Hi all, I am looking for some suggestions.

I finally made it to level five with my party consisting of a fighter, 2 wizards, a priest, and a barbarian. I am not enjoying my class choices of priest and barbarian. I am uncertain if it is my play-style or build. I used some of the guides in this forum to help me build them.  There have been many times where I wish I had a ranger to do consistent melee damage but need 2 front-liners to make my group work. I am considering restarting and switching out my under performing classes.

What do the veteran player think about my party composition? I don't like the cipher so that is not an option for me.

Edited by Naughtydread

23 minutes ago, Naughtydread said:

Hi all, I am looking for some suggestions.

I finally made it to level five with my party consisting of a fighter, 2 wizards, a priest, and a barbarian. I am not enjoying my class choices of priest and barbarian. I am uncertain if it is my play-style or build. I used some of the guides in this forum to help me build them.  There have been many times where I wish I had a ranger to do consistent melee damage but need 2 front-liners to make my group work. I am considering restarting and switching out my under performing classes.

What do the veteran player think about my party composition? I don't like the cipher so that is not an option for me.

Single Class Priest are weak in the early game due to meh Tier II spells, but they eventually becomes good AoE damage dealers. 

SIngle Class Barbarian started to pay off when I got Spirit Tornado and ultimately shined with Driving Roar.

Single Class Wizard are good too, but overall your party relies quite a lot on on spells, and you don't have that much resssources in the early game.

Single Class Fighters are good early game, but you have to know what you're doing at higher level to optimize it. High level single class fighters are mostly about abusing weapon effects with upgraded Clear Out AoE.

Your party seems a bit weak on early level, but all classes except maybe fighter are considered very good in the late game.

What you will miss the most is constant regeneration from Paladin, Druid or Chanter. Priest are okay healer but not very good at that. You don't have many party buff, but your priest can do it by itself. You don't have Multiclassed characters, which makes it more difficult to have characters for each role and a bit of redundancy.

What difficulty do you play ?

Just now, Naughtydread said:

Thanks for the response. I have been playing veteran.

Then it is hard to tell whether you'll have troubles later on.

As I said, the relative weakness of Priest and maybe Barbarian may explain why you have trouble now. But this will change.

I'm a bit more concerned about the lack of constant party healing

I suppose you have Serafen, Eder, Xoti, Aloth and youself as a wizard ?

OK, it's up to you whether you want to keep your party as it is and give it a try or not.

If you don't, a Multiclassed Chanter / Druid / Paladin (2 out of these 3) instead of one of your wizard would be my advice.

And feel free to replace Fighter with another class (or a Fighter Multiclass) if you're not satisfied by its late game. 

Party comp. is ok. But maybe your formation lacks frontliners. If the one SC Fighter catches a hard CC affliction or anything else that cancels his engagement - things will become chaotic. You can place the Barb and Priest (give him a shield and focus on buffing) behind the Fighter to prevent enemies from rushing the wizards.

Wait until you get Devotions for the Faithful. It's a very helpful priest spell.

As Elric said: both Barb and Priest start a little slow - but both have very good potential as single class characters. 

If your Priest can't provide enough healing then simply use potions I'd say. Unless you don't like that. Then switch a wizard for a druid who can do party healing, CC and deal damage.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On 6/26/2019 at 3:21 PM, Naughtydread said:

...my party consisting of a fighter, 2 wizards, a priest, and a barbarian. I am not enjoying my class choices of priest and barbarian. I am uncertain if it is my play-style or build. I used some of the guides in this forum to help me build them. 

Hi there... it appears you like single classes, so my recommendations will revolve around that requirement.  My single-class recommendation is:

1) Monk - this is arguably the most powerful single-class in the game.  It hits hard from the start, has incredible T8/T9 abilities, and some of the best passives in the game.  

2) Paladin - swap this instead of fighter, since it can tank just as well, buff, off-heal, and provide one of the best passive heals in the game.  Won't be flashy, but can stop oncoming traffic.

3) Wiz - make this a blood mage, since recycling abilities/spells are important for some megaboss strategies

4) Druid - great healer, great speedcaster (shifted), consistent damage, great synergy with stacking PL gear (Lord Darryn's and Deltro's) and access to one of the best T9 damage spells in the game (Maelstrom)

5) Priest - becoming a cheddar prerequisite for some megabosses (Salvation and Barring), but still can add some buffing (slow) and healing (ok), while laying down spells that are replicated by scrolls.  Access to T8/T9 powers are great ways to end standard battles in 10 seconds...  

I know you mentioned a dislike for Cipher, but as a single-class, it has some of the most powerful skills in the game, especially in a party... Ancestor's Memory and Defensive Web are borderline broken in parties.  Scratch that... broken if you build around this skills.  Cipher is a consistent contributor start to finish, especially if spamming Mind Blades, Whispers of Treason, and later Ringleader...  add in Disintegrate and Death from 1000 Cuts (boss killer), and you have a great contributor to any team setting.  I just played through on POTD Deadly Deadfire+ and without my CIpher, the megabosses would never have fallen... (side note of Salvation of Time, Barring Deaths, and Ancestors is crazy in group play).   If you have no interest in megabosses, I would dump the priest.  However, if you are completionist, I would chuck the Paladin for the Cipher (makes lower levels slightly more challenging, but in the end game, the Paladin offers nothing compared to the Cipher).

Hope this helps... and never be afraid to start over, you would be shocked how quickly you catch-up because you already know the game.

6 hours ago, heldred said:

Hi there... it appears you like single classes, so my recommendations will revolve around that requirement.  My single-class recommendation is:

1) Monk - this is arguably the most powerful single-class in the game.  It hits hard from the start, has incredible T8/T9 abilities, and some of the best passives in the game.  

2) Paladin - swap this instead of fighter, since it can tank just as well, buff, off-heal, and provide one of the best passive heals in the game.  Won't be flashy, but can stop oncoming traffic.

3) Wiz - make this a blood mage, since recycling abilities/spells are important for some megaboss strategies

4) Druid - great healer, great speedcaster (shifted), consistent damage, great synergy with stacking PL gear (Lord Darryn's and Deltro's) and access to one of the best T9 damage spells in the game (Maelstrom)

5) Priest - becoming a cheddar prerequisite for some megabosses (Salvation and Barring), but still can add some buffing (slow) and healing (ok), while laying down spells that are replicated by scrolls.  Access to T8/T9 powers are great ways to end standard battles in 10 seconds...  

I know you mentioned a dislike for Cipher, but as a single-class, it has some of the most powerful skills in the game, especially in a party... Ancestor's Memory and Defensive Web are borderline broken in parties.  Scratch that... broken if you build around this skills.  Cipher is a consistent contributor start to finish, especially if spamming Mind Blades, Whispers of Treason, and later Ringleader...  add in Disintegrate and Death from 1000 Cuts (boss killer), and you have a great contributor to any team setting.  I just played through on POTD Deadly Deadfire+ and without my CIpher, the megabosses would never have fallen... (side note of Salvation of Time, Barring Deaths, and Ancestors is crazy in group play).   If you have no interest in megabosses, I would dump the priest.  However, if you are completionist, I would chuck the Paladin for the Cipher (makes lower levels slightly more challenging, but in the end game, the Paladin offers nothing compared to the Cipher).

Hope this helps... and never be afraid to start over, you would be shocked how quickly you catch-up because you already know the game.

Thanks for your input, I will try some of your suggestions. You are correct I do not like multi-classing.