So i have a couple of questions on wounding shot, some have been partially answered in old threads around here and some i have not been able to find the answers to. Hoping you guys can shed some light on obsidian's not so clear tooltips :) . Here we go:

1. By the description it seems wounding shot should have 2 attack rolls: one for the primary weapon hit, which if it hits applies the wounding, and then another one against fortitude for the hobble. Yet when trying to test the mechanics by attacking calisca with a greatsword the log indicates there were 3 rolls (e.g. it says stuff like 1 graze 2 hits). Is the wounding part a separate attack roll?

2. It seems to me that the accurate wounding shot talent ONLY applies its bonus to the hobble part but not the actual hit. Am i correct in this? This would mean accurate wounding shot doesnt really help making wounding shot better at dealing damage.

3. This has been basically confirmed elsewhere but just to be sure: Might helps wounding shot doubly, in that it increases the primary hit damage (obviously) but it actually also increases the wounding damage as well. I.e. with a 50% might bonus my wounding shot is a 150% dot lash? Which makes might incredibly synergistic with wounding shot.

Cheers.

On 1/25/2022 at 3:58 PM, pmmeyourbuilds said:

1. By the description it seems wounding shot should have 2 attack rolls: one for the primary weapon hit, which if it hits applies the wounding, and then another one against fortitude for the hobble. Yet when trying to test the mechanics by attacking calisca with a greatsword the log indicates there were 3 rolls (e.g. it says stuff like 1 graze 2 hits). Is the wounding part a separate attack roll?

I don't remember all too well but afaik there should be two rolls only: one vs. deflection (that's the physical dmg roll) and one vs. fortitude (the hobbling part). The wounding doesn't do a seperate attack roll since it should get applied automatically. Lashes and lash-like bonuses never need a seperate attack roll (but might have to overcome seperate DR values - obviously not raw lashes though). It may be that you have a passive, an item or a weapon that does a seperate attack roll on weapon hit. For example you could have used the Great Sword "Hours of St. Rumbalt" that does prone on crit. Could that be?

2. It seems to me that the accurate wounding shot talent ONLY applies its bonus to the hobble part but not the actual hit. Am i correct in this? This would mean accurate wounding shot doesnt really help making wounding shot better at dealing damage.

Afaik it's the other way round: your physical attack vs. deflection gtets +10 ACC but not the hobbling roll against fortitude. But maybe I'm wrong here. My last PoE game lies years in the past and although I put a ton of hours into it, some details start to fade... Anyway: yes, it's not implemented all the way through - which is an oversight that never got fixed unfortunately. Priest's Intderdiction/Painful Interdiction/Powerful Interdiction has the same problem.

3. This has been basically confirmed elsewhere but just to be sure: Might helps wounding shot doubly, in that it increases the primary hit damage (obviously) but it actually also increases the wounding damage as well. I.e. with a 50% might bonus my wounding shot is a 150% dot lash? Which makes might incredibly synergistic with wounding shot.

Hm, iirc wounding shot's DoT is NOT increased by MIG and is truly fixed at 100% of weapon damage (also high INT doesn't increase the overall dmg but just stretches it out). On the other hand the Wounding enchantment on weapons will indeed scale with MIG and thus this DoT will proft twice frm MIG. Wouding Shot does not (but again, mayne memory fails me). But if you take Tidefall as your Great Sword then it shouldn't matter since you will have two sources of wounding and at least one of them will profit twice. ;)

By the way: wounding weapons like Tidefall, Drawn in Spring, Persistence and Acuan Giamas are ideal for unlocking Predator's Sense. I even made a melee Ranger build that uses this synergy as one of its cornerstones:

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks for the reply Boeroer!

So as to my questions 1 and 3 i did a quick test right now, under the following imgur you'll find a screenshot with it https://imgur.com/a/pdCxrZM (btw i hope an imgur link this is acceptable? the screen was too large for attaching to a post and this was faster for me than resizing, sorry about that).

As you can see wounding shoting a naked calista with a basic greatsword bought at the beginning of the game resulted here in (1 graze, 2 hit), which from my understanding means 3 rolls? Unless this simply means the first roll grazed and the second was a hit, which now that i think of it is probably what it is. Is that correct?

On the other hand if I do believe you might be incorrect about might and wounding shot. Here as you can see the hit was for 22.6 damage, but the wounding shot DoT claims it will apply 30 damage to Calista. Now the test character is an Aumaua with 21 might, so this would line up perfectly with the bonus might damage, and seems to be the obvious explanation for this (it also lines up with values i'm getting from my actual ranger playthrough right now).

quick edit: Just to be sure i also tried wounding shotting Calista with a character with 5 might and the wounding damage also lines up, i.e. it is almost exactly the 15% lower you would expect it to be.

As to how accurate wounding shot works it's not so clear to me now. Is there an easy way to test it? It seems that the log doesnt provide detailed info when the attack results in multiple rolls (just the somewhat confusing "1 hit 2 graze" type of message), so it's hard for me to test and be sure.

Edited by pmmeyourbuilds

I just fired up Pillars and loaded an old save. The wounding is executed as an auto-hit and thus displayed in the combat log as additional "hit" - but it doesn't do an actual roll:
wounding_shot_3_hits.png?dl=1

You can click on the combat log entry in order to let it unfold, showing the separate entries for the rolls. And if you then hover over those lines with the mouse it will also show you the actual dice rolls vs. defense etc. If you hover over the wounding "roll" it only shows the raw dmg and no actual roll vs. defense. It still gets labeled a hit for whatever reason (auto-hit). 

This UI "trick" may also help you with other questions you might have (like does MIG really influence Wounding Shot's damage twice etc. and which roll of Accurate Wounding Shot does get the +10 ACC).

Your observations with MIG sound soild, so I may have been wrong. :) One more reason to grab a wounding weapon, too. ;) 
Edit: set Sagani's MIG to 100 with the console commands and did 32 pierce dmg but over 100 raw dmg with the DoT - so you were absolutely right about this. 

Edited by Boeroer

Oh yeah i absolutely plan on using tidefall 😛 I'm actually trying the ultimate with an idiot ranger built specifically to abuse the hell out of tidefall and wounding shot.

Wow it never occurred to me you can just click to unfold all the rolls. Thanks, i'll test accurate wounding shot soon and post it here.

• Like 1

Yeah, too bad Wounding Shot is only 2/encounter. In later fights there are so many enemies that 2/encounter isn't really doing much. But in the early game (which is suprisingly hard compared to the middle part) it's a big help.

2 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Afaik it's the other way round: your physical attack vs. deflection gtets +10 ACC but not the hobbling roll against fortitude. But maybe I'm wrong here. My last PoE game lies years in the past and although I put a ton of hours into it, some details start to fade... Anyway: yes, it's not implemented all the way through - which is an oversight that never got fixed unfortunately. Priest's Intderdiction/Painful Interdiction/Powerful Interdiction has the same problem.

Ok i just respecced into accurate wounding shot and checked the log: sadly it is like i said in the OP, the talent only applies to the hobble part.

In my case my accuracy was 79, both rolls got the +7 bonus from my level up to 86, but the hobble roll was 96 while the attack roll remained 86. Makes the talent pretty bad unfortunately, unlikely that +10 on a hobble roll is worth it for any kind of build tbh. Oh well.