Are skill points per level hard coded or something? I'd expect to find mods that give you more skill points per level but all I can find are overly cheaty ones that max you out right from the get go.  All I want is like 2 or 3 points more a level and only for the main character.  

Also if anyone knows how to just edit a file to get what I want or there's a thread that tells you how to do that I'd be happy to try to do it myself. 

I did a quick search in the modding subforum and found this statement from @BMac:

I looked at the code and the way it's structured will unfortunately make it difficult to grant different numbers of skill points on level up.  It would be nice to change this, but I don't think it will be a priority for the next patch.

So it seems what you are looking for doesn't exist unfortunately. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The Unity Console allows you to edit skill points at any time, so if you have self-control you could just manually add points every time you level up. Of course, you can also do a ton of other things (many overtly OP) with the Unity Console, and that freedom/temptation might not be what you're looking for.

Thanks.. I did a bunch of googling myself and found nothing much.   Kind of disappoint. I understand the theory behind why they did it.. but it really takes away some of the roll playing aspects. Like if I want to make my main a rogue then I also want to take all the rogue-y skills and I want to be good at those skills so I feel like a good thief. .. not a mediocre thief who has to rely on their friends. "Bert, can you go pick-pocket that guy?.. I know you are a massive burly barbarian with no stealth but you're the one with pick pocket skill because I'm a too dumb and can't fit all that knowledge in my head.. so go get 'em!" 

Edited by vyvexthorne

Yeah, I'm with you on that, it's a problem I see in a lot of RPGs - skills are typically a little too spread out, so e.g. nasty deeds will involve Sneaking, Pickpocketing, and Lockpicking all as separate skills that need investment, with too few resources to properly do all at once, when a proper (and realistic) thief would ideally be able to do all three. It's not just thieving with this issue - for example, a talker might realistically be proficient in Diplomacy, Bluff, Insight, and Intimidate, but it's impossible to actually do all of them in game, making it really difficult to roleplay a smooth talker.

The character system in PoE is heavily focused on Combat. Sacrifying Combat for skills is not possible for this reason.

PoE2 heavily favors concentrating on a few skills, contrary to PoE1, and items with bonus related to (potentially maxed) skills makes it even worse.

Still, as a team of 5, you'll get enough points to cover most options, so I didn't really feel missng skill points in my runs, but it is neither a build choice nor feeling much RP.

I don't remember a single game with a convincing skill system (indeed dispersion is a problem), nor I remember a game with a good balance between Combat and Out-of-Combat skills (well PoEs are sort of balanced, but the skill system is underdevelopped). I also don't remember a game who made ou-of-combat skills interesting (Skyrim Lockpicking is what I mean for a not-too-bad implementation for an individual skill).

Skills always tend to be the poor part of CRPG developpment. I guess most players (including myself) concentrae on combat, but still. 

Edited by Elric Galad