I’ve decided to run a custom party for my latest potd play through. I never tried the new subclasses, so my main will be a  melee trickster rogue +tactician fighter.

To join him on his adventure, I’m bringing 

• Tank / healer - troubadour chanter + shield paladin 
  • 2nd melee dps- barbarian + monk (not sure on subclasses for either)
  • ranged dps / healer / debuffer - kind wayfairer paladin + beguiler 

Between the Herald and my second paladin, I feel like I have more than enough healing to keep the team going. The cipher/paladin should help me trigger brilliance with my tactician/rogue. And between my main, my ranged paladin/cipher, and the monk/barb, feel like I should have plenty of dps. 

So my main issue is that I have no clue who to select  for my fifth team member. I feel like if I take on more DPS or more healing or even more Debuffing, I’ll make the game too easy. I am probably being very naïve and I don’t remember how hard the game used to be. Any suggestions from people on how to fill out the remainder of my team? Thanks. 

I usually like to have a priest and/or druid in my party, for extra healing, utility and some CC. You could have both for your fifth team member, using a build such as thelee's "Keeper" universalist multiclass. A fifth member like this will definitely make the early game easier; if you find the game too easy, you can always drop him/her from your roster.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that you need a priest or druid in the party, as mentioned above. Tekehu has some great spells, but he cannot cast fire spells, so make sure you have someone who can do that.

I generally dont have more than 2-3 melee classes; otherwise, you end up getting in each other's way in the front lines. You could use this approach for class roles:

1. tank (take the brunt of mob's attacks, herald is nice here for the versatility of tank/CC/healing/summons, but any tank is good)

2.  2nd tank (someone to flank the tanks targets, off tank to protect back line casters/dps)

3. flanker/disruptor) (most fights will have casters and ranged in the back, so you really want to focus on dealing with these; otherwise, the tank mobs get super buffed and healed) rogue, monk, etc. are great here. Personally I like to use Eder Swashbuckler to do this). Or, you can use Maia here for ranged AOE dps (mortars, or frostseeker) 

4. Druid: Healer/CC/DPS. I really like Tekehu here. I have trouble deciding on these last two slows usually. 

5. Cipher multiclass /ranged DPS / priest - your choice here. If you have a herald and a druid, you will be fine for heals. Priest has some amazing buffs (devotions of the faithful) is a great accuracy buff). Cipher (mindstalker) is good here too. 

I agree that you need a priest or druid in the party, as mentioned above. Tekehu has some great spells, but he cannot cast fire spells, so make sure you have someone who can do that.

Edited by mjo2138
double posted