The Game refuses to run in borderless windowed mode on my primary monitor, and becomes unresponsive in fullscreen mode.

I have a 4 monitor set-up with a big primary monitor in the middle (designated as the primary monitor in Nvidia and Windows control panels) with two smaller monitors on either side, and a tiny monitor on the side running rainmeter system monitor stuff. I of course want to play Outer Worlds on my big primary monitor, but no matter what I do it insists on opening on my left hand monitor every time.  

I have tried changing to windowed mode and dragging the window onto my primary monitor, fullscreening it, making it tiny, pinning it to the right side of the monitor, etc, but as soon as I hit F11/alt+enter or switch to fullscreen/ borderless windowed in the settings it instantly snaps back to the left hand monitor. Doing this and moving it to my right hand monitor does work, it seems to only hate my primary monitor.   

I have tried disabling all other monitors so that my primary monitor is the only place it can run. (with any one other monitor still connected it would insist on starting on that one over my primary) This technically works but disabling and reenabling my monitors takes a good 10+ minutes everytime since windows/nvidia doesn't remember any of my position or resolution settings. I started a quit the game twice in this state hoping that it would "remember" being borderless windowed on my primary monitor, but course as soon as I reenabled the other monitors Outer Worlds went right back to clinging to the left-hand monitor.  

I have tried running the game in fullscreen, and I can get it to stay on my primary monitor that way, but it doesn't confine my mouse movement to the game and any momentary loss of window focus, like clicking outside the game, or even just loading into the opening cinematic causes my left hand screen to glitch out, and the game to become totally unresponsive to mouse clicks, even if I restart the game. In these cases I have had to plug in an xbox controller just to get back into the settings menu and turn it back to windowed.  

I have updated my nvidia drivers and rebooted my computer many times throughout this process.

I feel like I am losing my mind, I've been trying for hours now and everything I try just causes it to snap back to the left hand monitor. Any advice would be appreciated since as it is it seems like I'm going to have play the game in bordered windowed mode, with significantly reduced performance and my cursor slipping off the side every 10 seconds. There must be a better way but I've never seen a program that not only prefers running on a secondary monitor, but also so stubbornly refuses to run on the primary one.

Edited by neiromaru

Anyone?  

I spent another hour at it today. I tried using Display Fusion to force the game onto my primary monitor in several different ways, but the best I got was a 1080p borderless window taking up a third of my 4k primary monitor.  

Also I've played around a bit more with the unresponsive fullscreen mode. It seems that despite showing up normally on my primary monitor, the game window is actually left justified against the left side of my left monitor, and was just extending onto my primary monitor, so by moving my mouse a few inches to the left of what I'm trying to click on, it technically works, but not well enough to actually 'play' the game.

I only have experience gaming with a two monitor setup, but Windows used to remember monitor setup and position. Just connecting the HDMI used to allow me to direct the output to the monitor I wanted immediately.

How do you have all those monitors connected? How many graphics cards do you have with how many outputs? I assume the big main one is connected through Displayport?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

8 hours ago, Pidesco said:

I only have experience gaming with a two monitor setup, but Windows used to remember monitor setup and position. Just connecting the HDMI used to allow me to direct the output to the monitor I wanted immediately.

How do you have all those monitors connected? How many graphics cards do you have with how many outputs? I assume the big main one is connected through Displayport?

I have two graphics cards, and my primary monitor is connected by HDMI to the primary one, the other three monitors are connected to the second card.  

I have played plenty of other games, including UE4 games, on this set-up without any problems.

5 hours ago, TheDON3k said:

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid that hasn't changed anything.

Hello, neiromaru.

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with your multiple monitors. We have our development team looking into it and hope to have a fix for it shortly. Please send an e-mail to our publisher, Private Division at support@privatedivision.com. This will get your issue into their queue and allow us to prioritize requests to ensure the fastest possible turn around time. We apologize for any inconvenience.

--Doug.

On 10/28/2019 at 5:57 PM, neiromaru said:

I have two graphics cards, and my primary monitor is connected by HDMI to the primary one, the other three monitors are connected to the second card.  

I have played plenty of other games, including UE4 games, on this set-up without any problems.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid that hasn't changed anything.

The Primary Monitor you want to play on, is it connected to GPU0 (The first GPU, according to Windows) ? I'm wondering if the game just always starts on GPU0 when you have multiple cards. If not, perhaps changing around your connections so that it will be on GPU0 is a simple solution.