Clay Foundation Xbox

Love the game and don't mind the grind to build a base. But... When I spend 45 minutes gathering clay, and haul it half way across the map to build a building, only to have half the foundation eaten by larvae in about 20 seconds the first night. Than go back for more clay in the morning repair / replace it only to have more larvae show up to destroy it again. I am unable to even get to the walls.

I think the term foundation should be more durable and less crumbly to a few larve. Walls on the ground seem less vulnerable than a clay block foundation.

I look forward to playing more preview, and your final product.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2020 at 2:38 AM, BushKillFalls said:

Love the game and don't mind the grind to build a base. But... When I spend 45 minutes gathering clay, and haul it half way across the map to build a building, only to have half the foundation eaten by larvae in about 20 seconds the first night. Than go back for more clay in the morning repair / replace it only to have more larvae show up to destroy it again. I am unable to even get to the walls.

I think the term foundation should be more durable and less crumbly to a few larve. Walls on the ground seem less vulnerable than a clay block foundation.

I look forward to playing more preview, and your final product.

I agree. They should be a lot more durable considering the thickness. Peblet or Clay / Peblet foundations andwalls would be a nice addition as well.

@BushKillFalls I know this may not be super helpful because it sounds like you're already building your base up, but if you're having this much trouble with bugs I'd suggest building your foundation off the ground. Make your "foundation" a bunch of stem scaffolding with a single staircase entry (even better if your stairs are just slightly off the ground). Then build your "real" base on top of the scaffolding. I think you can put a grass floor on top of scaffolding and then clay on top of the grass, but I haven't experimented with clay much, so don't quote me on that.

Secondly, I don't think the larvae are attacking your foundation specifically. I suspect you have food stored in a chest nearby. Do you have any food on or near ground level? Even spoiled food. I'm pretty sure all bugs are attracted to food. I had this issue with lawn mites attacking my base from underneath as soon as I would cook food; had to move my kitchen upstairs and viola, no more attacks.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 10:06 AM, Sylvia Rose said:

@BushKillFalls I know this may not be super helpful because it sounds like you're already building your base up, but if you're having this much trouble with bugs I'd suggest building your foundation off the ground. Make your "foundation" a bunch of stem scaffolding with a single staircase entry (even better if your stairs are just slightly off the ground). Then build your "real" base on top of the scaffolding. I think you can put a grass floor on top of scaffolding and then clay on top of the grass, but I haven't experimented with clay much, so don't quote me on that.

Secondly, I don't think the larvae are attacking your foundation specifically. I suspect you have food stored in a chest nearby. Do you have any food on or near ground level? Even spoiled food. I'm pretty sure all bugs are attracted to food. I had this issue with lawn mites attacking my base from underneath as soon as I would cook food; had to move my kitchen upstairs and viola, no more attacks.

I had not gotten to the point of placing chests or campfires yet. So food wasn't a factor. However they did have a issue apparently with larvae spawning too much. That may have lead to an abundance in the area of them.

But wether the lore behind the building blocks are that they are baked or just packed clay shouldn't change the accepted norms in the real world that wood foundations are weaker than masonry foundations. You also shouldn't have to build a foundation and floor in order to place a second foundation. At that point they should just make a clay floor to be put on the stick foundation.