Random observation: Cleansing Flame accurately applies Might damage bonus?

TL;DR: from how I thought the ApplyOverTime abilities worked, Cleansing Flame should have noticeably reduced bonus damage from might, but from a bit of testing I did it does not seem to be the case, possibly because of it's short (5s) base duration?

So while trying out the community patch 'extra' changes, I edited the cleansing flame files to remove the increased DOT tick rate (since it inceases it's own and other tick rates without lowering duration which seems incorrect?) but since it felt pretty weak after that, I then tried to restore the original base 48 damage/tick (that the game actually interprets 80 over 5 as) while keeping it as ApplyOnTick, and I realised it ended up doing exactly the same damage per tick as in the unmodded game despite my character having 31 might (i disabled the mod and removed it from the override folder and checked that the description was the ApplyOverTime one to make sure).  So i tried testing it on some target dummies (again with no mod) with and without a might inspiration, for +53% damage bonus (from might 26 + Infamous) vs +68% with inspiration, and did 88 and 97 damage per tick, which with what should be a 1.53 vs 1.68 damage multiplier or ~10% proportional damage bonus, seems exactly right, and is indeed the numbers it shows as ApplyOnTick in game with the mod active (with 48 damage per tick) at 88.1 vs 96.8.

So maybe if an ApplyOverTime effect is short enough that it has only 1 'full' tick with its unmodified duration, Might actually works fine?

Edited by limaxophobiacq

47 minutes ago, limaxophobiacq said:

So maybe if an ApplyOverTime effect is short enough that it has only 1 'full' tick with its unmodified duration, Might actually works fine?

yeah, so the way the applyovertime effect is bugged is that it takes your might bonus and divides it by the number of ticks, and then applies *that* divided damage over the entire duration.

so if you only get 1 tick, then you divide by 1, and then divide by 1 again. so then you get the full effect of might.

edit: even though it's a direct consequence of the bug, i never actually really thought about the impact on this for a short duration effect like cleansing flame. i wonder if there are any interesting build ramifications of this?

Edited by thelee

22 minutes ago, thelee said:

yeah, so the way the applyovertime effect is bugged is that it takes your might bonus and divides it by the number of ticks, and then applies *that* divided damage over the entire duration.

so if you only get 1 tick, then you divide by 1, and then divide by 1 again. so then you get the full effect of might.

I would still have thought since  almost everything dealing with durations and damage in the game is floating point (and you get damage for partial ticks), it would at best divide by 1.666... or at worst the actual number of ticks you get (after Int bonus and target resolve penalty) but it seems its does 'base duration'/3 rounded down to an integer. 

34 minutes ago, limaxophobiacq said:

I would still have thought since  almost everything dealing with durations and damage in the game is floating point (and you get damage for partial ticks), it would at best divide by 1.666... or at worst the actual number of ticks you get (after Int bonus and target resolve penalty) but it seems its does 'base duration'/3 rounded down to an integer. 

yeah that's reasonable; i'm going to chalk it up to ApplyOverTime just being a really weird-ass thing to have in the game and just not really well-tested because of how uncommon it is.