I am diving into PoE 2 (PotD) for the first time and am trying to come up with a build for my MC.

Question:

Is a Shieldbearer/Unbroken multiclass with a one-hander and a bashing shield an effective enough character for PotD, or am I overlooking some kind of problem?

This concept would rely on

- getting full attacks from FoD and Mob Stance using both shield and weapon,

- the character killing enemies quickly enough for Mob Stance to trigger often and/or

- the enemy breaking engagement often enough so that I can punish them with disengagement attacks with Unbroken and Overbearing Guard.

Will that work well enough on PotD?

Background:

My thought was basically:

1. Play a Paladin because I can make use of the Disposition, unlike Pallegina.

2. Since I am a goody two-shoes, Shieldbearer or Kind Wayfarer.

If I play a Shieldbearer, I am going to end up with a shield and 3 enemies engaged.

So why not multiclass the guy to Shieldbearer/Unbroken and make use of mob stance (and a 4th engagement)? Thing is, both Mob Stance and Flames of Devotion are full attacks, so I am severely hampered by using a shield. Not so if I pick up a bashing shield though. Weapon and Shield Style and Faith and Conviction will also cover up the Reflex loss from Unbroken.

On second thought: all the skills required for the build come from Fighter (Mob Stance, Unbroken, Overbearing Guard). I went into this coming from the Paladin angle and so didn't think about alternatives there. But after sifting through the other candidates, I get the impression that Unbroken is better paired with other classes.

Barbarian can add some good damage buffs too and Carnage will probably work wonders on enemies glued to this character via engagements. Not sure what happens when you have Blood Thirst and Mob Stance - I doubt I get two recoveries out of this. So I could probably pick up Defender Stance instead, skip recovery with Blood Thirst and get my speed buffs from Bloodlust. Maybe terrify enemies with Spirit Tornado to break engagement, and smash through enemies with Barbaric Smash.

Trickster and Streetfighter have been talked about a lot and the damage bonuses probably outweigh all the Paladin side would have to offer. Trickster also beats the Faith and Conviction's Deflection and Reflex bonus and may persuade enemies to break engagement via Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage.

Edited by Alan Sylver

Unbroken/Shieldbearer is def. effective enough for PotD.

Whether it's fun to play for you or not I cannot say.

Crusaders (Fighter/Paladin) are sturdy and do ok weapon damage. They can hold the line/tank very well and ger a hell lot of resistances. They are not very flashy though. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

How would I stat and skill such a character? I figure:

Might: high (need to kill enemies)

Constitution: middling to low (hp, but will have very high defenses)

Dexterity: middling to low (need to kill enemies, but disengagement und Mob Stance attacks circumvent recovery)

Perception: max (need to hit in order to kill)

Intelligence: middling (effect duration of Vigorous Defense/Disciplined Barrage and Paladin buffs)

Resolve: max (deflection)

Skills: I have no friggin' clue. Insight and Athletics, because these are tested most on the main character?

I might switch over to Barbarian/Unbroken or Trickster/Unbroken, but I guess a lot of the above stuff remains the same.