like Kungfu movies dubbed in English are pretty weird...funny but weird.

I'll probably pick up a copy when I get to the States this October. WOO!

Did Maugrim have an annoying laugh too?

Voice acting was terrible in NWN but yeah I remember that Maugrim laughed once or twice.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

Those similarities are startling.

I haven't played NWN since they only have Korean versions here in Korea...and something about D&D and the Korean language really don't mix well.

Just like Kungfu movies dubbed in English are pretty weird...funny but weird.

I'll probably pick up a copy when I get to the States this October. WOO!

Did Maugrim have an annoying laugh too?

don't remember, only remember, his your too late speach, then he died.......

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

Never thought of Maugrim before, but as hard as it is to copy something that generic, they did it. There's Bastilla/Aribeth, the ancient overlord lizard people, plague/natural disaster ending their reign, slave revolt, the same 4 way generic run around. The NPC's generally, though, are many cuts above.

the same anti-feminine scheme of strongwilled female that will be corrupted (Bastila=Aribeth) and saved by male player.

Except for the fact that it's your own interpretation that it was anti-feminine. Revan could have been female. So therefore, a female saving another female proves that part of your theory incorrect. :blink:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Most players are males so they always choose their own gender and so this is anti-feminine.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES: