Go for the tanky route and put everything into Dragon Thrashed. Pick all defensie talents as well as Veteran's Recovery, Ancient Memory and Beloved Spirits and stack up healing bonuses.

You want high MIG, INT and non-dumped PER and CON and RES. DEX doesn't matter much once you get Dragon Trashed.

Weapon damage is irrelevant. Dragon Thrashed will be your main damage dealing tool. The rest should be focused on surviving.

You should take Mercy and Kindness as phrase at some point because it's healing bonus also works with Infuse with Vital Essence potion which will then give you back a lot of lost health (should you need it). After drinking said potion you can switch back to Dragon Thrashed only. 

And you can check out this TCS run with a chanter to get an idea:

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think it's easier to not use dual wieling but a strong shield (Little Savior for example), drop DEX entirely and let Dragon Thrashed and summons do the work for you.

I think I'd do something along the lines of:

MIG 18

CON 10

DEX 03

PER 17

INT 18

RES 10

without race and background bonuses. But honestly a few stat points here and there are not really important. Stats in general don't have such a big impact on your char's perfomance (I mean if we speak about 1-3 points here and there).

It's important to not get catched by hard CC (paralyze, petrify, stun, prone) when soloing. Those are the things that will kill you. You either have to equip and consume items which will protect you (Potion of Recovery, Little Savior, Fenwalker Boots etc.) or use abilites (Bear's Fortitude etc.) - best if both.

The most important defenses when soloing: fortitude and deflection, then reflex (against dragons' breath) then will (getting mind controlled is not a big problem). Dumping DEX will lower your reflex, but you can push it back up with a shield and weapon & shield style.

Also you shouldn't stick to one item setup. Best to adapt your gear to the upcoming encounters. For example you want to use the awesome Aila Braccia over Little Savior gainst Lagufaeth and against Thaos - while it's not good against melee attackers like Ogres.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

I think it's easier to not use dual wieling but a strong shield (Little Savior for example), drop DEX entirely and lets Dragon Thrashed and summons do the work for you.

I think I'd do something along the lines of:

MIG 18

CON 10

DEX 03

PER 17

INT 18

RES 10

without race and background bonuses. But honestly a few stat points here and there are not really important. Stats in general don't have such a big impact on your char's perfomance (I mean if we speak about 1-3 points here and there).

It's important to not get chatched by hard CC (paralyze, petrify, stun, prone) when soloing. Those are the things that will kill you. You either have to equip and consume items which will protect you (Potion of Recovery, Little Savior, Fenwalker Boots etc.) or use abilites (Bear's Fortitude etc.) - best if both.

The most important defenses when soloing: fortitude and deflection, then reflex (against dragons' breath) then will (getting mind controlled is not a big problem). Dumping DEX will lower your reflex, but you can push it back up with a shield and weapon & shield style.

Also you shouldn't stick to one item setup. Best to adapt your gear to the upcoming encounters. For example you want to use the awesome Aila Braccia over Little Savior gainst Lagufaeth and against Thaos - while it's not good against melee attackers like Ogres.

Thank You very much for Your answer. I will do that. 

What?

As a chanter you simply run around with Dragon Thrashed active, find a good place where only few enemies can attack you, tank the damage and just burn/slash the enemies with your chant. The more enemies in your reach the better.

Edited by Boeroer

A cipher can be quite tanky at higher levels due to stuff like Borrowed Insticts. In the earlier levels he can be tank-ish, but not comparable to a Paladin or Fighter.

Chanter is also never as tanky as those, but he can be tanky enough to survive longer than all his enemies who get burned/slashed down by Dragon Thrashed.

Fun facts:

1. Using Withdraw on a Chanter creates an untargetable, unkillable "totem" who still keeps singing chants (like Dragon Thrashed). Look out for the Black Sanctuary shield if you are solo. If you combine it with summons you can Withdraw without ending the encounter and keep dealing damage while also blocking chokepoints.
  2. Getting proned while wearing Little Savior or Solace + any other Preservation item (like Blaidh Golan) will give you +100 defenses (minus the prone debuff) - but you will still chant. Perfect setup against Ogres. You will lose no dps but gain a lot of defenses once they start smacking you down.
  3. Switching to a one handed setup gives Dragon Thrashed a +12 ACC boost. One Handed Style does NOT work. Combine with 1. or 2.