Hej community!
I'm totally new so please forgive me if I did anything wrong 😅
I could not find an answer to this via google.

If I use Barbaric Blow with Serafen (pure barbarian)  I do not deal damage in an area.

If I attack with a weapon attack I do deal damage in an area. 

I am using the "Spine of Thicket Green", a two-handed quarterstaff.

Why does Barbaric blow not do Carnage damage in an area?

• Like 1

@Yell0wCheck out this picture, specifically the combat log in the lower right:
BarbBlowCarnage.png?dl=1

I did three attacks there: one standard attack and two Barbaric Blows. As you can see in the combat log:

---

1. the first attack hit the initial target for 44 dmg and the two other enemies got a hit and a graze from Carnage (I would need to hover over the hit and graze with the mouse in order to see how much damage Carnage did).

2. the second attack - Barbaric Blow - did miss. This also means that Carnage will not get triggered! If you miss your initial target there will be no Carnage.

3. the third attack - again Barbaric Blow - was a hit again for 46 dmg, which also triggered Carnage hit rolls against both bystanders, but one of them missed. Carnage makes hit rolls against alle enemies in range. Those hit rolls can miss, too. Carnage has lower accuracy than your initial attack so it's not uncommon to miss with it a lot in the early game.

---

So I presume you just had bad luck with your Barbaric Blow rolls and either you missed the Blow entirely or the Carnage rolls did miss.

Check the combat log to determine if Carnage rolls were made and what the outcome was. If you hit with Barbaric Blow but no Carnage rolls are made - although there are enemies in reach - then you have encountered a bug. It's unlikely though because I never heard about such a bug. But never say never... ;) 

Carnage only works with melee weapons - but the quarterstaff should be fine. 
Carnage originates from the initial target, not your character. 

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods