The Maia in my game seems to be bugged. She won't talk to me and only responds with a glare. I can't start her quest, but aside from when she joined at the palace, haven't talked to her at all.

I killed both the Bardettos and Valeros, but during negotiation when they jumped me. Other than that, I haven't done anything that I think could piss her off. I haven't joined any of the factions yet, and I didn't sacrifice Kana. I did sneak into the Powderhouse and did blow up a few barrels, but they didn't notice me. I blew them up cause it doesn't count as a kill if you do - I suspect this is what may have started the bug.

Been tryin to use Unity Console to fix whatever variables are messed up, with no success.

Did you blow up the entire Powderhouse? 

I think Maia is scripted to either leave or stay if you have a +2 reputation (possibly need romance, no idea), but since there was no quest, then yeah, that's probably what did it. 

Variables that are tied to Maia are (to the best if my knowledge):

RDC reputation

Huana reputation 

Her personal reputation with you, ie your options during her dialogue and whether or not your 'follow' what she likes 

Her quest, The Courier's Calling or something like that

Romance 

Whether or not you sacrificed Kana and Kana's outcome in POE1

17 hours ago, wingedchocolatecake said:

Did you blow up the entire Powderhouse? 

I think Maia is scripted to either leave or stay if you have a +2 reputation (possibly need romance, no idea), but since there was no quest, then yeah, that's probably what did it. 

Variables that are tied to Maia are (to the best if my knowledge):

RDC reputation

Huana reputation 

Her personal reputation with you, ie your options during her dialogue and whether or not your 'follow' what she likes 

Her quest, The Courier's Calling or something like that

Romance 

Whether or not you sacrificed Kana and Kana's outcome in POE1

No, I didn't blow up the Powderhouse. I just blew up a few barrels when I was sneaking around to kill guards. The guard outside goes hostile for some reason if I get too close, even though they never seen me. I seen in the global variable bundle that there are a couple variables that control the powderhouse state, but resetting them to 0 doesn't seem to do anything. Bear in mind, I did this before I even got her as a companion.

My watcher has +2 reputation with her.
I have high RDC rep and fair Huana rep.
Never been able to talk with her.
Didn't sacrifice Kana, haven't been able to romance her because I can't talk to her.

She still chimes in and talks to NPCs, but she just continually glares at me whenever I try to initiate dialogue.

Edited by spardeous

On 8/29/2019 at 3:15 PM, wingedchocolatecake said:

Yeah, then it's probably a bug. You aren't actually supposed to go to the powderhouse until near-endgame

Best of luck

After tinking around with it for about 2 hours(and learning a great deal about Deadfire's scripting engine), I figured it out. Yea, it is a bug. For anyone wondering:

The n_FQ_VTC07_firemaker_escaped global variable is set whenever a firemaker in the powderhouse dies.

So, in my game, I snuck into the powderhouse before Maia had even joined, and killed some of them by blowing up barrels. Wasn't spotted, and none of guards went hostile. Wasn't even on the quest, was just exploring. They didn't technically die by my hand, either, since they were killed by the barrel explosions - no rep loss or anything like that.

The bug is that Maia reacts to these variables, regardless of when they were set. In this case, she somehow read my character's mind that he had been in the powderhouse prior to her joining the party.

If you happen to have this happen in your game, try resetting n_FQ_VTC07_firemaker_escaped variable back to 5. Should fix it.

Edited by spardeous
  • Like 2