Vanishing Strike absolute invisibility can be repeatedly extended with Strand of Favor, leading to permanent invulnerability.

Hi everyone,

EDIT: As @Raven Darkholme pointed out, @Waski discovered this trick some time ago for an Ultimate run. I still think it deserves a separate thread for how ridiculously powerful it is!

In case you like to try out and understand the many cheesy mechanics that can be created in Deadfire, well in my humble opinion this is the apex of non-pasteurized cheese. This is the most runny, methuselah Camembert mixed with an elder Roquefort that can melt steel beams (...) and topped with a Munster that would resurrect all of Engwith just with its smell. In comparison, "cannot-die" effects in Deadfire are like string cheese, or Babybel.

In short, we all know that normal Vanishing Strike gives you brief but absolute invisibility. It doesn't break if you hit, kill an enemy or do anything else. It just goes on until the duration is up, making you untargetable by anyone and therefore granting you total invulnerability. As such, of course any attack made under Vanishing Strike automatically qualifies for Assassinate, Sneak Attack and Backstab bonuses. Now it is well-known thanks to many contributors on this forum that the "increase beneficial effect duration" effect of Strand of Favor or Cabalist's Gambeson can be cheesed to increase certain status effects' duration forever by equipping/unequipping the item repeatedly. Well friends, it also works with Vanishing Strike....

As far as absolute cheeze, I think this puts SC Assassin far beyond any other class in a non-Ultimate run. I was planning to detail the full build concept (for IE games aficionados, I have called this toon Arkanis Gath :)) by also including the most powerful Deltro's Cage Helm lash possible and a permanent Brilliant inspiration through Wit of Death Herald with the right choices in the 3 God discussions. Thus creating an invulnerable, one-shotting toon that regenerates resources until the end of Eora as we know it.

But to be honest it all starts and ends with permanent Vanishing Strike... nothing else can really compare. Absolute, unbreakable, permanent invisibility that makes you untargetable by anything and anyone, and also gives you permanent Sneak Attack, Assassinate and Backstab. That's it! Of course this also makes the game incredibly boring on the long run because there won't be any challenge whatsoever, apart maybe from getting the right items/scrolls and abilities to destroy Hauani O Whe before it merges again and again and again. But it is definitely doable and probably quite easily with Arcana.

I haven't tested every situation in a full playthrough but as far as I've seen all the scripted interactions will still happen without problem.

HOW IT WORKS:

• Create an SC Assassin. Nothing in your choices really matters :).
  • Do whatever to get to level 19.
  • Get the Strand of Favor or Cabalist Gambeson item(s).
  • Hit something with Vanishing Strike outside of combat (a totem or a barrel will do).
  • Equip/Unequip the aforementioned item(s) to increase duration at will, unlimitedly.
  • Enjoy complete and permanent invulnerability.

Of note, it also makes you untargetable by allies/own attacks so plan carefully if you want to target yourself with Chain Lightning or the Essence Interrupter for a permanent and unnecessary Deltro's Lash.

Thanks for reading, and here's to hoping that it cures me from wanting to use all the cheese in the Deadfire!

Edited by Not So Clever Hound

4 hours ago, Not So Clever Hound said:

Hi everyone,

First of all, if this is common knowledge and I'm just very late to the party, please be nice and ignore me :). I'd be glad to know though. I haven't found anything about it so far on this forum or anywhere else.

In case you like to try out and understand the many cheesy mechanics that can be created in Deadfire, well in my humble opinion this is the apex of non-pasteurized cheese. This is the most runny, methuselah Camembert mixed with an elder Roquefort that can melt steel beams (...) and topped with a Munster that would resurrect all of Engwith just with its smell. In comparison, "cannot-die" effects in Deadfire are like string cheese, or Babybel.

In short, we all know that normal Vanishing Strike gives you brief but absolute invisibility. It doesn't break if you hit, kill an enemy or do anything else. It just goes on until the duration is up, making you untargetable by anyone and therefore granting you total invulnerability. As such, of course any attack made under Vanishing Strike automatically qualifies for Assassinate, Sneak Attack and Backstab bonuses. Now it is well-known thanks to @Raven Darkholme and many other contributors on this forum that the "increase beneficial effect duration" effect of Strand of Favor or Cabalist's Gambeson can be cheesed to increase certain status effects' duration forever by equipping/unequipping the item repeatedly. Well friends, it also works with Vanishing Strike....

As far as absolute cheeze, I think this puts SC Assassin far beyond any other class in a non-Ultimate run. I was planning to detail the full build concept (for IE games aficionados, I have called this toon Arkanis Gath :)) by also including the most powerful Deltro's Cage Helm lash possible and a permanent Brilliant inspiration through Wit of Death Herald with the right choices in the 3 God discussions. Thus creating an invulnerable, one-shotting toon that regenerates resources until the end of Eora as we know it.

But to be honest it all starts and ends with permanent Vanishing Strike... nothing else can really compare. Absolute, unbreakable, permanent invisibility that makes you untargetable by anything and anyone, and also gives you permanent Sneak Attack, Assassinate and Backstab. That's it! Of course this also makes the game incredibly boring on the long run because there won't be any challenge whatsoever, apart maybe from getting the right items/scrolls and abilities to destroy Hauani O Whe before it merges again and again and again. But it is definitely doable and probably quite easily with Arcana.

I haven't tested every situation in a full playthrough but as far as I've seen all the scripted interactions will still happen without problem.

HOW IT WORKS:

• Create an SC Assassin. Nothing in your choices really matters :).
  • Do whatever to get to level 19.
  • Get the Strand of Favor or Cabalist Gambeson item(s).
  • Hit something with Vanishing Strike outside of combat (a totem or a barrel will do).
  • Equip/Unequip the aforementioned item(s) to increase duration at will, unlimitedly.
  • Enjoy complete and permanent invulnerability.

Of note, it also makes you untargetable by allies/own attacks so plan carefully if you want to target yourself with Chain Lightning or the Essence Interrupter for a permanent and unnecessary Deltro's Lash.

Thanks for reading, and here's to hoping that it cures me from wanting to use all the cheese in the Deadfire!

@Waski already made an Ultimate run with this, it was also him who found the Strand of Favor abuse, not me. ;)

• Thanks 1

it was not only me who found about strand of favor cheese, i saw one other player doing it on twitch before i finished and post  the run and chat with other one who was  trying to do ultimate with assassin with that trick but was behind me in terms of progres( i was almost done if i remember correctly)

• Like 1

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg