Looking over chanter abilities, I'm having trouble interpreting how long chant effects are supposed to last. Based on the in game documentation and the guides I've seen, my understanding is that each chant has a duration (6 sec for non-Troubadors) and a linger time (3 sec+modifiers) and that its effect persists over the length of the duration plus the linger.

Looking at individual chants, though, I see that many have an additional length stated in their description. For instance, Ancient Memory has the usual 6 sec duration and 3 sec linger, but its effect is described as 1 health restored per 1 sec  for 10 sec. If the chant and its effect last for the duration+linger, what do the 10 seconds listed in the effect mean? Conversely, if the effect does last for 10 seconds, what's the point of the linger? 

26 minutes ago, Amrunril said:

Looking over chanter abilities, I'm having trouble interpreting how long chant effects are supposed to last. Based on the in game documentation and the guides I've seen, my understanding is that each chant has a duration (6 sec for non-Troubadors) and a linger time (3 sec+modifiers) and that its effect persists over the length of the duration plus the linger.

Looking at individual chants, though, I see that many have an additional length stated in their description. For instance, Ancient Memory has the usual 6 sec duration and 3 sec linger, but its effect is described as 1 health restored per 1 sec  for 10 sec. If the chant and its effect last for the duration+linger, what do the 10 seconds listed in the effect mean? Conversely, if the effect does last for 10 seconds, what's the point of the linger? 

What you're seeing is an artifact of how the abilities are implemented (mostly) and it's being manifested in a confusing way because those tooltips are auto-generated. All chants have a "default" duration of 10s, but that duration is irrelevant; it gets overridden by the chant/linger mechanics, and you instead get the duration that you're supposed to get equal to chant + linger (with more or less, if you are troubadour with brisk recitation off/on).

I say mostly because there's an error in your favor with the skeleton summoning chant - the summoned skeletons have the same default 10s duration, but there the chant/linger mechanics do not override the duration, so you can get very long-lived skeletons with high intellect and with a trouabdour you can enable brisk recitation with no downside - you just double the skeletons you generate.

• Thanks 1