Hello,

Sorry if im posting this in the wrong place but is my first time in this forum.

I have a problem with the beast of winter quest. Right at the start after meeting Vatnir, i head outside to encounter The Messenger for the first time and the fight starts but at some point the dragon just die for no reason and the quest keeps telling me to go outside and see whats happening and npcs remain as they were when it showed up, before the start of the fight. Ive see in some walkthroughs that Vatnir is supposed to disappear but again, nothing of that is triggering

Ive tried to load and do it again but didnt work. Any ideas ?

btw, im playing on series x

thanks

what's supposed to happen:

1. you defeat ner

2. you go inside and find vatnir

3. come back out, ner gets back up and then sucked into the vytmadh

how does "the dragon just die?" any idea? i wonder if some mechanism that is thoroughly killing ner is breaking some trigger.

Edited by thelee

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, UraniumSlug said:

I've had the same issue, on console for what it's worth. Once you kill the dragon, the quest doesn't proceed.

Did you go back to find Vatnir in his secret chamber?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Oh, weird... that is something I never experienced. Is the combat mode over though? If so that sounds like a veritable bug. I wonder what might trigger it.

I did that fight so many times... there has to be one sort of behavior or prerequisite that breaks the quest that I didn't use (much) or have. 

Did you by any chance use some sort of destroy effect - for example Disintegration, Marux Amanth, Saru Sichr's Death Sentence (Neriscyrlas should be immune to that though), Amra's Riven Gore, Death Ring or something like that?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2023 at 11:46 AM, Boeroer said:

Oh, weird... that is something I never experienced. Is the combat mode over though? If so that sounds like a veritable bug. I wonder what might trigger it.

I did that fight so many times... there has to be one sort of behavior or prerequisite that breaks the quest that I didn't use (much) or have. 

Did you by any chance use some sort of destroy effect - for example Disintegration, Marux Amanth, Saru Sichr's Death Sentence (Neriscyrlas should be immune to that though), Amra's Riven Gore, Death Ring or something like that?

I use Disintegration and similar abilities with my Cypher pretty often! I have a solution after talking to Obsidian Support and Reddit which I will post here as a followup comment. Goodbye achievements :(.

I have a solution, unfortunately, two separate console commands are required.

SetGlobalValue LAX2_n_cpq_01_stage X

0 = quest not started,
1 = received letter,
2 = read letter,
3 = greeted at gate,
4 = sermon interrupted,
5 = dracolich killed,
6 = spoke to cult leader

Choose 5. The town will act as if the dragon is dead. You can progress the quest by talking to Vatnir, but you cannot climb the glacier once you go outside. I'm guessing the cinematic triggers this part of the map. To get past this you'll need to do the following to teleport yourself to the relevant area:

AreaTransition 0b404000-d119-4a60-8924-408f123cbc39 0 0

• 10 months later...

As far as I can tell this isn't a bug on PC, however it can be seemingly replicated using the "Kill" cheat command on the Messenger so thelee's theory that the Dracolich dying too quickly seems the most likely explanation for the bug. When that happens one or more of the Luminous Revenants that should emerge when the Dracolich reaches a certain hp threshold will fail to trigger. Which is seemingly what the game is waiting for before moving onto the next state.

Assuming it is the last final Luminous Revenant that is set to spawn at 25% HP you can trigger in the town square using the following console command (IRoll20s required) then kill it:

EmergeStart 3a922618-1aa9-4c60-b8ae-a0f9b92e9eb6

However it's probably simpler to just trigger the next steps of the quest and cutscene that plays after with the following command (IRoll20s required) while in the town square:

SetGlobalValue LAX2_n_Dracolich_Attack_Stage 2 & StartCutscene Cutscene_Dracolich_PostAttack
  • Like 1